horoscope writing

Flidais

Hello! I write a horoscope column for a newsletter that comes out 4 times a year. I am allowed 50-75 words per sign. The audience consists of writers and illustrators of children's books. This is obviously "Sun sign astrology" -- with all its limitations -- and the purpose is largely entertainment.

The first three issues covered 2 or 3 months each. However, the next issue covers 4 months (Sept., Oct., Nov., Dec.)

What I have done in past issues is note the position of each sign's ruling planet(s) during the timeframe being covered and transits by those planets with respect to the natal Sun's position. I also look at the placement of Mercury for all writers and Venus for all illustrators. After collecting this information, I note what I consider to be "strong" and "weak" time periods for each sign, along with issues I feel might come to the fore, then write my 50-75 words per sign from that, along with a few glib remarks.

I feel that I need to come up with a different approach in order to address 4 months "in one blow," considering the word limit.

If any practicing/professional astrologers in the forum have any suggestions or ideas, I'd love to hear them. I feel that even if I try to hit only the highlights, it would be almost impossible to distill 4 months of planetary movements and aspects into 50-75 words per sign.

I hope I have explained all of this clearly enough. If not, let me know. Thank you in advance for any thoughts you may have.

Flidais

Thanks, paradoxx. I use an ephemeris. I don't have any problem getting the information about what the planets are doing. The problem is more deciding what to include in the relatively small write-up. For example, during the 4-month period in question, the Sun moves from VIR to LIB to SCO to SAG to CAP; Mercury moves from VIR to LIB to SCO to LIB to SCO to SAG to CAP; Venus moves from LEO to VIR to LIB to SCO to SAG; Mars moves from GEM to CAN; Jupiter moves from SAG to CAP; and Saturn moves from LEO to VIR. That's a lot of movement, which makes it difficult to discuss in so few words. (I don't even try to discuss the effects of the transiting Moon except when discussing Cancer.)

I just wondered if there might be a format or approach that I'm just not seeing -- a way to decide what to include or what to emphasize so that I can stay within my word limit.

dadsnook2000

Tough challenge

Even if you just used the outer planets as a reference and talked about the Sun (in a given sign -- a Sun Sign) and the aspect changes, it would be difficult to either keep the writing short or appropriate to the audience. This might be the time to go back to the editor and just lay out how absurd this writing task is. Its time to change the rules -- otherwise you'll spend a lot of time offering little of substance. Dave

Flidais

dadsnook2000 said:
This might be the time to go back to the editor and just lay out how absurd this writing task is. Its time to change the rules -- otherwise you'll spend a lot of time offering little of substance. Dave
Yes, I think you're probably right. :)