Intensive Deck Study Support Thread ~ Part 2

shamoness

Change of Deck

I have decided to change my deck selection to the 'Pearls of Wisdom'. It wasn't even on my radar for the IDS. My Robin Wood has not been to cooperative as of late. The fact I don't totally care for it's illustrations right now isn't much help.
I spent some time this evening with my decks and the powers that be spoke loud and clear. So loud and clear I was quite taken aback. So Pearls of Wisdom for me, in no uncertain terms! lol

SolSionnach

Eugenia Madora said:
Ok, what a great idea!
I guess I will just have to get the DPO! :grin:

Yep - I went to a lot of trouble to trade for it, because it's not out in the US yet, but is in the UK.

I think it was worth the trouble! :)

Alamaris

Still chugging along (slowly but surely) with the Thoth. I haven't had a chance to do any studying, but I've done several more readings for friends. I had a chance to do more readings tonight, but after an absurdly chaotic campout/birthday party last night in which I was snuggled up with five people in a two person tent (and subsequently got no sleep, but a lot of cuddles and laugh attacks!), I was far too tired to concentrate on a spread.

Tomorrow morning I plan to start doing a daily three card reading -- "plan" mostly consisting of attempting to remember to do them. I'm probably going to go with an experimental Yesterday - Today - Tomorrow layout. I have no definitive study plan, but after I finish the novel I'm reading (hopefully by tomorrow night) I'm going to read Duquette's guide and possibly make a valiant attempt at muddling through the dreaded... Book of Thoth. :bugeyed:

Huzzah, new IDS has begun!

thorhammer

Alamaris said:
Tomorrow morning I plan to start doing a daily three card reading -- "plan" mostly consisting of attempting to remember to do them.
LOL! That's one of my major obstacles in trying to do dailies - although I'm usually pulling my cards out at any spare moment, I forget about the routine reading and get lost in the moment!
Alamaris said:
I have no definitive study plan, but after I finish the novel I'm reading (hopefully by tomorrow night) I'm going to read Duquette's guide and possibly make a valiant attempt at muddling through the dreaded... Book of Thoth. :bugeyed:
You're brave. We're here for you!

\m/ Kat

thorhammer

In my quest to explore the Wheel of Change in sets of cards, I came up against the Court cards. This was fine, as I started with the Disks and I understand that Suit and element quite well, and I could easily apply what I saw in those cards to discussing my own ideas. Plus, I've got those cards a few times in readings, which helps.

The next ones I tackled were the Wands. Problem. You see, in this deck, the creator (IMO) has given the Suit of Wands a very limited spectrum of qualities and energies. Basically, she has limited her discussion of the Wands cards due to her overuse of the word "creative", and having read the book cover to cover (what a major that was!) I must admit to being a little brainwashed about this. So I had to think about Wands and what they mean to me, and especially what this deck's Wands cards say to me.

I journalled my musings on this idea, and I've come up with some extensions of my original (nebulous) understanding of the Wands Suit. It was basically a conversation with myself (hence, I'm not posting it :D), but in the end, I decided that Genetti has truncated the power of the Wands by pinning it down with that one word. Mind you, I didn't have much more luck finding words, but then my brain's been fried recently. I came up with notions such as:

:arrow: enlivening
:arrow: life force
:arrow: decisiveness
:arrow: motivation
:arrow: inspiration
:arrow: optimism
:arrow: spiritual light
:arrow: divine spark
:arrow: upward
:arrow: transformative

I pulled out the Majors that I link with the Wands through their imagery alone (as I'm not familiar with the elemental associations of the Majors, and they're probably all changed in this deck anyway!): Magician, Emperor, Strength, Tower, Star, Sun.

Conclusion in my journal:
thorhammer said:
That which is under the influence of the Wands energy yearns upward, despite the mystery, in search of a higher plane of awareness.
If anyone would like to comment on this, I'd appreciate the input. I'm struggling with this set :) Thanks for reading a mammoth post!

\m/ Kat

Promise

That makes absolutely perfect sense to me, Kat!

Now, I am quite a...non-traditional...reader, in that most of my "stuff" comes from intuition, but when I think of the suit of Wands, I think of a wizard and all of the things I associate with that. Things that usually come to mind for me are the quest for enlightenment, passionate advancement, spiritual awareness, intuitive potential, divine inspiration.

I love what you've done in pulling Majors that correspond (in your mind) to the imagery of the suit! I may have to steal that idea!

Llynn

My IDS with the DruidCraft and the Druid Animal Oracle finishes today and I can truthfully say that I have enjoyed it. I loved the DC but after trimming the cards to just the image a definite bond developed.

I am going to continue using the DC for spreads but I am leaving the IDS. I want to work through 'The Secret Language of Tarot' by the Amberstones, and I will want to compare the RWS with the DC in the flesh so to speak. I hope to rejoin the IDS at the September Equinox - probably with the Voyager.

I enjoyed reading all the posts, even though I was not a contributor, and I want to thank everyone who shared their experiences.

Best wishes to all those continuing or just starting out.

Disa

Prism said:
I decided to try something similar since the one-a-day method doesn't work for me either. I like three-card spreads at the moment, but I'm trying to be more disciplined about journaling, since that's the only way I know I'm slowing down enough to really look at each card. So I'm going to try to journal all the cards from one reading before I allow myself to do another one. I journaled two cards from yesterday's reading already. I'm also going to try to add more to the study group, which, for the Golden, is pretty limited.

That's great, Prism. I hope it works out for you. It's really helping me alot. I also have the problem of not slowing down. I get the general gist of the cards and move quickly. Somethimes I think that's a good thing, and sometimes I think it's because I'm not paying enough attn? I'm really trying to find the balance, and pick out what's important. I'm really trying to gear everything toward reading for others. Hopefully I have some more face to face practice coming up soon. That's really the only way I'm going to learn, I think. Good luck!

Disa

Keavy McGee said:
Disa, thank you for the reminder about Tarot World Magazine. I've been too busy to read it!!

Keavy:heart:

YW! You better read it! There's good stuff in there :)

thorhammer

Thanks for your input, Promise - and you're more than welcome to "steal" the idea about the Majors! LOL I was at my boyfriend's house, and it's so cold we just hole up in the loungeroom with the gas heater on, and sitting in there with a puter just isn't all that viable, so I had no books to help me, and no AT, so I just had to improvise. I'm happy with what I came up with, and you've helped a lot, thanks!

Llynn, so good to hear from you! I'm glad you had a good time, and we look forward to hearing from you after the Equinox!!!

\m/ Kat