'Signed' Conver deck on eBay

jmd

Personally, I suspect it is genuine, but date it a little later - possibly mid-1850s.

jmd

well... looks like that 'mysterious j_mdavid' is being outbid!

[moderating note: I've merged both threads on the same subject]

tmgrl2

Oh dear, jmd...I think we are bidding against each other!

I wondered too if it were a bit later from people's comments here.

The company has an excellent selling reputation.

I posted the picture of Six de Batons in the other thread.

tmgrl2

jmd

...tell you what, let's make a deal: you bid, and give them my address for postage :D

Ross G Caldwell

tmgrl2 said:
I e-mailed sellers re deck. They have an excellent track record with e-bay. They said everything they sell is fully refundable.

They maintain deck is what they say and sent me scan of Six de Batons:

Definitely an authentic 6 de bastons - matches the Héron Conver.

I'm very jealous of you both, as one of you will doubtlessly move into the circles of those with *authentic* old decks :)

My comparisons show it to be from the same plates as the BNF (Héron) and Lo Scarabeo exemplars i.e. the 1760 plates. Somewhere I read they were used until 1860. Those plates have a lot of babies out there.

Good luck!

tmgrl2

jmd said:
...tell you what, let's make a deal: you bid, and give them my address for postage :D

Let's talk...would you post a picture of yourself...a real one?? in exchange??

tmgrl2 })

jmd

...now that belongs in the Chat Forum }) !!!

(but I'd have to agreeee - what am I saying!!!)

tmgrl2

OK, let's get back on topic. What does anyone think this deck is really worth, even if it is a somewhat later version than advertised?

terri

jmd

Hard to tell...

As Ross mentions, there are probably quite a number still out there somewhere in the deep recesses of boxes waiting to be unfurled.

When I mentioned it to people close to me, I suggested it would probably fetch around the US$500 mark or more - which I cannot afford at this stage.

It probably does depend on whose bidding at this time.

tmgrl2

$500 didn't seem unlikely to me, either. It will be interesting to see what it goes for or if they pull it because they don't get their price.

terri