Study Notes: Valens Anthology

Minderwiz

Valens also introduces an alternative house system based on the Lot of Fortune, which takes the first house, and that gives information about how fate, fortune and luck affects the various areas of your life. It is sometimes referred to as the Circle of Athla

CosmicBeing

Thank you for your explanation to all my question. I understand it now.

I read through chapter 1 & 2 and been practicing some of the methods on celebrities. I haven't added in the idea of trines and such yet.

But, I did try celebrity chart. You say that the lot of fortune becomes the Asc and this can show how fortune affects different areas of life. If I remember correctly. There is some writing in the book that say that if the lot of fortune is in the 12th that is not a positive sign....

There is one lady I did the chart of...
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Priyanka_Chopra

Born: July 18, 1982, 1:05 AM
In: Jamshedpur, Bihar (India)

I did whole signs... and I did it in tropical.

If you want me to attach a chart I will. While I did add in trines or sextiles into the analysis yet...this is what I got.

Asc= Taurus @ 22d59m
2nd=gemini=Moon & Venus
3rd=cancer=Sun, Mercury, Lot of fortune
6th=Libra=Saturn(exalted), Mars(detriment)
7th=scorpio=Jupiter
12th=Aries=Lot of spirit & Lot of exaltation(base on night calculation)
Exalt(night)=Asc+3 Taurus-Moon=25d59m Taurus+3 Taurus-13d7mGemini

Night Sect=Moon=Gemini
Mercury-Saturn-Jupiter (triplicity)

1st half=Mercury=3rd (cadent/proceeds) shares house with venus
Modest life?

2nd half=Saturn in 6th (cadent/proceeds) Exalted

Jupiter=7th Angular (good)

This makes me scratch my head.. because the history she shares and is told about her on that link shows to me a pretty blessed life. I mean yea she had to work to get where she was. But, not sure if the Saturn exalt overpowers the cadent position.

Lot of fortune=Cancer=Moon
Lot of fortune in 3rd, Mercury and Sun sits in the same house with it.
Lord in Natal 2nd (succeeded/following)
Moon in 12th from lot of fortune. Shares house with Venus

Lot of Exaltation=Aries=Mars
lot of Exaltation in 12th shares house with Lot of spirit
Lord in natal 6th in detriment and cadent house
Mars in 4th from fortune angular detriment sits with saturn(exalted)

Lot of Spirit=Aries=Mars
Lot of Spirit in 12th shares house with lot of exaltation
Lord same as exaltation.

Aren't succedent/succedant houses suppose to be more prosperous than cadent? In addition isn't lot of fortune in 12th not suppose to be that favorable unless I suppose the triplicity lords show something positive?

" Its effects are more moderate when it is found at
the other angles or just following an angle. When it precedes an angle these are the disagreeable places which bring crises and ruin"

While there is probably a lot missing here and this is just a superficial look. But, am I doing something wrong? If you need me to post a chart. I can do that.

Minderwiz

Yes, it doesn't look good for Valens! But how accurate is that birth time? I did a trawl around and found at least three birth times for her, running from 00:30 t0 01:30. The latter one puts the triplicity rulers into Succeedent houses, It also has a Pisces tenth which seems to fit in with a succesful actress and singer (Venus is exalted).

That chart yields a Gemini Ascendant, with Mercury in the second - she's identified with money, which oddly she is, though not in the normal way. The Moon lies in the first house so Fortune has a direct link to the Ascendant. Venus is also in the Ascendant and rules the fifth house. which is the house of Good Fortune (and also associated in modern times with the leisure and entertainment industry. The Lot of Sprit shifts to the eleventh house , which is the House of the Good Spirit. She's got some ability to influence things and the eleventh is also the house of friends (and sponsors).

Even so the chart doesn't shout eminence by any means.

I've not looked at her zodiacal releasing periods, but I don't expect anything wonderful to be shown, given the rather disappointing chart. I'll probably do that anyway, just to see which of the charts fits best with her known career.

