Metallic Decks

Nemia

The Etruscan???!! Mine doesn't have any gold on it. :-(

My golden decks also keep very well. Only the gilded edges of the Touchstone start looking a bit irregular, in spite of very good care. But the decks with golden accents on the cards (Klimt, Botticelli, Tsar, Visconti...) all look fresh and nice.

I love Byzantine mosaics and illuminated manuscripts, and I definitely like my golden decks. I treat them with care but they feel more robust than I expected. They do have this flexible Lo Scarabeo cardstock.

EmpyreanKnight

I finally have these:

1. Golden Universal Tarot
2. Golden Tarot of Klimt
3. Golden Visconti.

And so now I'm declaring a goal for myself: collect all the metallic decks in the LS line this 2018. But really, who says that I don't have to get a head start this year. I'm putting this up as a target:

List of Metallic Decks

This is going to be magnificent.

silvereye

I finally have these:

1. Golden Universal Tarot
2. Golden Tarot of Klimt
3. Golden Visconti.

And so now I'm declaring a goal for myself: collect all the metallic decks in the LS line this 2018. But really, who says that I don't have to get a head start this year. I'm putting this up as a target:

List of Metallic Decks

This is going to be magnificent.

oh dear, you are such an enabler, that goal is infectious...

Nemia

I have the Visconti, Klimt, Botticelli, Nefertari, Estensi, Tsar... and I want to have the Mantegna very very much.

All the golden decks I have are beautiful, sturdy and readable. Some more than others, though. The Estensi has some difficult cards, the Klimt is a bit montone-melancholic in mood, and the Tsar's minors are difficult to see. But they're all amazingly beautiful, cohesive and intelligent decks. I'm not a fan of the multi lingual titles but all these decks are special to me.

EmpyreanKnight

I have the Visconti, Klimt, Botticelli, Nefertari, Estensi, Tsar... and I want to have the Mantegna very very much.

All the golden decks I have are beautiful, sturdy and readable. Some more than others, though. The Estensi has some difficult cards, the Klimt is a bit montone-melancholic in mood, and the Tsar's minors are difficult to see. But they're all amazingly beautiful, cohesive and intelligent decks. I'm not a fan of the multi lingual titles but all these decks are special to me.

Whoa, you've only got four more to go Nemia. You can do it!

I've heard polar reviews on the Renaissance btw, but I can't help but like it. In fact, it's my next target. :)

nisaba

I used my copy of the Nefertari the other day. Satisfyingly Egyptian-like, and lush with gold. What I particularly noticed this time that i used it, was that there were all sorts of ornate curves and curls in the texture of the beautiful reflective gold backgrounds on every card. Who could resist its charms?

EmpyreanKnight

I used my copy of the Nefertari the other day. Satisfyingly Egyptian-like, and lush with gold. What I particularly noticed this time that i used it, was that there were all sorts of ornate curves and curls in the texture of the beautiful reflective gold backgrounds on every card. Who could resist its charms?

I can't agree with you more, nisaba. I have already read a lot of reviews and saw many videos of it online, and the richly-textured, generous foil background makes it a formidable deck that is leagues above its more staid sisters. It's a lush, lavish, vain little thing that can't help but preen and dazzle and overwhelm those who behold it so that for it, standing out is a pretty effortless exercise. I can't help but think how it looks so divinely inspired, like something that ancient Egyptian royalty with their cult of the sun could have conceivably used if the Tarot existed back then. Reading it in candlelight must be quite a hypnotic experience.

I'm so tempted to buy it right now, but I already have 4 decks and 4 separate books coming my way, and with my dream deck being one of them and an IDS in the offing, I'm afraid I may not be able to give the Nefertari the attention it deserves. I still know that there's no way this magnificently-plumaged rara avis won't end up in my hands one day. ;)

Le Fanu

I have to confess, I find the Nefertari a bit Cairo-Souvenir-shop so tend not to use it. And tarot as Egyptian always makes me wince a little. I'd rather have a more improbable marriage - like Klimt or The Byzantine one ("of the Tsars"). Nobody ever theorised that tarot derived from Klimt so I can read that one with a clear head.

The Klimt really is my favourite though - I like the gold in geometric, modernist slabs.

Whatever your tastes, these LoS gold decks are quite something...But one should really have them ALL instead of picking and choosing...

FLizarraga

I do agree that one should have all the unfailingly gorgeous metallic LS decks. And they are fortunately on the cheap side --well, except for the Nefertari, which is the only one I don't have. (Is the Byzantine a LS deck? Can't remember. I don't have that one, either.)

Like I said, they are unfailingly gorgeous. Some are a little less inventive than others (I'm looking at you, Botticelli. I mean, really? How many Venuses and Madonnas of the Magnificat? Atanassov was asleep at the wheel there...).

And some, like the otherwise magnificent Renaissance, are a bit, should I say, WTF-ish. Though perhaps that's due to my trying to shoehorn it into a more traditional Tarot structure. Surprisingly enough, the Mantegna -- which is its own animal and not what we think of as Tarot at all -- reads very well for me.