TotOP - XIX - The Sun

Silverlotus

Astrological Influence - Sun
Element - Fire
Month - August
Contributor - Patricia Crowther
Flowers - none

When I looked at this card today, I sort of wished that I hadn't said I would do it. How awful is that? I don't like Sun cards in general. The happy little kid riding the horse doesn't do a thing for me. And the Sun card in Tarot of the Old Path, well, it looks like a Judgement card. What the heck?!

At the top of the card there is a sun with 12 rays, coloured red, blue, green and yellow. Inside each ray is one of the signs of the Zodiac, sitting on the colour that represents it's element - Taurus on green for Earth for example. On the sun itself is a happy looking face and a red triangle representing fire. Below the sun is a small monolith and two triliths. Standing directly before the monolith are a naked man and woman, both with red hair and upraised arms. At the bottom of the card, covering the legs of the figures, is a Phoenix with spread wings.

The book says the stones are the Hanging Stones and the Hele Stone. I find this a rather predictable nod to Stonehenge. I'm not sure why, but that generally rubs me the wrong way. Anyway, since it is the Hele Stone, and the Sun is rising directly above it, this card represents the Summer Solstice. So, the figures are actually raising their arms to joyfully welcome the sun. Still, with the Phoenix, I can't help but feel this image was better suited to a Judgement card.

Silverlotus

Coming up with my meaning for this card is difficult, again, because it looks more like Judgement to me. Anyway, if we see this as the celebration of the Summer Solstice, here's what I've come up with: joy, celebration, happiness, marriage, sexuality.

I really hope someone else has some better insights here.

Elle

All of the above and clarity - truth- being fully aware.
Elle

northsea

I wonder if the author intended the phoenix to symbolize rebirth. I hope not since I agree that would be more appropriate in the Judgment card.

andyrew

The sun card to me represents the start of good times even easy times, as the sun seems to rise on the summer solstice it is the start of warmer long days as the song goes ( summer time summer time and the living is easy). Gives me a very good impression. Everyone is entitled to have there day in the sun.