CosmicBeing

I got her birth information from here:

http://www.astrotheme.com/astrology/Priyanka_Chopra

While I am not sure how accurate it is... maybe looking at a site from india may prove a more accurate birth information and it may not considering she was born and mostly raised in India.

Well use the time you think is best. It sounds like the latter aligns the best for her. It would be interesting to see your mind process of executing a zodiacal release.

Would she be the type of person that needs rectify birth-chart?

Thank you for double checking my work.

Minderwiz

A couple of additional points, using the 1:30 birth time, the ruler of the tenth (Jupiter) is in the sixth. Normally that would seem a bad placement but as part of what she does is philanthropic, relating to health of children, the ruler of the tenth in the house of sickness and disease seems to fit again in the sense that much of her action are in the field of Heath. Incidentally (this also works for the 1:05 chart where Saturn rules the tenth through Aquariud is placed n the sixth. (Libra). In the 1:30 chart Libra is the fifth ruled by Venus.

The other point is that Valens seems to have used a sidereal zodiac as the basis for his charts (Vernal point= 5 Aries, I think). At that time the Sidereal and Tropical zodiacs were more or less in line.

What is the view of this chart amongst Jyotish practitoners, using a sidereal zodiac?

Minderwiz

Looking at her ZR Periods, a new major period began in March 2005, the precursor to this was a 12 month Libra period, which shows a focus on fifth house matters. As well as having links to entertainment, the fifth is also obvioulsy the House of children and children seem to be very important to her. This would be a busy period, as the radical fifth is angular to Fortune in Cancer, it appears to coincide with her becomng an established actress. Apparently the films from his period were not well received, which is not surprising with both malefics in the house.

The new period beginning in March 2005 is a Gemini period and therefore focuses primarily on her as a person. That period is still continuing at Level I, and will do so until 2022. A Gemini Level 2 period ran for the first year, thus the focus is almost solely on her but whilst she didn't get huge critical acclaim, her volume of output was such that 2006 (a Cancer year) brought in quite a lot of income. Cancer is her second house or money and resources. This Cancer period lasted till November 2008 and marked a change in the critics view of her. It was followed by a Leo period (her third house) during which she seemed to be seen as a much better actress and clearly was communicating with both critics and audiences. The ruler of her third is the Sun and this is also placed in the second house so this period and the subsequent Virgo period (Mercury is also in the second) show her becoming an established movie star, with international appeal. The Virgo period is fourth house (accumulated wealth and possessions) and after it started in June 2010 she became a UNICEF Goodwill ambassador and also made significant donations including sponsoring a tigress and a lioness.

In 2012 she had a short Libra period during which she signed for the Creative Artists Agency and travelled to the US to work on an album. the period culminated in September with the release of a single, which was a commercial success.

In October she moved into a Scorpio period. Scorpio is her sixth house and it's ruler Mars is in her fifth. This period ran till December 2013. During this period she donated money to build a Cancer Ward, named after her father and opened by her.

I haven't got a date for her foundation, but it wouldn't surprise me if a foundation related to the Health of children wasn't started around this time. or during the 2012 Libra period. Mars and Saturn lie in her fifth house, and these rule her sixth, seventh and eight houses. the malefics in the fifth might well signal her interest in children who are at risk or are liable to disease and injury.

Minderwiz

Priyanka Chopra: Valens not guilty?

I've been doing some research to try and find whether there are any circumstances in which Valens could have seen Chopra's eminence even with this chart. Certainly she doesn't really score on Valens eminence indicators, so it should be a middling to weak nativity (depending on when she was actually born but assuming it was somewhere between Midnight and around 2:00 a.m.

I didn't seem to be able to find a defence for him, till tonight, when I was reading Chris Brennan's new book Hellenistic Astrology: The study of Fame and Fortune.

