Page of Swords/ Two of Pentacles

.traveller.

How do you see these two cards? My first impression was mental gymnastics and physical gymnastics, somewhat like the phrase "Jumping through hoops" where both your mind and stamina are tested. Another thought was of someone wavering between action and inaction, kind of like when you are debating whether to send that letter, or tell your boss off, or whatever. Any input is appreciated.

Apocalipstick

Hmm, I tend to see the 2 of Pentacles as (literally, if using RWS imagery) juggling two actual possibilities, things, events. Someone dividing time on two jobs would be an example.

With the Page of Swords, there's a less active quality. This is more about being ready to react to whatever comes your way, than going out there and involving yourself.

The Page is wary and ready to strike. The 2 of Pents has a bit more fun with whatever the situation is - there is little suspicion involved, whereas the Page keeps things and people at a distance.

Another way to approach this is to relate the Page to thoughts, and the 2 to actions. As you say, there are some simiarities present, but the two outlooks represented are quite distinct from each other.

If a there a problem to solve, the 2 of Pentacles would get to it, while the Page would examine it first in an attempt to find the weakest spot for attack.

Thirteen

.traveller. said:
How do you see these two cards? My first impression was mental gymnastics and physical gymnastics, somewhat like the phrase "Jumping through hoops" where both your mind and stamina are tested.
I can see how you see physical gymnastics in the 2/pents--though I agree with Apoc that it's really a matter of juggling things, usually related to economics--like rent, job, car payments...and I don't think there's any wavering involved in the 2/Pents--if you waver, you drop one of the balls and lose your job or your apartment.

What I don't see is the connection to gymnastics and the Page. The Page/Swords is, well, a page, and that means he's the weakest of that suit. Hardly a mental gymnast. In addition, pages are all about communication, so you have double communication in the page and in swords--this is why Page/Swords is often seen as a gossip, braggard, or just someone who speaks before thinking.

He says a lot--and he may wildly swing that sword (his words) well enough to worry folk...but he's not as clever as he thinks or seems. He's the sort to assert things are true even when he hasn't got the facts to back them up, and his only real asset is that he sounds confident. If you call him on something, his argument falls apart.

You want a real mental gymnast--someone with all the facts, with a brilliant mind and instincts on exactly how to express the message clearly and cuttingly?...call in the Queen of Swords. She can think and speak rings around anyone.

willowfox

Two of pents tries real hard to balance his affairs, so he is doing mental gymnastics to keep his life in order.

Page of swords brings challenges into one's life, so that you must face them, and in doing so it gives you a chance to broaden one's mind by having to learn and discover new ways of how to deal with those challenges. Mental gymnastics.

Thirteen

willowfox said:
Page of swords brings challenges into one's life, so that you must face them, and in doing so it gives you a chance to broaden one's mind by having to learn and discover new ways of how to deal with those challenges. Mental gymnastics.
But by that logic ANY card that brings challenges into one's life requires some kind of "gymnastics" (mental, physical, emotional). Why the Page of Sword's challenges as compared to any other card that offers a challenge? Like, say, 5/Wands, or 7/Swords or 8/Cups or 3/Pents...the list goes on. Almost every card in the deck offers challenges.

If we're talking about a card that requires real mental gymnastics, that is, you have to really sit and work out a problem with all that's in your mind, facts, research, problem-solving abilities....well, I don't see that card as being the Page of Swords. His challenges aren't that mentally taxing. There are other cards--higher court cards come to that--which offer harder mental challenges.

I think the 2/Swords might indicate some gymnastics as you have to find a way to balance opposing forces and reach a compromise however temporary...also The 6/Swords can indicate successful mental gymnastics. NOT because it poses any problem or challenge, but because it indicates an answer to mental problems and challenges in sight, just as the end of a gymnast set is in sight--all that's needed is the perfect landing for that "10."

.traveller.

Thank you very much! I was having difficulty reading those two cards together, but with everyone's help, I have a more complete view of both cards. Now I can see how they work together by better understanding them individually. :D Much obliged :D

I was using the Fey deck and I think that's why I was getting caught up on the "mental Gymnastics" for the Page.