Robert M. Place - *unpublished*???

blackroseivy

I don't get this at all!! If artwork of *that* caliber can't find a publisher (Llewellyn, *hello*?!), what hope in *heck* do *I* stand???!!! Ok, so it's a *very* different deck from the "Seventh Mystery", but still!!!!!!!!!! :eek:

baba-prague

Well, it isn't all about the quality of the artwork. I totally agree that Robert Place's work is great, but a publisher has to decide on commercial terms first and foremost (it's sad, but it's also just the way it is - any publisher who is not business-like will not be in business long) and I think that it's possible that publishers feel that the market for this will be limited. I don't know why.

Sometimes bad decks sell well. Sometimes good decks don't. It's like everything - not always logical or fair.

But all the best with your own work. Don't be discouraged.

blackroseivy

Thanks for the kind words... Maybe the market is glutted right now with that sorta thing - after all, the "Gilded" only just came out. My sister says that Celtic is a big seller - I sure hope so! I can't afford to self-publish!

augursWell

Sorry, I'm confused by this thread. Isn't Robert M. Place the guy who did the Alchemical Tarot, Tarot of the Saints, and the recently released Buddha Tarot? All of these were/are published. Am I missing something?

He's one of my favorite artists, very spare but insightful line work.

augursWell

Yes, baba-prague, that thread does explain things more. Thanks for the link.

robert m place

The Tarot of the Sevenfold Mystery

Hi,

I haven’t been posting here for a while but I just noticed the discussion about my Tarot of the Sevenfold Mystery and I wanted to answer some of the questions that I see here.

First of all, I could find a publisher in a day if I did not care about how much of an advance I was getting. It takes me a long time to make each illustration and I need to get enough money to cover the time it takes while I am working - so that I can pay my bills and live like a normal person. On each of the four decks that I have created I have not received enough money from the advance and royalties to cover the time that I have spent creating each deck. They have all been a labor of love which was partially subsidized by me.

For the time being, my strategy has been to work on the deck at my own pace without the pressure of a contract and a deadline. When a good deal of the cards are illustrated it will be easier for me to get it published with a smaller advance. Meanwhile I have been focusing on writing books on the Tarot without a deck. I feel that in this way my ideas and insights will reach a larger audience. I am excited about my new book The Tarot: History, Symbolism, and Divination, which will be out in March. And, yes I illustrated the cover.

FearfulSymmetry

robert m place said:
For the time being, my strategy has been to work on the deck at my own pace without the pressure of a contract and a deadline.

HalleluYA!

Look forward to seeing your new book, I am sure it will be excellent.

Marie
Mary-el tarot

baba-prague

Great to hear about the new book, I'll look forward to it.

It's interesting to hear your experiences Robert - I hope you do publish this next deck even if the advance is not large.

In general I don't want to go on yet again about the time it takes to design a good deck (I think anything I have to say I've already said), but it's interesting that most deck designers in print will tell you that their meagre profits don't really cover the skilled time put in - and that (judging by some pms I've had) many "starting out" deck designers continue to hope that this isn't really true!