Advice on LBRP

foolMoon

Hi All

I have been practicing on LBRP recently, and just wondering if there are anything to watch out for, or any advice in performing or theoretical aspect of the ritual.

Thanks.

foolMoon

Not sure if this is off topic for this forum? Please somebody enlighten me. If it is, I am happy to delete / move the OP. Thanks.

Aeon418

It might help if you narrowed your question down a little. Can you be a little more specific?

foolMoon

The question prompted me, when I saw and read a few instructions about LBRP by posters on youtube, and then when I read instructions in the book (downloaded from internet) by Israel Regardie, The Golden Dawn: An Account of the Teachings, Rites and Ceremonies of the Order of the Golden Dawn.

The instruction in Regardie's book on LBRP seem somewhat different from other instructions, so I was wondering, if there are variations on LBRP, and if so, how and why? Also are there any general points to note in practicing LBRP, if any, for novice.

And if any of you, do practice the LBRP these days? or have done in the past?, and if so, what are your thoughts, feels and experiences from it. If not, why not …. etc etc :)

Thanks.

Barleywine

It's been a while now, but I recall the one I wrestled the most with was "vibrating the Names." I don't have a deep, gravelly baritone voice, so gutteral "vibrating" was a bit beyond me. But I just did my best (a little better than a "tenor whine," but not much).

Clockwork Ghost

There are a considerable number of differing variations on the LBRP - just putting 'LBRP variations' into Google returns over two thousand hits, and 'Banishing rituals' gets yet more hits. One thing to remember is that the LBRP is simply a cleaning technique - you do it to get rid of latent nasties before working with magick, it isn't the be all and end all for expelling negative forces. If you work with some spiritual presences, like the Goetic demons for instance, then the LBRP will do nothing at all - you give such things a license to depart, you don't just piss them off by trying to banish them.

As to an actual usage of the LRBP, 'vibrating' the names doesn't require a deep gravelly voice or most women wouldn't be able to perform it - you simply let your voice vibrate, much in the same way you do while trying to yodel. The names are written in Enochian, so you're pronouncing each letter precisely and in turn. Let each letter resonate, then move on to the next one.

Barleywine

One thing to remember is that the LBRP is simply a cleaning technique - you do it to get rid of latent nasties before working with magick, it isn't the be all and end all for expelling negative forces. If you work with some spiritual presences, like the Goetic demons for instance, then the LBRP will do nothing at all - you give such things a license to depart, you don't just piss them off by trying to banish them.

Good advice. I think I used it most recently for clearing as part of doing talismanic charging. But I haven't done anything with it for quite a while.

foolMoon

Thank you for your feedbacks. Indeed there seem a lot of info available on the variation of LBRP on the internet.

ravenest

yes, there are a lot of versions of it and similar rituals.

The first consideration is why ? Why do you want to practice it and what do you hope to achieve? That should be the first entry in your LBRP 'diary'.

Depending on this, should help you decide . I would not recommend youtube anything off hand, but would recommend Regardie. It depends whether you are just a curious reader or are actually going to do some practice?

"The instruction in Regardie's book on LBRP seem somewhat different from other instructions, so I was wondering, if there are variations on LBRP, and if so, how and why?"

Even that 'narrowed down' question is a big one. One simple thing that springs to mind is the directions of the elements, some change them, using their locality, others insist that is irrelevent as they are 'Kabbalistic directions' and some further say Kabbalistic directions are based on location (Israel) in the first place ... so you can see, already it has become a muddle and leads to more advanced concepts.

Its often a good idea to stick with one system and focus on that until a basic groundwork is established, get to know and understand the principles FIRST then, eventually, you may adapt it to your own needs, or experiment with variation.

"And if any of you, do practice the LBRP these days? or have done in the past?, and if so, what are your thoughts, feels and experiences from it. If not, why not …. etc etc "

That is a paper in itself. There is quiet a bit here on it, I know I have posted numerous times about it. Have you tried the search function? I dont want to write it all out again.... I might if you were a sincere and dedicated practitioner, but if you are just curious and seeking verbal or written explanation .... search function.

Just a comment on vibrating the names; I agree with C G that no deep voice is needed (Crowley's was a thin horrible wail ) just get it vibrating, feel it spread through your body and project it out, imagine a bell ring vibrating (which is a good analogy - see Crowley's chapter on the use of the magick bell *) , 'everything' should start vibrating in sympathy.

The word vibration has two parts, I agree with CG about letting each letter resonate but there is also the 'changing vibration', the effect of one vibration changing into another ... I percieve it as a 'analogue signal' and not a 'digital' one, that is not EEEE .. (stop).... AHHHH ..... OHHH But EEEYYAAHHHHOOOOO ( I A O is a good practice ... or A U M ) ) . I also think each letter should be drawn out equally (some seem to prefer A U MMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMM IAOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO )

* " .... During certain meditation-practices the Student hears a bell resound in the depths of his being. It is not subjective, for it is sometimes heard by other people. Some Magicians are able to call the attention of those with whom they wish to communicate at a distance by its means, or, so it is said.

" ... The sound of this Bell is indescribably commanding, solemn, and majestic. Without even the minutest jar, its single notes tinkle fainter and fainter into silence. At the sound of this Bell the Universe ceases for an indivisible moment of time, and attends to the Will of the Magician. ... The manifested shall repeat itself again and again, always a clear thin note, always a simplicity of music, yet ever less and less disturbing the infinite silence until the end. "

foolMoon

Thank you ravenest for your informative post. I am a beginner, but serious in learning the CM, so long journey ahead of me.

Why I started doing CM is, to learn more about Thoth Tarot and its background knowledge (maybe CM might be core of the Thoth deck, or it might not have anything to do with Thoth I am not sure at this stage, but the fact that CM is huge part of GD and Thelema means a great deal to me, and it seems to me they are are all interlinked.) and to enhance the ability & spiritual understanding of divination process.

For the first step, I started with the LBRP, which is to give magical environment for the Tarot reading. I think I read this passage in one of DuQuette's book, but cannot recall which one it was.

I just found out that it was from LMD's book "The Magick of Aleister Crowley" p.55
It says "The LBRP should proceed any magickal working or divinationary exercise. It is the magickal equivalent of cleaning, vacuuming and dusting the temple before operating. … The opportunity for magician to create magickal environment."

Definitely after the LBRP or some ritual, I could feel my mind is opening up a lot wider and deeper into the unseen world and readings into it with the Tarot.

For this, I am also reading up about Kabbalah, GD and Thelema, as I downloaded and also ordered a few books about them.