View Single Post
Citizen

purple_scorp 

Quote:
Originally Posted by csdude View Post
That's not entirely correct, unless there's an Australian law that's different from the US. Legally speaking, in the US when you sign up for a site then anything you post becomes the property of that site, and they can do whatever they want within the Privacy Policy and Terms & Conditions of the site. Believe me, I've handled this several times.
Hi csdude,

Well, I don't know the US law, but here's an extract from some text in the 13 Australian Privacy Principles (APP) from Schedule 1 of the Privacy Amendment (Enhancing Privacy Protection) Act 2012, which amends the Privacy Act 1988.

Part 3 Dealing with personal information
Australian Privacy Principle 6 use or disclosure of personal information

Use or disclosure

6.1 If an APP entity holds personal information about an individual that was collected for a particular purpose (the primary purpose), the entity must not use or disclose the information for another purpose (the secondary purpose) unless:

the individual has consented to the use or disclosure of the information; or
subclause 6.2 or 6.3 applies in relation to the use or disclosure of the information.

When we became members of this forum, we agreed to have our public posts available on this forum (being the primary purpose).

So, you would need to obtain permission from every member before you could post any of their posts for a secondary purpose (ie your forum).

with love
purple_scorp
Top   #149