Which is the Thoth Tarot that people feel is spooky?

GoldSun

Hi

Does anyone know which Crowley Thoth Tarot is the one where people feel it has something "Occulty" or "Other Worldly" about it?

I have looked through the forum but cannot find which ISBN number it is.

Thank You

imno007

Well, there is only one Thoth tarot. The only variations of it, as far as I know, have to do with image quality. Do you mean Thoth-based decks?

GoldSun

Hi

Yes it is to do with one of the Thoth Editions being a better quality, but also I have read on here some find a certain Thoth different like it draws them in different to other Thoth Crowley Edition.

imno007

You can look here to see most of the various editions:

http://www.tarotgarden.com/library/decks/thothtable.php

There's also a long thread here on AT:

http://www.tarotforum.net/showthread.php?t=35594

Most people seem to prefer the color fidelity of either the early Llewellyn editions or the A.G. Müller editions, but other than some difference in hue between various editions, the only differences concern the backs, the printing on the border fronts, and of course size. And there's a couple different versions of the Fool included with some of the decks. The images themselves, though, are exactly the same in every edition, to the best of my knowledge. So...which one of these would "draw you in" would, I guess, just be the one that looks the best to you- because I can't imagine what difference(s) would account for one edition being more "Occulty" or "Other Worldly" than the others. Seems it would be a very subjective thing. But maybe some others will pop in to give you an opinion on the matter.

Zephyros

Hi

Does anyone know which Crowley Thoth Tarot is the one where people feel it has something "Occulty" or "Other Worldly" about it?

Thank You

I think you mean the "green" Thoth, although I don't know it's specifications. But, some editions have a greenish tint to them that permeates both the images as well as the borders. I don't know if people think it's "spooky," but that's my guess. You should do a search for "green Thoth" using the Google search, you'll find lots of threads.

Emily

Hi

Thank You

I also think you might be referring to a green Thoth. These were mainly in white boxes, a few made it into green boxes, but they are vintage decks - they are called greenies because of the green hue that covers the card, even the fonts are dark green. It gives the deck a whole new feel, you either like it or you don't and the green hue does vary on different decks - some are really, really green others, like mine, just have a nice green wash over them. If you search out green or greenie Thoths on here you'll find some scans.

You won't be able to buy a greenie new but they do come up on Ebay still. :)

Zephyros

Fashions are a funny thing. When I first joined AT these green decks were almost universally hated, and people were practically giving them away. Really, in the trading threads people used to just pop a greenie into the package just because they wanted to get rid of them.

But time has made them sought-after collector's items.

imno007

Fashions are a funny thing. When I first joined AT these green decks were almost universally hated, and people were practically giving them away. Really, in the trading threads people used to just pop a greenie into the package just because they wanted to get rid of them.

But time has made them sought-after collector's items.

This is true. I've seen many people online complaining about the lack of true and vibrant colors with the green deck(s), but there seems to be another group of people who just love them. If it is a green deck he's looking for, then "White Box C" fits the bill. In fact, here it is on eBay with the title "Aleister Crowley's "Greenie" THOTH Tarot Deck *White Box C* OCCULT Thelema O.T.O", and you can see pictures of some of the cards in the listing:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Aleister-Cr...OCCULT-Thelema-O-T-O-/232146506123?rmvSB=true

Not sure if any other versions have this green cast.