Premium German Rider Waite with Pam A crackle brown back and 1909 colouring

Le Fanu

That is the white box, standard deck, right?
it's an orange box.
ETA; correction; the sides and back are orange but the front of the box has The Magician with a white border. Is that what you meant?

FLizarraga

That is the white box, standard deck, right?

it's an orange box.
ETA; correction; the sides and back are orange but the front of the box has The Magician with a white border. Is that what you meant?

That could be the case. Someone else I know got both the standard and the pocket; she referred to the standard box as 'white' and to the pocket as 'orange.' I wonder if that's what she meant.

I'm actually getting her pocket, but it's not here yet, so I cannot say.

Le Fanu

Now that I've had dinner and a sit down, I am able to look properly at it. I really, really like this one. You know when it's a special, memorable edition because it really makes you see the images differently. Most versions I see don't make me feel that differently about the original images, but this one does. It actually reminds me a bit of the LoS PCS deck, the one that disappeared and they issued another one in similar box. The colouring is a bit reminiscent of that one.

When you get a Minor card - because these don't have titles - and look closely at it, front and back, it really is the nearest you'll get to RWS perfection. There's always one thing wrong with each edition - in this case (for me, wanting the original English titles) it's the German titles. Not that I'm being Anglocentric about it - I just mean in the sense of wanting it to be as near to the original version as possible. But other than this, it is a beautiful edition. So odd having these crackle-backs. I can't stop looking at them.

I wonder if this deck will suddenly disappear? Or whether it was only allowed to see the light of day if it didn't have English titles?

rwcarter

it's an orange box.
That is what I received today that's the mini deck. The cards are roughly 59mm x 90mm.

The Minors were all arranged Ace, Queen, King, Knight, Page, 2-10. Is that how the Germans normally arrange their decks?

Rodney

Linfang

That is what I received today that's the mini deck. The cards are roughly 59mm x 90mm.

The Minors were all arranged Ace, Queen, King, Knight, Page, 2-10. Is that how the Germans normally arrange their decks?

Rodney

Good question, I can't answer, even though I am German... If I remember correctly, when you purchase a deck of playing cards, the colours are ordered from two to king and the ace at the end.

I ordered the standard sized deck as well after reading the comments in this thread. Really a pity that they do not use the original font style for the German titles.

FLizarraga

My pocket Von Waite arrived today. For what I have read here, both boxes are identical --orange all around with the Magician on a white background on top.

There is not a lot I can add to what has been said already, except that the cards are tiny --barely longer and wider than my (trimmed) Centennial in a Tin -- and that the borders, like Tibor pointed out, are a tad too big for their own good.

The color gamut is interestingly not as pastel as I thought it would be. I find the yellows, greens and blues more vibrant than in the Original or the yellow box edition, yet the reds and oranges are a lot more subdued and far less present, contributing to the overall pastel effect.

Haven't compared it with the Pam A, though of course that comparison would be a little unreliable, given that monitors render colors differently. Lines are exquisitely drawn, expressions pop up despite the tininess of the images.

Size and border issues aside, I love it. And I love the backs, the cardstock, even the box. Now I want the standard! :)

CharlotteK

My pocket Von Waite arrived today. For what I have read here, both boxes are identical --orange all around with the Magician on a white background on top.

There is not a lot I can add to what has been said already, except that the cards are tiny --barely longer and wider than my (trimmed) Centennial in a Tin -- and that the borders, like Tibor pointed out, are a tad too big for their own good.

The color gamut is interestingly not as pastel as I thought it would be. I find the yellows, greens and blues more vibrant than in the Original or the yellow box edition, yet the reds and oranges are a lot more subdued and far less present, contributing to the overall pastel effect.

Haven't compared it with the Pam A, though of course that comparison would be a little unreliable, given that monitors render colors differently. Lines are exquisitely drawn, expressions pop up despite the tininess of the images.

Size and border issues aside, I love it. And I love the backs, the cardstock, even the box. Now I want the standard! :)
39c1922a29defc9e32d6e76fadc6aced.jpg

The boxes aren't quite identical, the pocket version is the box on the right, the standard is on the left.

FLizarraga

39c1922a29defc9e32d6e76fadc6aced.jpg

The boxes aren't quite identical, the pocket version is the box on the right, the standard is on the left.

Oh. FINALLY. Thanks, CharlotteK! :D

I was relying on descriptions and images that sort of looked the same. Now I see why the standard box has been described sometimes as the "white box:" the whole top section is white.

Do you see any differences between both decks, other than size?

CharlotteK

Oh. FINALLY. Thanks, CharlotteK! :D

I was relying on descriptions and images that sort of looked the same. Now I see why the standard box has been described sometimes as the "white box:" the whole top section is white.

Do you see any differences between both decks, other than size?
The border on the standard is less obtrusive and more in proportion. Colour-wise and in all other details they appear the same. At least I can't spot any differences.

I've got to say, I ordered the pocket accidentally and was prepared to sell or gift it when the standard arrived, but I can't part with it, I think it's lovely, and I've got used to the massive borders too.

FLizarraga

The border on the standard is less obtrusive and more in proportion. Colour-wise and in all other details they appear the same. At least I can't spot any differences.

I've got to say, I ordered the pocket accidentally and was prepared to sell or gift it when the standard arrived, but I can't part with it, I think it's lovely, and I've got used to the massive borders too.

I wouldn't want to part with it either -- it's lovely. I'd like to chop those borders off, but then the cards are going to be ever more minuscule and (for me) hard to manipulate. Oh, well. I'll probably learn to live with those borders, too. It's worth it.