Intensive Deck Study Support Thread ~ Part 2

Hooked on TdM

Kilted Kat said:
I thought the ODW and the IDS were pretty much the same? There are virtually no books that go with the Tarot de Marseille.

There are a few books that go hand in hand. Tarot by Fred Gettings, Tarot by Alfred Douglas, The Tarot by Joseph Maxwell (horrible read), Tarot Classic by Kaplan, The Tarot by Paul Foster Case.. Those are just a few...

Hooked

Onyx

Good Weekend!

As the hours slip by and it becomes Monday I wanted to post and say that I had a good weekend Tarot wise.

First the class went really well and I think that I was able to do a good job and not confuse anyone too much.

Second, since in the class we focus on the RWS deck I was happy to get back to my IDS and I picked up a couple of extra e-mail readings this weekend and enjoyed just using the TdM. I got a couple of really good readings.

Third, after I was sorely tempted by a couple of decks I saw at the book store I was strong and didn't buy a single one. So though I am still looking at the Initiatory Tarot of the Golden Dawn and my new Dark Grimoire I have felt that I have stayed faithful to my pledge.

I am wondering however what it would be like to work with the nonscenic pips but with the meanings of a dark deck? Hmm . . . I may try to do a couple of experimental readings this week to see what happens.

Onyx.

firecatpickles

I just bought the Huson and the Maxwell (because I like his astrological correspondences). Thank you for the tips!

I am also planning to make a mini deck from my Hadar---for personal use, of course-----but may find it on a trading train one day. Need an emergency deck for my car ;)

SolSionnach

mosaica said:
I think I like the idea of the ODW better. I just can't get into "studying" particular decks anymore. I just want to read. Is the ODW still going on somewhere, or is this thread it for single deck commitments or passions? (Off to go check that out....)
I don't think that there are any current ODWs going on - perhaps you can revive a thread? There may be other people who are interested in that...
mosaica said:
There's certainly much to study with TdM! I suppose there are virtually no books published to go with specific TdM decks, but I am taking JMD's class on the Noblet.
Oh! How is that working out? I've been wanting to hear from someone what that study course is like.
mosaica said:
I must say that this is the first time that I've *ever* had the desire to have a backup copy (or two) of a deck because I feel like I'd be lost if anything happened to it.
I know that desire - but my advice is to not do it. Every backup copy I've ever gotten has had no use, and I've eventually sold them - all but my backup of the OOP Tarot of the Spirit, because I trimmed my original copy.
Onyx said:
As the hours slip by and it becomes Monday I wanted to post and say that I had a good weekend Tarot wise.
I am wondering however what it would be like to work with the nonscenic pips but with the meanings of a dark deck? Hmm . . . I may try to do a couple of experimental readings this week to see what happens. Onyx.
Now that's an interesting idea! I'm glad that you had a good weekend with the Tarot - my weekend was crammed and completely non-Tarot. I plan to rectify that today. :)
Kilted Kat said:
I just bought the Huson and the Maxwell (because I like his astrological correspondences). Thank you for the tips!

I am also planning to make a mini deck from my Hadar---for personal use, of course-----but may find it on a trading train one day. Need an emergency deck for my car ;)
How are you going to make the mini-deck? I love my Hadar, but the quality of the mini-Jodo/Camoin deck is quite high, and it's a good size (IMO) for a mini deck.

Speaking of second copies - I do have a second copy of the Hadar on order from Tarot Garden - I've had that on order for MONTHS, it seems. Now I'm wondering if I need to buy another one from amazon.ca... is the deck going OOP??

SolSionnach

Vieville pledge

I'm finally getting around to my IDS pledge when working with the Vieville. Between now and the December Winter (in the US) Solstice I will:
1) journal/blog daily draws at least 4 days/week with the Vieville (I know, that's stretching the meaning of 'daily' - but with my very variable schedule I need the freedom to skip a day)
2) continue working with Mel's elemental methods (see TdM forum) for the suits and pips, and do a comparison of the courts based on some of the exercises from the Greer/Little book on the courts
3) journal/blog all of the trumps, especially the ones which vary from the 'standard' TdM
4) allow myself one day a week to explore another deck, if I feel the need to. I'm calling this my 'pressure cooker' escape clause. I have noticed that I will start thinking about another deck ("Gee, I need to look at XXX deck again! Maybe I should read with it?") and that distracts me. In my experience, if I get said deck out and look at it, I find that, NO, I do not want to actually read with it, because the Vieville is so much better!

ETA: and I will post in this thread at least 4x/week. :)

firecatpickles

Hi, srvana, I have purchased this kit with software:

http://www.mcgpaper.com/playingcards.html

I plan on using my printer and then trimming the cards, as the Hadar is fairly elongated. Should prove to be interesting!

afrosaxon

I'm baaaaaaaaack...?

Hi all.,

I just got my Mystic Dreamer in the mail today. *happy dance*

I feel an IDS coming on...:cool:

What's the current general timeline for this round of IDS? From now till end of January-ish?

T.

thorhammer

afrosaxon said:
Hi all.,

What's the current general timeline for this round of IDS? From now till end of January-ish?

T.
Nah. Every man for himself now! I'm not even here (I'm a figment of your imagination! :D) and everyone else is all staggered, so you get to choose a start and finish time :) all for yourself.

*runs to Tarot Garden to look at Mystic Dreamer*

You know the hilarious thing? I just almost typed Mystic Creamer :laugh: . . . smutty })

\m/ Kat

SolSionnach

Kilted Kat said:
I plan on using my printer and then trimming the cards, as the Hadar is fairly elongated. Should prove to be interesting!
Hi KK - I'll look forward to how that turns out. I'm in the process of moving to Mac, but I'm going to have a windows emulator so I can still use some of my rad Windoze software (my high-end astrology program, among others).
What kind of paper do they say to use with this?
afrosaxon said:
What's the current general timeline for this round of IDS? From now till end of January-ish?T.
I think it's whatever you decide to do. I'm sticking with the Solstices/Equinoxes, but I missed the fall eq for starting with Vieville.
thorhammer said:
*runs to Tarot Garden to look at Mystic Dreamer*
You know the hilarious thing? I just almost typed Mystic Creamer :laugh: . . . smutty })
lol. You are *a.w.f.u.l.*
I went to look at it too... def. not my cuppa tea. But you go, afrosaxon grrl! :)

firecatpickles

sravana said:
What kind of paper do they say to use with this?

This product comes with sheets that have perforations that the cards pop out of.