Pluto

opaloz

I'm a scorpio and was wondering now that they say Pluto is no longer a planet what fits for a scorpio nowadays.

Grigori

You might still want to use Pluto, though its been demoted astronomically, its not much different astrologically. Or you could look at the traditional ruler of Scorpio, Mars.

Interesting that a scorpio has a screen name based on Opal. I think Opal has a very Pluto-ish energy :)

opaloz

Pleased to note the opal-pluto connection, a bonus I choose the opal as it is one of Australia's well known gems and I love the firey colours.

Minderwiz

Forget Pluto, the real ruler of Scorpio is Mars (and always has been!)

If you absolutely must use Pluto in a chart reading, use it only when it very closely aspects an important Planet or angle - use an orb of one or two degrees at most.

Venusian

Hi, Im new to the forum.

But I would definately still use Pluto's Astrological implications while studying Scorpios characteristics. The fact that Astronomers dont recognize its importance is of little significance to Astrology. After all, Astronomers don't recognize the validity of Astrology at all!!

Star

Minderwiz

I realise I'm in a minority here because modern Western Astrology is dominated by psychologists rather than traditional Astrologers. There is a perception that every new Astronomical body must have some Astrological significance, when there is no (astrological) theoretical reason to support that view.

Astrology managed well for three thousand years or so without Pluto.

Astrologers only adopted Pluto because Astronomers had discovered it and (wrongly) classified it as a planet. In Western Europe and America Astrology was at that time only just coming back from virtual extinction, so the practising Astrologers had no full understanding of the origins and foundation of the craft.

Vedic Astrologers chose (quite rightly) to ignore it, as they had an unbroken tradition which kept them in touch with the foundations of Astrology.

There is a sound and explicit reason why Mars rules Scorpio and absolutely no sound reason why Pluto has anything at all to do with Scorpio. Indeed the Astrologers who felt that they had to do something about Pluto nearly made it ruler of Aries.

Venusian

Minderwiz said:
absolutely no sound reason why Pluto has anything at all to do with Scorpio.

I agree to disagree with you on this point.

However, if the original poster studies Vedic Astrology then clearly, she would not use Pluto.

If she studies Western Astrology then she could choose to use it.

If she wants to mix apples with oranges (being that they are two differenent sciences), as a beginner, she just may confuse herself.

So before I answered her question, rightfully, I should have asked her the type of Astrology she was interested in studying.

Minderwiz

Please give me a sound Astrological reason why Pluto is the ruler, or even associated with Scorpio (other than by defining it so)

Bernice

Zodiac Rulers:

Choosing an Astrological method/system is a personal thing - there's tons of them out there, with and without Pluto - and Opaloz should choose the one that she is most comfortable with.

Astrology is a System created by man and practiced by man. It's *rules* are not cast in iron, they are tweaked from generation to generation and from country to country.

If you invest intention and effort into anything, using anything, you can come up with a System that works for you. And in the end, that's what it's all about.

Best wishes. Bee.

Minderwiz

Yes, to be fair that's a reasonable point. Astrology is indeed a living craft with a history that dates back 3000 years. There have been many innovations in that time, some of which are still with us, such as the system of signs and sign rulership and others which have largely fell by the wayside, such as the large majority of the Arabic parts. My point is that such innovations should be seen as a natural development of the tradition rather than an arbitrary bolt on.

The original seven planets of Astrology have been used since prehistoric times, the myths which they symbolise are just as likely to have developed from observing their nature and behaviour than being imposed on them.

In the case of the outer planets, the naming of these planets has been done by Astronomers, with obviously no Astrological basis (as they rejected Astrology). The Pluto mythology may or may not be appropriate for this planetoid but it seems to me that modern Astrologers have tried to alter the nature of Scorpio to make it fit their idea of what they thinkPluto symbolises. And all this before Pluto has completed even half an orbit around the Sun. Indeed they seem to have some difficulty in separating the meaning of sign from planaet and indeed from house, if the prevalence of the Astrological alphabet is anything to go by.

If Pluto is to be used, then you should have a good reason for using it - it is dangerous to simply accept it as having Astrological significance simply because the text book says so.