View Single Post
Student of Astrology

Minderwiz 
Moon Void of Course (VOC)

Most users of lunar cycles are familiar with the term Moon Void of Course, but there are several definitions of this. I use a definition which William Lilly used and is a little more accurately stated by the medieval 'Arab' Astrologer, Sahl Ibn Bishr (he was actually Jewish)

The definition is that the Moon will be void of course if it does not apply to a major aspect before it leaves it's current sign. Notice that this definition only requires the Moon to apply to a major aspect to be not VOC. Many Astrology programs will calculate whether the Moon is VOC or not, but many either don't reveal how the calculation is done or don't allow the user to vary it (or both). I therefore do my own visual check of the chart even if the program claims the Moon is VOC

Describing the check takes a lot longer to describe than actually do. But here goes.

I have a two stage check (though I tend to merge these in practice)

Check 1

Look at the sign the Moon is in and it's degree. If there is a planet between the Moon and the end of the sign then it's not VOC.

If there is no such planet, check the aspects - there are four that you need to look at:

Sextile, Square, Trine and Opposition. In reality that means exclude the two signs either side of the Moon's sign and the two signs either side of the Moon's opposition sign. For the remaining 7 signs you've already checked the sign of the Moon) if there is any planet in a greater degree than the Moon in one of those signs then the Moon is not VOC.

Example

Moon is exactly 20 degrees Aries. If there is any planet in Aries and beyond 20 degrees the Moon is not VOC. If there is no such planet check for planets in:

Gemini and Aquarius (Sextile), Cancer and Capricorn (Square) Leo and Sagittarius (Trine) and Libra (Opposition). Any planet in more than 20 degrees of these signs means that the Moon is not VOC

check 2 - only use if the Moon is beyond 18 degrees of its sign

You also only use this check if check 1 has found no planet that the Moon is applying to I will use the example above with the Moon at 20 degrees Aries. Assume that check 1 has produced no planet in the last 10 degrees of a relevant sign.

The Moon could be applying to any planet in the first two degrees of a sign. The signs are now Taurus - the Moon would be applying to a conjunction.

Assuming no planet in the first two degrees of Taurus, then check the first two degrees of:

Cancer and Pisces (Sextile), Leo and Aquarius (Square) Virgo and Capricorn (Trine) and Scorpio (opposition)

If there is still no planet then the Moon is VOC.

In practice I look at the Moon's degree and then look for planets in a greater degree, checking the aspect if I find one, for check 1 and if I haven't found one I check the early degrees of signs, assuming that the Moon's orb crosses a sign boundary.

It actually takes less than a minute as there are only six planets to check.
Top   #3