How do you pronounce "tarot" aloud? (simplified poll)

Which of these most closely represents how pronounce the word "tarot" when speaking?

• Emphasis on FIRST syllable, with SILENT T (something like TA-ro)

Votes: 69 72.6%
  • Emphasis on FIRST syllable, with a T sound at the end (something like TA-rot)

Votes: 6 6.3%
  • Emphasis on SECOND syllable, with SILENT T (something like ta-RO)

Votes: 18 18.9%
  • Emphasis on SECOND syllable, with a T sound at the end (something like ta-ROT)

Votes: 2 2.1%

• Total voters

Nemia

I've heard it pronounced in German only as taRO, emphasis on the second syllable, no t, and that's how I say it. Germans argue whether it's a neuter (das Tarot) or masculine (der Tarot) noun. How wonderful that we have three options in German and can argue all night long!

In Israel, most people say TArott, and that's funny.

I had a bit of a shock when I heard on youtube for the first time people calling it tarrow ;-)

Sounds like three completely different things!

WolfSpirit

I am in the Netherlands, I picked the fourth option.
The Dutch dictionary says the third and fourth option are both used in the Dutch language.

SunChariot

For me, accent on the first syllable,not T at the end. I am in Canada, in Quebec but I and my family are English not French.

Babs

Cuilfaen

Talking english I use TAro (like the often named sparrow).
Talking german I use taRO.

Lycanthropos

TAY-row, as best as I can think to phonetically put it. :D

kalliope

Thanks for participating, everyone! (Not that the poll is closed or anything, vote away if you haven't yet!)

Leaving aside any issues of random sampling and population representation in the poll responders ;), I guess our results show that at least for native English speakers (since my guess is that statistically the majority of AT members speak English as their first language), the first syllable emphasis has probably become the norm, despite the French origin of the word. (We can be indifferent or frustrated about this, depending on our temperaments and background. ;) )

Pronouncing the final T isn't very common, and we've seen hints in the comments that some of those who do might be influenced by their mother tongue to do so.

I'm sure the results would be wildly different on a non-English forum. But this was fun and interesting nonetheless! :) :thumbsup: