Four of cups. Is it really luxury?

WhyWuh

I see that four of cups is called luxury but at the same time it's described as luxury being taken for granted. So it makes me confused is this card about joy that you have all this good stuff and that you treasure it or it's more like having it and not even seeing or appreciating what you have?

Zephyros

My guess would be that the card speaks more of self-indulgence, pleasure for its own sake rather for anything constructive, like fulfilling your Will. The Fours are generally heavy and rather immobile, being rather raw matter, and the attribution of Moon in Cancer takes this further by taking the dreamy qualities of the Moon and focusing them through the extremely sensitive qualities of Cancer.

So kind of emotional masturbation. Emotion for its own sake, rather than directed at anything.

AJ

could mean better steward ship of personal finances also. In this world of instant gratification our personal finances can really take a hit.

Abrac

Where is it described as "luxury taken for granted?" Is it a Thoth clone?

WhyWuh

My guess would be that the card speaks more of self-indulgence, pleasure for its own sake rather for anything constructive, like fulfilling your Will. The Fours are generally heavy and rather immobile, being rather raw matter, and the attribution of Moon in Cancer takes this further by taking the dreamy qualities of the Moon and focusing them through the extremely sensitive qualities of Cancer.

So kind of emotional masturbation. Emotion for its own sake, rather than directed at anything.

Thank you. Sometimes I struggle with 'general' feelings like star being love for the world in general, three of swords being pain for the world (like pain for the world or as germans say weltschmerz). But at the same time I get the idea that Thoth deck is more about 'general' feelings in general. It shows deeper things and not much of these domestic (or lower) feelings like 'I yelled at my boyfriend. What does he feel?'. When a person feels three of swords for example he is in pain for the world, where the world is going and not because someone doesn't love him back for example. Is it true?

Aeon418

When a person feels three of swords for example he is in pain for the world, where the world is going and not because someone doesn't love him back for example. Is it true?
Context is everything! If the question behind a reading is commonplace and ordinary, then the interpretation is likely to be on the same level. The Great Universal Sorrow may be the greater abstract meaning of the 3 of Swords, but a mundane question may require this general principle to be down-scaled by several orders of magnitude.

"'I yelled at my boyfriend. What does he feel?", is a typically ordinary question. Interpretation of the 3 of Swords in this specific context is more than likely going to be perfectly ordinary.

Unless the boyfriend is suddenly plunged into an existential crisis after being shouted at. :laugh: