Ludy Lescot - The Four Aces

Hemera

Thank you MAineGirl117 :)
Oh, I´m glad you like the Aces because I don´t and I don´t know what to think about them. The Ace pages in my notebook for this deck are almost empty apart from the usual and general Ace-stuff. I have not managed to cook up anything specifically unique for these Ludy Lescot Aces.
So I´m quite impressed that you have managed to find so much to say about this one Ace and I can´t wait to read about the rest of them :p

Hemera

Ace of Wands

Ace of Wands is the Ace I probably like and understand the least.
The wooden mask is odd. It took me a long time to understand that it´s wooden probably because fire (wands) burns wood? But it always takes my mind to earth/Pentacles first. It also doesn´t look right on this lady who is wearing something that looks like a ball gown and the curtain behind her is silk. The wooden mask looks very much out of place here. The silk makes it look almost ugly. Sometimes I´m reminded of some kind of a torture mask especially as the woman looks like she is sulking or depressed or disappointed.
The Wand cane has a strange head that reminds me of Walt Disney´s Ducks!
So I guess I need help with this card. I need to see beyond the surface..Any ideas? MaineGirl117?

MaineGirl117

Ace of Wands

I'll do my best Hemera, though I'm still working on the Wands suit :)

Eyes, lips, heart. Ideas, words, emotions. Passion always rises from three paths."

You've made a comment here about her wooden mask and I would agree with you that it symbolizes the Wands suit and that fire needs something to burn. What's interesting is that it's not new wood, as we would typically see in other Ace of Wands cards with little leaves on it. This is old wood, dried by air and 'seasoned' so that when it burns, it burns bright and hot. None of us want 'green' wood if we're heating our homes, because it just smolders and struggles to burn, even if we open the flume and allow air to push through the stove.

You've also mentioned the cane, which is being held by a black glove where traditionally it is held by a white glove. What's the significance of that do you think?

I did find this one reference on a Freemason website which I think I'll explore a little more:

According to Alchemists, unless the elements first die, the Great Work of self transformation cannot take place. Amongst the symbolic processes in Alchemy we find the state of putrification, the symbolic color of which is black.

Freemasonry & Alchemy Website

Could we also assume that the head of the cane is made out of gold? I think it is, and with the wands suit representing Alchemy, is this not the ultimate 'prize' we desire while working through the suit?? We see at the end of the suit the king with the lion, who can represent the Sun or Gold in living form. Perhaps the most valuable gold is not that which is tangible, but what is created when we can blend all elements of life (all other suits) to create gold 'within us' by manifesting it into intuition, integrity, courage. You see Daffy Duck in the wand head (I do too, but I think it's more artistic expression in regards to creating a walking stick) but look at the head of the wand from the other direction. I see a lion face, with his mane flowing back towards the right tip!! Here is a little more information on the Lion . This is a solar symbol, and when we look at the Salamander, it is considered a lunar symbol. So here we see the combining of light/dark symbolism in this card

And the Salamanders (a lunar symbol), typically seen in this suit too. There are two of them, with their tales intertwined around her neck. I'll admit I had to look around for an explanation on the symbolism of the salamander, and I'm still trying to pull it all together in useful terms, but here is something I've found:

Animal symbolism of the salamander continues when we learn it is cold blooded. This is analogous of adaptability and adjusting to our environment. The salamander asks us to perceive the changes going on around us and adapt to our best ability rather than fight against the changes.

The salamander comes to those who are in need of change in their lives. The salamander evolutionary feat to observe, and as such, it asks us to evolve in our own lives.

Link to page here

I found this an apt description not only because she seems to be investigating her surroundings, but because the next card (2/wands) has her reading, searching answers, looking for a path perhaps? Back to this card though, I think she's realizing that there is something lacking in her life, that something needs to change. Perhaps that's why she's unhappy. It can be a difficult process to start blending all the other elements (which is the 'job' of this suit) to actually create change in our lives.

So, we see here that she's not seduced by materialism, she's looking away from the gold tipped rod. Nor does she care much that her appearance seems to be a contradiction in terms. Silk with wood. She doesn't care that she stands out as an oddity? Perhaps she's more interested in following a true vision of self expression instead of conforming to the masses. In this respect, she's exercising her 'Judgement' in a sense that she wishes to be unique. I bring this up only because of the LWB interpretation of that card, and it's association with the same element: Fire

Do you recognise yourself among the crowd? Or have you forgotten what your beautiful face looks like? Being unique must not be more fearful than being anonymous."

With all this information, can I give you a definitve understanding of this card? Not really :) There's so much going on with the symbolism that I have much to still think about - but what I DO know is that there is something going on with this card than just a sad wallflower wearing a silly mask. At least this post is a good starting point!!

Hemera

What's interesting is that it's not new wood, as we would typically see in other Ace of Wands cards with little leaves on it. This is old wood, dried by air and 'seasoned' so that when it burns, it burns bright and hot.
Hmm..And you might not want to burn really old wood. Old wood would be perfect material to make a good violin or cello from. An instrument of creativity. Fine antique furniture would also be made of old wood.

You've also mentioned the cane, which is being held by a black glove where traditionally it is held by a white glove.
Ah, the traditional nigredo that Jung also talks about. He describes it as the dark phase, dark night of the soul during which the soul prepares for a new creative phase. Wands are creative, so the start may come when the black phase comes to an end and that is the Ace. Makes sense.

Could we also assume that the head of the cane is made out of gold? I think it is, and with the wands suit representing Alchemy, is this not the ultimate 'prize' we desire while working through the suit?? We see at the end of the suit the king with the lion, who can represent the Sun or Gold in living form. Perhaps the most valuable gold is not that which is tangible, but what is created when we can blend all elements of life (all other suits) to create gold 'within us' by manifesting it into intuition, integrity, courage.
This would be the Jungian/Alchemical "citrinitatis" or the golden phase?

"...classical alchemical knowledge about the nigredo-albedo-rubedo-citrinitatis, the four stages of colour...Yellow-red would be the fulfillment of the alchemical work" (M-L-von Franz: Alchemy-An Introduction to the Symbolism and the Psychology, Inner City Books 1980).
Yes, succesful making of gold is the end result of alchemical work. And so the lion and sun are also symbols of this.

So, we see here that she's not seduced by materialism, she's looking away from the gold tipped rod. Nor does she care much that her appearance seems to be a contradiction in terms. Silk with wood. She doesn't care that she stands out as an oddity? Perhaps she's more interested in following a true vision of self expression instead of conforming to the masses.!
Yes..this makes sense. This would be just what wands are about, individual, creative and even rebellious solutions. A Wands lady would be one who doesn´t care if she wears silk with wood whereas the Pentacles lady is wearing pearls and is much more traditional and conformist. Also the Swords lady has a traditional mask.

MaineGirl117

Nigredo

Found this internet sight on these three 'phases' of black-white-red link

Interesting reading. Seems very applicable in regards to our discussions on Jung's philosophy and this deck's symbolism.

Hemera

Most interesting! Thank you for the link. The part about 'Coniunctio' is interesting in view of the World card. I think we discussed that briefly in World but I'm not sure. It's about how Hermaphrodite is different from the LL World which has evolved further from that.

MaineGirl117

Ace of Cups

I have a feeling that to understand this cups suit, we may have to delve a little bit into the myth of the Holy Grail.

Does anybody else think that this beauty may be showing a bit of age here? Just curious, not that she isn't lovely :) Out of all the Aces, she seems to be the only one who is actually looking at the item being held by the hand or of the suit.

No gloved hand here, and her cup doesn't appear to be over-flowing with water despite the downpour. Her headress does have two dolphins entwined, but did you notice that one is silver and the other is gold??

Also, dolphins are christian symbols of resurrection, but they also share this symbol with greek mythology with the dolphin being the bearer of souls to the Islands of the Blessed.

Dolphins are also a lunar AND solar symbol (repeating theme here from the Ace/Wands card!)