He has a section on the Moon's Nodes, the main thrust was that not much was said about the nodes by the early Hellenistic Astrologers. He makes the point that Rhetorius (around the sixth to early seventh centuries) attributes the Ascending Node (North Node) with boosting benefics that are configured to it and weakening malefics who are configured to it. But then he briefly mentions Valens' statement in Book 1 :

It will be necessary to examine if benefics are in aspect with these positions, especially with the ascending node. If so, the nativity will be prosperous and effective. Even if the nativity is found to be average or inclined toward diminution, the native will ascend and rise to a high rank. Malefics portend upsets and accusation. (Chapter 16: A Handy Method For Finding the Ascending Node).

So an otherwise middling to poor nativity can become a good one if one or more benefics are configured with the Ascending Node. Looking at Chopra's chart, the Ascending (North) Node lies in Cancer, at13 degrees, next to the Lot of Fortune at 14 degrees and in particular, trined by the Benefic Jupiter, from Scorpio.

By modern standards it's wide orb, as Jupiter has only just entered Scorpio, but it does make an aspect by sign, but it is still a configuration (Valens does not restrict the trine to a tighter orb).

So we now have some wriggle room for Valens but is it enough?

We haven't got access to exactly what Valens means in this statement. Does he want both benefics to be configured? Venus in Gemini is averse to the Node. If he does then there's no reason to apply this qualification.

Does he want a degree based aspect? He uses the word configuration which incorporates sign based aspects. but he doesn't use a stronger word for a degree based aspect.

Jupiter is the out of sect benefic. It's not the most benefic in this chart, that's Venus and Jupiter is placed in the sixth which is not a good place to be (The Place of Bad Fortune). But Valens doesn't qualify his statement by requiring the benefic to be in an operative place (and he does just that for some other benefic configurations.

So it appears that Valens, if we take this statement as it stands, allows Chopra to become eminent through Jupiter aspecting the North Node. I would be happier if he had said both benefics or confined it to the benefic of sect, or required a closer aspect. I think most modern Astrologers would not think much of this, without the closer aspect, but then I think in the absence of more details, we have to give Valens the benefit of the doubt.

CosmicBeing

This will be a quick response for now. I will be able to come back tomorrow for a better.

Well on the point of vedic...They would first look to see what nakshatra and pada the planets sit in. I notice in the first chapter of the book they have a description for certain degrees of a sign that is usually broken up into 4 sections. Not too different from vedic honestly unless I misunderstood that.

Then they would look to see if there is any yoga... this is like special configuration that indicate some very positive or negative.

Where it sits.

From what I notice vedic doesn't deem a house totally 'evil'...i mean there are houses that are unpleasant or not favorable. But there is always someone who can prosper off of a house even if it seems like not a great thing. In addition they characterized loaners and such as unkind (lightly put)...I don't think they considered someone giving a loan with interest morally right.

Then they would look to Dasha periods and which one will come up. Dasha periods are counted from the Nakshatra & pada the moon sits in if I remember correctly. Anyway... if she entered into a prosperous time for the dasha.

Then the Dasha lord will become it's own chart... so if she says enter venus period and venus is (I can't remember the specific house it sit in for her) in 2nd house. The second house will become 1st house...then that chart will be read as a birthchart to tell what events may happen during that time period or themes.

It honestly doesn't seem that different from Hellenistic except for maybe how they construct it... but at the root it has the same goal.

Some people in vedic also add fixed stars that are found only in certain nakshatra.. if a planet conjuncts or even in opposition that can be favorable depending on the fixed star being analyzed.

There are a few more points I have to add... but each planet works for a certain house and for another planet. You can find what planet is working for another planet by seeing what planet rules the nakshatra this "working" planet sits in.

Most peoples charts will end up having 3 planets being worked for by 3 other planets. I think there is a level of karmic thinking there... but I may be wrong I would have to read up on that again.

Minderwiz

This will be a quick response for now. I will be able to come back tomorrow for a better.

Well on the point of vedic...They would first look to see what nakshatra and pada the planets sit in. I notice in the first chapter of the book they have a description for certain degrees of a sign that is usually broken up into 4 sections. Not too different from vedic honestly unless I misunderstood that.

