Study Notes: Valens Anthology

CosmicBeing

Also wanted to say thanx for double checking my work and looking closer into the chart to explain how it all played out for her.

CosmicBeing

The Virgo period is fourth house (accumulated wealth and possessions) and after it started in June 2010 she became a UNICEF Goodwill ambassador and also made significant donations including sponsoring a tigress and a lioness.

Could this also tie into virgo being 6th from lot of spirit?

RohanMenon

Book 3 Section 2: The Significant Degrees of the Anngles

This seems to be essentially the porphyry house system - the angles between ASC and IC (for example) being divided into 3 equal houses.
Then the first of each quadrant's houses - so 1st, 4th, 7th, 10th are considered the "operative" degrees, and the planets therin being considered powerful, and the remaining 2/3d being 'inoperative'.

Which seems to be a way of saying that 'angular' planets are powerful, the house system being porphyry.

There is a bit of refinement

"So then, the first third from the Ascendant will be operative and powerful, the second third will be average, the third third will be crisis-producing and bad. The stars [in these regions] will act in the same way"

this would seem to map into the 'modern' concept of angular/succedent/cadent houses being of decreasing "power", just that the house system used is Porphyry.

Minderwiz

Yes it is Porphry, which means Porphry didn't invent it, as he's later 3rd Century, a century or more after Valens died. The same is true of Regiomontanus and Placidus, which were in use long before their eponymous Astrologers lived.

RohanMenon

"Yes it is Porphry, which means Porphry didn't invent it,"

Good point.

Minderwiz

CosmicBeing said:
Yea, there are probably articles and wikipedia is probably not the most trusted voices.

I am assuming you use the profections option in the Morinus program?

I haven't gotten to the chapter yet for zodiac release...I assume that starts being explain through the remaining books I have left..chapter 3 and on.

I hope to get the chris brennan book soon.

https://sites.google.com/site/astrovalens/
I downloaded this because it said it was inspired by Chris Brennan (sp?) for his class.

I have bought the Brennan Book, it's good 697 and pages long, I'm just under half way through at the moment. It's very well sourced and has excellent footnotes, It's also very readable. Apparently Chris is now including the book free for anyone who signs up to his course (I'm already a member). Seems to cover most things, including Zodiacal Releasing, though he has not addressed the length of life calculation. In the forward he says that is an area he will cover in a second book, assuming her writes one.

CosmicBeing

Would it be a better choice to use Porphry? That astrology software made up for chris brennan default is porphry.

Minderwiz

Would it be a better choice to use Porphry? That astrology software made up for chris brennan default is porphry.

It's Whole Sign Houses for Topics (chart interpretation) Porphry is only used for assessing planetary strength in the Length of Life Calculation. That's fairly standard for Hellenistic Astrologers, the two house systems have different purposes and uses. Quadrant systems measure the strength of planets in terms of angularity, but there's no topical interpretation, even though the names of the places are confusingly the same.

RohanMenon

Book 3 Section 3 : the vital sector

In the first paragraph, Valens says that some astrologers calculate the rising times from the aphetic place to a point square to it, and (somehow) using this time to predict the life span of the native, but often this results in error.

In the second paragraph, Valens seems to propose a more refined procedure, which, as best as I can make out, is as follows.

1. Determine if the Sun, Moon, or Ascendant is the apheta.
2. Calculate the rising times from the aphetic point to a point 90 degrees away from it. The time (in what units?) is the number of years the native is expected to live *if*
3. the house ruler (this is the term lord of the apheta iirc) is in its own terms, has contact or is in aspect with the apheta, and if no anareta applies its rays and deducts from the number of years.

If the house ruler is *not* in aspect with the controller (which is the same as the apheta iirc) but is well configured overall (in the ASC or MC) it will allot a full span of years. If not at the other angles (so if not angular?) it will deduct a portion of its years.

(more to come. working slowly through this section)

Minderwiz

In the first paragraph, Valens says that some astrologers calculate the rising times from the aphetic place to a point square to it, and (somehow) using this time to predict the life span of the native, but often this results in error.

Valens points out that there are nativities of people that go past the square. This is especially the case where Signs of Short Ascension are involved. In the Northern Hemisphere these are Capricorn through to Gemini, i.e. those associated with the period from the Winter Solstice through to the Summer Solstice. The remaining signs from Cancer to Sagittarius are called Signs of Long Ascension.

It is the Ascension times that determine the number of years. Ascension times are simply the number of degrees that pass over the Midheaven during the time that the Sign rises. So you might find that say 35 degrees pass over the MC during the time that the 30 degrees of Virgo rises. Whereas for Aries it might be 25 degrees passing over the MC whilst the Aries rises. The difference stems from the tilt of the Earth and it's angle to the Sun as it orbits, causing the seasonal change.

The rising times measured in degrees crossing the MC, is converted directly to years. So in the above examples Virgo would have a rising time of 35 years for the calculation, whereas Aries would have 25 years. So if the four signs in the square aspect are short ascension, the total life span might be 70 or 80 years, quite common during the second century CE, according to some experts. However with Signs of Long Ascension the total 'years' might be 120, which is virtually impossible in Valens era (and almost so today)

RohanMenon said:
In the second paragraph, Valens seems to propose a more refined procedure, which, as best as I can make out, is as follows.

1. Determine if the Sun, Moon, or Ascendant is the apheta.
2. Calculate the rising times from the aphetic point to a point 90 degrees away from it. The time (in what units?) is the number of years the native is expected to live *if*
3. the house ruler (this is the term lord of the apheta iirc) is in its own terms, has contact or is in aspect with the apheta, and if no anareta applies its rays and deducts from the number of years.

If the house ruler is *not* in aspect with the controller (which is the same as the apheta iirc) but is well configured overall (in the ASC or MC) it will allot a full span of years. If not at the other angles (so if not angular?) it will deduct a portion of its years.

(more to come. working slowly through this section)

The Predominator, (Sun, Moon, Horoskopos occasionally MC) is obtained using the method we've looked at. If the Oikodespotes (Bound ruler) is badly placed it too might be eliminated. In which case there isn't a ruler.

In these cases Valens directs the degree of the Ascendant in zodiacal order (towards the IC) till it reaches the square to it's position. If the Ascendant were at 8 degrees Gemini, and MC at 28 degrees Aquarius. the square from The Ascendant would complete at 8 degrees Virgo. However as the IC is at 22 Leo and this ends the process. The years (in terms of rising times) are calculated up to the IC.

Where there is a ruler, Valens modified his calculation to take into account the years given by the ruler. This corresponds to the Greater, Mean or Lesser years of he planet in question.

I've added a table of those planetary years as an attachment.

Attachments

• PlanetaryYears.pdf
    18.6 KB · Views: 230