This is a key understanding because the dolphin meaning is connected with themes of duality. It has to do with the dolphin being both fish and mammal. It is both of the water, and an air breather. Ergo, dolphin symbolism talks to us about "being in two worlds at once." Indeed, the dolphin is a great conveyor of the concept of yin and yang.

Dolphin Symbolism Link

The other interesting tidbit about the dolphins is the greek work delphi ... is she, perhaps, considered to be an Oracle?

So what can we say of this Ace? Is she looking for everylasting life? Is she the keeper of these rejuvinating waters? Is she an oracle or would be initiate? Is she concerned with bringing the souls of the departed home? I'm not sure which way to take this Ace...she just doesn't imbue me with the typical love and promise you'd get from this suit.

MaineGirl117

Ace of Pentacles

So lastly we have the Ace of Pentacles:

"The heart must not be sold, but rather given. The body must not be bought, but seduced."

She looks very regal in her golden mask with studded gemstones, though I don't get the sense that she's looking at the very large golden coin with the all seeing eye on it. Rather, she's looking beyond the coin to the person who is flipping it before her? She doesn't look too impressed either.

What I find interesting is the purple/black rose in her hair:

Black (or Withered) Roses: love is gone or over; disaster; depression; death; problem discussions; emergency meetings

Could we have a woman scorned here? Or simply one who has just lost her lover? As you move through the pentacles suit, it's almost like that's the story it's telling with her wearing a veil in the 6/pent. But also, the roses change color as they fall in front of the tomb in the 9/pent. Would that mean she's coming to love again?

Moreover, why is her hair so red, when the rest of the images show a darker haired woman. Some symbolism her for the color or does she portray a harlot better by having red hair (artistically speaking of course :) )?

Hemera

Ace of Cups

Does anybody else think that this beauty may be showing a bit of age here? Just curious, not that she isn't lovely
I always think she looks like a teenager who has got braces too big for her mouth and who is mirroring herself and trying to be very´ Femme Fatale´ but not being very succesful at it :D
, but did you notice that one is silver and the other is gold?

Dolphins are also a lunar AND solar symbol (repeating theme here from the Ace/Wands card!)
There´s the duality theme again! I never thought we could find that in so many cards! I didn´t notice that the other Dolphin is gold and the other one is silver. It does bring the Sun and Moon into the picture.
So what can we say of this Ace? Is she looking for everylasting life? Is she the keeper of these rejuvinating waters? Is she an oracle or would be initiate? Is she concerned with bringing the souls of the departed home? I'm not sure which way to take this Ace...she just doesn't imbue me with the typical love and promise you'd get from this suit.
No, it doesn´t have much soap opera kind of love. But (whenever I´m able to forget the teenager with oversized braces) she does have a lot of feeling and passion. So much so that it´s almost scary..

Hemera

Ace of Pentacles

I always find myself staring at her pearl choker. It is gorgeous and I´m sure it´s very valuable. "Pearls bring out purity, honesty & integrity, plus feeling of beauty, dignity and calm. They both symbolize and stimulate femininity, feminine wisdom & charity"
http://therapeuticreiki.com/blog/power-of-pearl/
Her pearls are pink: "Pink pearls work especially well for the heart chakra, besides the solar plexus chakra."

This whole card reminds me of an excellent book: The Sacred Prostitute by the Jungian psychologist Nancy Qualls-Corbett (Inner City Books 1988). I think this quote from the book could be about our Sacred Priestess, the Ace of Pentacles:
" Whatever she undertakes, she does so with confidence, without regression, submissiveness or feeling of inferiority to a patriarchal system (which would mean returning to her father´s house). She neither has to compete with men nor adopt masculine qualities, that is, identify with the animus. The woman who has come to knowthe presence of the masculine power within is her own authority and stands constant to her feminine nature. She may not be able to change the patriarchal system which surrounds her, but, more importantly, she doesn´t allow the system to change her."

That she is not interested in the coin that is being flipped in front of her symbolises the fact that she is not allowing the system to change her. She is not doing anything for money.