The Lovers or 2 of cups?

Jrr94

Hello everyone!

I was wondering what you guys think about these two cards (especially in terms of love and romantic relationships) and which you'd rather like to see in a romantic/love reading? I recently drew out 2 of cups + 10 of Pentacles in a love reading and I honestly don't know what to feel about it (I also did another reading and got 6 of cups, idk if that's worth mentioning though!).

Anyways, I know it sort of sounds silly but with the way most people speak of the Lovers card, it seems ideal to receive this in a reading. It's almost as if it's the most meaningful, influential, unbreakable and/or passionate relationships are indicated with the Lovers as opposed to the 2 of Cups. It's like the Lovers > any other love card/card combination.

What do you guys think? And which cards do you think are good to receive in a love reading?

Laurelle

Lovers is a connection that affects your soul. You have no control over the fate of meeting this person. It was destined.

2 of Cups can be taken as "just a little romance." It's not a profound. It's something you have control over.

But how do you feel about these cards you drew? You must have some kind of feeling about what they mean. It will help you if you give your own interpretation. (Plus, it's part of the rules of this forum and any minute a mod is going to log on and tell you that you need to interpret the cards... ;) )

Jrr94

Lovers is a connection that affects your soul. You have no control over the fate of meeting this person. It was destined.

2 of Cups can be taken as "just a little romance." It's not a profound. It's something you have control over.

But how do you feel about these cards you drew? You must have some kind of feeling about what they mean. It will help you if you give your own interpretation. (Plus, it's part of the rules of this forum and any minute a mod is going to log on and tell you that you need to interpret the cards... ;) )

Ah, true true! I'm still new to this forum so I'm still remembering/getting the hang of the rules! So pardon me for my lack of information!

Well, I did feel that it could potentially be a strong connection. I also got a feeling that (for those who do believe in past lives, as I sure do) we had a past life connection. And funny enough, when I asked someone else for a reading if we did my intuition was right!

rwcarter

Moderator Note

Welcome to Aeclectic Jrr94!

Yes, when posting asking for help with card interpretations, you are required to provide your own interpretations first per the UTC Posting Rules. That includes any and all cards you feel you need to mention "just in case." Also be aware that complete readings of any number of cards (one through the whole deck) are discussed in the Your Readings forum, while up to half of the cards from a reading may be listed and/or discussed in UTC.

Thirteen

Well, I did feel that it could potentially be a strong connection.
That's fine, but what did you think of the 2/Cups + 10/Pents meant? How about the 6/Cups? Why did you draw that extra card anyway? We can't discuss the combo you got or the 6/Cups unless you tell us your thoughts on them first. We can discuss the 2/Cups vs. the Lovers, however.
most people speak of the Lovers card, it seems ideal to receive this in a reading. It's almost as if it's the most meaningful, influential, unbreakable and/or passionate relationships are indicated with the Lovers as opposed to the 2 of Cups. It's like the Lovers > any other love card/card combination.
The Lovers is a major, and the 2/Cups is a minor. Also 2/Cups is a "2" meaning it's still at at fragile starting point and might not come to fruition (this goes for any couple, even a long-time married one). So, yes, the Lovers is the card that indicates a past life connection, or just a "soul" connection. Can you feel something powerful with the 2/Cups and might a past life connection exist? Yes. But tarot cards are advisors--they tell you what you may not want to hear but should know. And in this case, they're saying that however wonderful and instant and powerful the feeling you are getting from this person, you two need more time together before you put a ring on each other's finger labeled "soulmate."

Essentially, the Lovers gives you the feeling of: "This one no matter what" and the feeling that you'll regret this for a very long time if you refuse it. It's your soul's choice. But that doesn't mean you can't refuse it. Just that it's going to be difficult to do that, and you will be left wondering if you made the right decision. Not so with 2/Cups. If you get to know this person and find they've bodies in the basement, you might well say to you new amour, "Look at the time, gotta go," and call the police, no regrets. But with the Lovers you might well say, "Can I help you bury those, sweetheart?" :joke:

tarot_quest

The Lovers is a major, and the 2/Cups is a minor

This question was on my mind since a long time. I first thought that the Lovers is stronger in terms of feeling, but I have read so many times on AT that the Lovers is more about CHOICES than anything else. So since the Lovers is a major, should we say that love is greater and stronger than for the 2 of cups?

Same question for the Ace of cups. Since it is a burst of emotion and the first card of the suit, does it mean that the love effect is ''weaker'' than lets' say 2 of cups, even when you know someone for a long time and that the crazy love as disappeared?

Essentially, the Lovers gives you the feeling of: "This one no matter what" and the feeling that you'll regret this for a very long time if you refuse it. It's your soul's choice. But that doesn't mean you can't refuse it.

I like it: your soul's choice... :) So in a relationship that has a great potential, are we aiming for the energy of the Lovers card? (rather than 2 of cups or ace of cups)?