Then they would look to see if there is any yoga... this is like special configuration that indicate some very positive or negative.

Where it sits.

From what I notice vedic doesn't deem a house totally 'evil'...i mean there are houses that are unpleasant or not favorable. But there is always someone who can prosper off of a house even if it seems like not a great thing. In addition they characterized loaners and such as unkind (lightly put)...I don't think they considered someone giving a loan with interest morally right.

Hellenistic doesn't deem places as totally 'evil' either. Certain places are inoperative - that is they aren't conducive to the business of the planets (their role in your chart). All these places are those which don't aspect the Ascendant - the 2nd, 6th, 8th, and 12th. Of these all but the 2nd don't deal with pleasant things - sickness, death (but also the partner's money), and Enemies (though this can show bad things happening to your enemies so it's not unpleasnt at that point). The sixth is knows as the Place of Bad Fortune, and the Twelfth as the Place of the Bad Spirit - but again they can indicate things which we wouldn't necessarily see as bad. I came across the chart of someone who had the Ascendant ruler in the Place of Bad Fortune. It turned out he was a doctor working in a hospital. He was actually dealing with the Bad Fortune of others. It was that chart that made me thing that Mars ruling the sixth in Chopra's chart might actually be the connection between Children and Health, that her foundation focusses on.

CosmicBeing said:
Then they would look to Dasha periods and which one will come up. Dasha periods are counted from the Nakshatra & pada the moon sits in if I remember correctly. Anyway... if she entered into a prosperous time for the dasha.

Then the Dasha lord will become it's own chart... so if she says enter venus period and venus is (I can't remember the specific house it sit in for her) in 2nd house. The second house will become 1st house...then that chart will be read as a birthchart to tell what events may happen during that time period or themes.

It honestly doesn't seem that different from Hellenistic except for maybe how they construct it... but at the root it has the same goal.

Some people in vedic also add fixed stars that are found only in certain nakshatra.. if a planet conjuncts or even in opposition that can be favorable depending on the fixed star being analyzed.

There are a few more points I have to add... but each planet works for a certain house and for another planet. You can find what planet is working for another planet by seeing what planet rules the nakshatra this "working" planet sits in.

Most peoples charts will end up having 3 planets being worked for by 3 other planets. I think there is a level of karmic thinking there... but I may be wrong I would have to read up on that again.

Valens uses a Time Lord system based on either the Lot of Fortune (for Health and wellbeing) or the Lot of Spirit (for career and social ativity). That system assigns periods, starting with the Lot itself (Aries in this case) and runs that period according to the lesser years of Mars (15 years) but that period subdivides into Level 2 periods (very roughly a year) and into Level 3 or Level 4 (months and days). So at any one time there could be 4 Time Lords (though at the lower level they might rule for only a few days). The Level 1 (Mars to begin with) sets the overall tone of the period. The other Lords set the tone of the year or Month, etc. This system can be linked to transits for timings. In Chopra's case the Lot of Spirit stays in Aries, even if the birth time is varied between midnight and 1:30 a.m. That alters the Places that are active. So the period starting in 2005 has the second Place active in the 1:05 a.m. chart. That characterises the current period as primarily second Place, rather than first. So the focus is on money and her substance. That seems to fit too. The third, fourth and fifth, sixth and seventh are also activated in subsequent main periods

It would be good to have a better chronology than Wikipedia provides, to see if her activities fit any better to the time periods.

CosmicBeing

Yea, there are probably articles and wikipedia is probably not the most trusted voices.

I am assuming you use the profections option in the Morinus program?

I haven't gotten to the chapter yet for zodiac release...I assume that starts being explain through the remaining books I have left..chapter 3 and on.

I hope to get the chris brennan book soon.

https://sites.google.com/site/astrovalens/
I downloaded this because it said it was inspired by Chris Brennan (sp?) for his class.