Do you cleanse your decks?

page of wands

I am curious what the different opinions and methods to cleanse decks on this forum. I'm about to get a used deck in the mail, so I've been thinking about this.

Thank you in advance to all who reply. :)

Nemia

I don't cleanse decks. I like 2nd hand decks and have quite a lot, and I don't think the energies of others are a bad thing I have to get rid of somehow. When I get a new deck, I order it, look at one card after the other, choose or make a tarot bag for it and then start playing with it. That makes it mine.

I once had a deck that came from a smoker's home and it took some time to air it out, so that was a physical cleanse and it was needed.

But otherwise, I don't feel any need to strip away anything from a used or new deck. I do feel that I need to give back fairly when trading or swapping - but that's true for all things in life.

I also have no problem when others touch my decks.

AnemoneRosie

I don't, no. They're pieces of paper with ink on them. What is there to clean up?
That said, sometimes I'll do the knock three times and blow thing in front of clients if they seem disappointed that I don't go in for ritual. Rituals serve a wonderful purpose for those who have the stamina - I don't have the stamina.

violetdaisy

I don't do anything extra special or fancy - I put all of the cards in order, Major arcana on top & the remaining by suit and then by number. Serves a few purposes. 1. All the cards are present and in the condition I expected. 2. Now they're all upright. 3. I've looked at each image personally before reading with the cards. 4. If they did feel "off" before, they don't anymore.

No lunar/solar exposure, herbs, stones/crystals, incense etc. I do take a bit of time and select the color or type of bag I want them in though and if they didn't come in a box, once they're in the bag I place them in a 3x5 plastic index holder case :)

Esk

I don't clean my decks neither. I don't see the point. However sometimes when i get obsessive about something and do readings after readings about it all day, I get a strange vibes from the deck. I don't know if the deck take my obsessive energies or if it's just a poor mental state , but in those case i can't use the deck in question anymore, even for a different topic. When it happens i just put the deck away, read with another one, and wait for few days before using it again, but no cleansing of any sort.

gregory

I have never cleansed a deck in my life - and I'm 72. The only thing I EVER do is stick them in a box of lavender candles, if the deck smells bad - usually this is the chemical stench from some printers. Once it was cigarette smoke.

lilylilac

I keep a selanite stone with my Steampunk deck. It used to be my only deck, but I recently bought two new ones, and I thought the extra care would leave it with a more cared for feeling, so I'm not as guilty about not picking it up as often.

Citrin

No. I rather imagine myself charging decks. People cleanse decks under the full moon's light and to me that makes no sense - the full moon emanates strong energy which I would see as charging objects, energizing them, not taking away any sort of energy...

I also charge my brand new decks with Reiki, and sometimes if they somehow feel hmm "tired" so to speak I do this too.

But cleansing no... I don't see it as negative that my decks get energy from me or my clients. :) It's nice, gives them more "life".

Barleywine

No, never found it necessary.

page of wands

I don't do anything extra special or fancy - I put all of the cards in order, Major arcana on top & the remaining by suit and then by number. Serves a few purposes. 1. All the cards are present and in the condition I expected. 2. Now they're all upright. 3. I've looked at each image personally before reading with the cards. 4. If they did feel "off" before, they don't anymore.

No lunar/solar exposure, herbs, stones/crystals, incense etc. I do take a bit of time and select the color or type of bag I want them in though and if they didn't come in a box, once they're in the bag I place them in a 3x5 plastic index holder case :)

So you go major arcana, then what comes next? pents, cups, swords, or wands?