View Single Post
Jedi

Zephyros 

Quote:
Originally Posted by csdude View Post
I couldn't agree more, and as a user of the forum for a long time I don't deny that this is a pretty sad loss. But the alternative is to just let it die unnecessarily, and I'd rather try to save it then just give up and act like it doesn't matter.

The people make the forum, it's as simple as that. So we can all either go our separate ways, or try to stick together. It's up to us, really.
Does a tombstone negate a person's life and the impact they had? I would hope not, and AT shutting down doesn't mean it doesn't matter. It will stay on, for the foreseeable future, as a testament to the community that was. Of course it matters, but prolonging its life may not necessarily be the right choice, however sad that may be. As you said, you've managed tens of forums, etc., but AT isn't just another forum. It may be like all the others in technical terms, and I have no doubt that you can do what you say, but it's a small business created by one person and is thus fueled by its creator.

But we're not talking about the CEO of Walmart; AT isn't some faceless corporation but a single person's dream. Although it may be sad that it's closing, I don't know if I could give up "my baby" to someone else. It's more than a business, it's her vision and passion, and I can see the logic of not wanting to give it up to someone else who would maybe corrupt and change that vision.

I've been here 13 years and I can understand her reasons, and I support them. Also, sorry if this comes off as trying to be superior, but your join date is a bit over two years ago. I have to wonder how much contact you've had with Solandia, how well you know the spirit and norms of place and why you would push for taking it on. I would also wonder why she would elect to do as you suggest with you specifically because of those reasons.
Top   #146