Got My Scissors Out Again - this time, the THOTH gets it!

Eco74

*mumbles*

And now to see about that extra (another one) christmas perk for myself and to figure out what a "corner cutter" could possibly be called in swedish... :(

This is killing my social life aswell as my fun-funds, but then, tarot is fun right? Arts and crafts (including cutting stuff up) is fun too, right?
And those borders, well, the words can be used for something surely.
A "Crowley oracle" perhaps? Just poke them in a black satin&velvet bag and shake them about, pull one for someone you want to put a little bitty curse on and see what will irk them if the spell is successful. ;)

Anna

A "Crowley oracle" perhaps? Just poke them in a black satin&velvet bag and shake them about, pull one for someone you want to put a little bitty curse on and see what will irk them if the spell is successful.

Yeah, but Eco, can you imagine...

"Dear Uncle Al...please help. I am wondering how things will work out on my date tonight?"

*dips hand into bag*

Uncle Al says: RUIN! CRUELTY! DISPAIR!

Eco74

CharmingPixie said:

Uncle Al says: RUIN! CRUELTY! DISPAIR!

And hence the restriction for it only to be used for little bitty curses. ;)

Imagemaker

I am wondering how things will work out on my date tonight?"

*dips hand into bag*

Uncle Al says: RUIN! CRULETY! DISPAIR!

LOL!! But hey, better to know BEFORE you go!

What is tarot but a tool to take charge of your life path? Trimming borders is merely a small aspect of that empowering perspective to our daily choices.

Snip and be free, I say!

Centaur

Ooooo... losing the borders really bring these cards alive. However, I am not going to circumsize mine as of yet. I am sure I would end up snipping something out of place.

xviiirkna

Eco74 said:
and to figure out what a "corner cutter" could possibly be called in swedish...

Hi Eco74

The corner cutter I used for my Thoth snipping and other card making ventures is made by Fiskars. They are like craft scissors but have a guide on the blade you can insert a paper (or card) and *snip* you have a corner.

Here's a link to the webpage:

http://www.fiskars.com/en_US/crafts/category.do?cat=2&fam=3

I have the plain corner edger - they have ones that make fancy scalloped corners and such, and the one called 'Regal' looks like it might be good if you wanted a sharper corner than the plain one makes.

My corners are kind of 'squared off', but they are all uniform and I've been thrilled . Here's a picture that I scanned to post to another thread...my digital camera was on the fritz at the time, so Yaboot's pictures in this thread came out much nicer than my crooked scan - but you can see what I mean about the corners.
http://www.angelfire.com/in2/moonmagic/tarot/img/thothsnip.jpg

There are other kinds of corner 'punch' rounders...this is just the kind that I've used.

Have fun and good luck in your search to find something!

Blessings,
Sally Anne

Eco74

Thankyou Sally Anne!

Not only did I find an online store that carries them, but they are at a reasonable price too. :)

Will take a look at the local arts/crafts-store first and if they don´t have them I'll know where to look and how to order. *s*

DarkElectric

Oooooooooooooooooh!
Yaboot, I see what you mean...so much better, I think. I also like the way you rounded the edges. The cards do seem more alive to me. I believe you've started a fad, my friend. The circumcised Thoth ~ Never miss a bris!
Gods, ya gotta love it.................

Anna

I can't stop thinking about Uncle Al's Oracle, I am going to have to make one out of my keywords!

Anyone want to voulenteer for the first reading? })})})

*turns the Nine Inch Nails CD back on*

xviiirkna

Yaboot001 said:
What size Thoth did you cut? How has it changed your usage of the deck in the last year?

Hi Yaboot -

The deck I snipped was the large Swiss - but I still have a small Swiss with the borders. The de-bordered deck is now about the size of a regular playing card deck...only 80 cards thick.

I don't very often read for other people, so I've never used this deck for any thing other than personal readings or meditations. I really like to use it comparatively with other decks in a reading. I think it works great in that way with Tarot of the Crone (which also has no titles or keywords) and also the Light and Shadow Tarot.

When I read for myself, many times it's rather 'abstract'...I don't know how to explain this - I get a whole LOT out of my readings but it would probably take me hours to speak or write the words. The Thoth art is very kinetic....most of the time I relate to it with an archetypal message of the Tarot but the minors are the hardest for me, basically because my mind still tries to translate directly to the RWS. (learned habits are so hard to break!) Sometimes I just kind of let myself melt into the card and just soak up whatever happens to oooze out of the image.

I find these cards to be so much easier to enter into for meditation without the distraction of borders...I hardly ever used them before but now they are often my first choice.

But you know, I have not used them for a Moon reading yet - which I do quite often according to the phases, and now that you have me thinking specifically about the ways I use the Thoth...I'm not quite sure why I've never considered using it, except for the fact that perhaps my mind is conditioned to regard this as a highly masculine deck - which clashes with the feminine Moon energy. But really, Thoth without borders turns up the volume of Lady Frieda's passionate artwork...not to say Crowley still isn't there...I think I'm going to try it for my Full Moon reading at the end of the month. (thanks for nudging me to sort that all out!)

Hope I didn't ramble too much there...I do have the tendency. ;)

Blessings,
Sally Anne