Grizabella

I rely on card combinations a lot when doing a reading. Tarot is a lot like tofu. Each card takes on the "flavor" of the other cards around it in a spread. In this case, with the Lovers and 2 of Cups in the same reading, I'd consider the meaning as being that you need to make a choice whether or not to act on the attraction you've felt for a particular person. You've met and sparks flew (2 of Cups) so that "flavors" the Lovers card into taking on a romantic bent. If you had also drawn the 3 of Cups (rejoicing with friends) and the 4 of Wands (celebration of an event, which could be a wedding) then you've added more "seasoning" to read the Lovers as significant choice to make in the romantic sense. Being a Major card, this means that it's possible it will be a "soulmate" type of relationship.

But you've just gotten the Lovers paired with the 2 of Cups at this point so it means you're just at the very threshold of a possible romantic relationship and have a choice as to what you want to do about it. The possibility is there, so do you want to go for it or just let it be? :)

Thirteen

This question was on my mind since a long time. I first thought that the Lovers is stronger in terms of feeling, but I have read so many times on AT that the Lovers is more about CHOICES than anything else. So since the Lovers is a major, should we say that love is greater and stronger than for the 2 of cups?
Yes--but there's another factor as well to the difference. If we're using Rider-Waite associations, the the Lovers is Gemini, and air sign, while the 2/Cups is, as cups, water. Air is the mind (and feelings associated with the mind, like harmony, beauty) and water is "emotions" meaning those heart-related stuff like sorrow, joy and mushy romantic feelings. Sorrow, joy, and that first starry-eyed romantic stuff can trick you, make you think it's something real when it isn't. Like looking at something through water. It's blurry and not clear. The Lovers, in spite of its name, is someone, or something you see clearly. This is why there's that "choice" aspect to it.

Example: (2/Cups) You go into a pet store and see the cutest little puppy you've ever seen. It's hearts-and-flowers *love* and you buy the puppy and take it home. But puppy keeps you up at night, shreds your slippers, you can't housebreak it no matter what you try, and it bites your friends. You're not so much in love with the puppy now, are you? (Lovers) you go to a rescue place and see a battered dog, and in spite of it's looks, you feel a connection. This is your dog. You know, without having to ask, that this dog has problems and you're both going to have to work through those problems. You still take the dog home.

So, with eyes open, you make a conscious choice with the Lovers; with 2/Cups, you just "feel" something.
So in a relationship that has a great potential, are we aiming for the energy of the Lovers card? (rather than 2 of cups or ace of cups)?
No. We're aiming for the 10/Cups; quiet, mature love that is an example to future generations ;) Look, the Lovers card can be wonderful, but it can also be the story of some man with a faithful wife and kids who leaves them for some some other woman. Granted, that woman is the one for him, but his decision to go for her leaves a mess and a lot of hurt. The Lovers rarely indicates an easy choice. If it did, it wouldn't be worth it. Romeo and Juliet choose death rather than be parted. Bonnie choose a life of crime to be with Clyde. The energy of the Lovers card certainly has great potential for a relationship, but the resulting story of that relationship might not be so great. :)

Jrr94

Welcome to Aeclectic Jrr94!

Yes, when posting asking for help with card interpretations, you are required to provide your own interpretations first per the UTC Posting Rules. That includes any and all cards you feel you need to mention "just in case." Also be aware that complete readings of any number of cards (one through the whole deck) are discussed in the Your Readings forum, while up to half of the cards from a reading may be listed and/or discussed in UTC.

Thank you! And my apologies, I'll remember that for next time :)

Jrr94

That's fine, but what did you think of the 2/Cups + 10/Pents meant? How about the 6/Cups? Why did you draw that extra card anyway? We can't discuss the combo you got or the 6/Cups unless you tell us your thoughts on them first. We can discuss the 2/Cups vs. the Lovers, however.

The Lovers is a major, and the 2/Cups is a minor. Also 2/Cups is a "2" meaning it's still at at fragile starting point and might not come to fruition (this goes for any couple, even a long-time married one). So, yes, the Lovers is the card that indicates a past life connection, or just a "soul" connection. Can you feel something powerful with the 2/Cups and might a past life connection exist? Yes. But tarot cards are advisors--they tell you what you may not want to hear but should know. And in this case, they're saying that however wonderful and instant and powerful the feeling you are getting from this person, you two need more time together before you put a ring on each other's finger labeled "soulmate."

Essentially, the Lovers gives you the feeling of: "This one no matter what" and the feeling that you'll regret this for a very long time if you refuse it. It's your soul's choice. But that doesn't mean you can't refuse it. Just that it's going to be difficult to do that, and you will be left wondering if you made the right decision. Not so with 2/Cups. If you get to know this person and find they've bodies in the basement, you might well say to you new amour, "Look at the time, gotta go," and call the police, no regrets. But with the Lovers you might well say, "Can I help you bury those, sweetheart?" :joke:

For me, I thought the 2/Cups + 10/Pents just meant the potential for a strong connection. I pulled an extra card as I felt the need to reassure myself of my belief and got that! So all in all, I'm just getting a whole "something CAN happen, but it's not really fated to happen or not happen" if that makes sense.

Also thank you for your interpretation of the Lovers and 2/Cups. It's some food for thought for myself.