Declining a reading

Arania

Well that depends. Did the boy want a reading and the mother was asking because normally a child will have trouble getting a reading? Or did the mother want to push the boy into it? The latter is always a no no for me, no matter the gae of the people involved.

DownUnderNZer

That was my stance for years - no one under 18 years of age! Until I met an exceptional 6 year old reader (Psychic/Medium) and her only limitation was "limited vocabulary".

I still have some rules though and will not read just for anyone.

As for "declining" certain questions - you have to go with what you feel is right.

DND :)

I got a request from a mother, to read for her 13 year old son.

Seriously? I don't know if you can read to teens, but to me it felt wrong. Just wrong.

I politely said no and added "While tarot is not a bad tool, I don't think a young person would know what to do with the in depth information."

I don't think a 13 year old, no matter how mature they may be, has the emotional intelligence of an adult and thus, reading for them would have to be real sugar coated. I don't believe sugar coating what the cards have to say is a good thing.

Tanga

Yeah, that's was my worry later, that she needed more help and didn't know where to go for it. Unplanned/unwanted pregnancy is terrifying and can shake you to your core. I hope what I told her kind of snapped her to reality to at least find out for herself if she was. To take some control of the situation.

I just wish I had encouraged her to come back to me after she found out.

As a tarot reader, you can't really take on the weight of the world, but I think we have to face that sometimes we get drawn into people's lives in what seems like a tiny way, yet we all know how impactful, for good or for ill, even the smallest interaction can be. And a tarot reading can be a very intimate interaction.

It's challenging - especially by mail - to express and explore these things.
I think you did fine. I would do exactly the same.

I don't read on health, legal or financial matters - I can read on "the possible pros and cons of a or b" relating to these - but otherwise I advise them... to ask a health, legal or financial expert.
Professionally - I won't read for minors. But I may read for them otherwise... depending on who they are and what they're asking. And that would only be face-to-face...

The most uncomfortable question I have been asked so far... was an acquaintance wanting to know if I could look to see, if it was worth them paying to have all their expensive dental work done... or if they shouldn't bother because they might die anyway. They had just been diagnosed with re-curring cancer.
:bugeyed:
I can't even remember the answer I gave exactly - but that was a no.

I'm still thinking about how I could make any sort of useful reading within such a
context...

gregory

I don't do finance, law or health. (Or "how does he feel about me...") But I will read for a child as long as the parent knows (if they are under 16) and as long as I feel they know what they are getting into.

Laurelle

13 Years too young?? I was 8 when I started reading cards with my granny. Before then I had little patience or she had shown me before. In my family with 12 you are allowed to read for strangers, so I don't think 13 is too young at all. Grown ups, while expecting too much of young people in many ways, also tend to underestimate them by far.

I agree. If this was 1850, the 13 year old would already be working. My daughter has been playing with cards for a long time. She's 11 now and I don't think she's too young. The information can be tailored to the person.

I was 14 years-old when I got my first tarot deck, so again, I don't think it's too young.

Seriously? I don't know if you can read to teens, but to me it felt wrong. Just wrong.

I politely said no and added "While tarot is not a bad tool, I don't think a young person would know what to do with the in depth information."

I don't think a 13 year old, no matter how mature they may be, has the emotional intelligence of an adult and thus, reading for them would have to be real sugar coated. I don't believe sugar coating what the cards have to say is a good thing.

You have to do what is right for you. There are definite things that you wouldn't want to say to a 13-year-old, but you can try and tone it down. If you feel uncomfortable then it won't go well for either of you. If you get the Lovers card with the 2 of Cups and the sitter is 13, it could create an interesting conversation....You may not want to say, "I see you having a hot love affair this summer!"

Meanings vary with kids. When my daughter draws Kings it always has to do with a teacher or adult male. It's never romantic or indicative of her friends. So context is everything!

The standard is probably 18, but I'm really not sure.

CharlotteK

I read for my nephews who are 11 and 13 at our annual Halloween party. It was lighthearted but I didn't 'sugar coat' and I was careful about how I explained the cards and what they meant and did my very best to relate them to things that were age-relevant to their life experience, e.g. relationships with their parents and schoolfriends, attitudes to lessons and homework, feelings about growing up etc. My 13 nephew who has been a handful was blown away by his reading. He told his Dad "it really works" and I learned afterwards that he changed his behaviour for the better. I felt good about that :)

JMI_Tarot

My 13 nephew who has been a handful was blown away by his reading. He told his Dad "it really works" and I learned afterwards that he changed his behaviour for the better. I felt good about that :)

Nice!

Ace

I saw this and didn't have time to reply before now. I DO believe it is OK to read as young as 12 (with parents permission/knowledge). At parties, I will occasionally do younger kids but then it is a "fake" reading. Before the age of 12, there really is no "there" there. So I can't read them. I will pull a card for younger and give them a cheerful "fortune" but it isn't a real reading. 12 year olds can be read and actually understand it. It is usually more general than an adult reading, but they enjoy it and so do I.

But for extended in depth readings? I want them to be 18 or older. Just because they need the maturity to understand what we are doing.

barb