First Deck

jook

For a while, I'd been wanting to get into Tarot. One of my friends told me to choose a deck that called to me, and I loved the art on this one, so I decided on the Fey Tarot as my first deck. It arrived about a week ago, and I read the book, and I've done a reading or two for myself. Not much because I haven't been able to think of anything I wanted. ;)
Anyway, I thought I'd introduce myself to the deck's forum and see if you guys have any tips or things to consider about the deck, or tarot in general, as I'm just getting started. I look forward to hearing what input people have, and I'll work on my skills.

greenbeans

Hi Jook!
Glad to meet you-I am also new to the Fey (and to tarot generally!) I am just trying to find my feet with them- I've been reading the book and having fun looking at all these old posts on the cards. I wish there were some newer posts on interpreting the Fey, maybe us newbies could try and liven things up a bit, make some wild suggestions and pick the oldies' brains, lol!
Anyway, hope you have fun here too,

beans
x

dadsnook2000

Welcome to the list, to the Fey . . .

Welcome. I don't know what to say. The Fey for a first deck?! I waited about 30 years for the Fey. Sure, I had a lot of thrills in my discovery and progress thru the tarot but finding the Fey was like starting over again in terms of the fascination and insights gained. As beginners, I wonder if you'll get cheated out of discovering the workings of the tarot, and later the Fey -- OR, whether you'll get a double-bang out of starting with the Fey.

All being said, I think you have a unique experience in front of you. Ask your questions, post your discoveries, share your excitement and you'll find that lots of us will just jump in. Have fun. Dave

tarobones

none better

I agree about the enthusiasm for the Fey. I feel there is no deck like it. Absolutely unique, absolutely fascinating. Stick with the Fey.........I have and use other decks, but far and away the Fey Tarot is my favorite. BB, Michael

martyn_uk

:)

love the deck, its superb!
I always use it for myself when I want to know something Im frightened to face alone.

Ive had loads of new decks this last 12 months but also seem to go back to using the fey.

by the way...I didnt get the book that goes with the deck.juat wondered if it was any good?

greenbeans

martyn_uk said:
I didnt get the book that goes with the deck.juat wondered if it was any good?

I like it, but then it is really good for a newbie- giving a good history of tarot and explaning a few things. You also get to see the creative process- lots of sketches of potential other versions of the cards, and little explanations of why they chose the versions they did, which really made the deck seem alive for me. Some of the language is just a little weird (I think it has been translated from Italian) but it is nonetheless very clear and insightful.

Sulis

The book is really excellent - really well written and very worth getting.

I bought the book and deck seperately too. I think I got the book from Holistic shop.

Oh and Jook, I think The Fey would be an excellent deck for a beginner... It's very loosley based on the Rider-Waite-Smith deck but not completely so I'd recommend getting the book (edited to add -sorry I've just realised you've got the book :))
It's a wonderful deck for reading intuitively; it's very expressive.. Some of the cards are just amazing.

This deck takes you to another world.. I don't actually use my Fey much any more so I've given it to my 7 year old daughter... she loves playing with it and makes up lovely stories filled with amazing characters.

It's a deck that likes you to use your imagination but that's all good in my opinion.

mysticmonkey

Welcome to the forums. The Fey was my first deck and it's the only deck I use for readings. I've only recently started buying a few other decks. A couple for the art and couple for study purposes but I recommend that you stick with the Fey for a good while. Chopping and changing decks can only add to the confusion which is why I plan to stick with the Fey for a good while yet unless intuition tells me otherwise.
Of course it all depends on how often and intensly you study the cards. I've had my deck for a year but I've not studied that intensly so for me I still feel very much like a beginner although perhaps a bit further down the road from you, but within sight. :)

I love the deck because you can pretty much get the meaning behind the card without having to look it up in the book (ah but I know that feeling of just needing to double check. ;) ) but don't expect to pick a card and just "know" what it means. Sometimes that happens, sometimes you have to dig a bit for your answer.
Also sometimes what meaning you come up with will not match the book. That is fine. If it makes sense within the reading then I believe it's a valid meaning.
We all see the world slightly differently so you may develop your own meanings for the cards depending on your own life experiences.

What I like is seeing the cards interact with each other. Say you lay out a three card spread look at it like one big painting.
For instance the other day I noticed the 5 of Swords blowing it's magic fairy dust onto the card next to it. She looked like she was sending her wishes on the wind and they fitted well with the next card.
Another draw recently was not so much joined together as one picture but like the same scene but at different times. The 3 of Wands with the plant in it's beginning stages, growing slowly into bud the next card being the 7 of pentacles seemed like the same plant many years later only now it has grown strong roots and flowered well.
It is really delightful when you see these connections in the cards pop out at you.

You never stop learning so don't feel you have to reach a certain goal by a certain time. Just enjoy looking at the pictures and what the cards have to show you. Everything else will come in time.

Edited to add: also why not join in the Fey daily draw thread. You can find it here: Fey daily draw

tarobones

how's it going?

Just wondering how things are going for the new users of the Fey Tarot? Are you having fun? hope so. Blessings............Michael

QueenofWands2

catbaloo said:
What I like is seeing the cards interact with each other. Say you lay out a three card spread look at it like one big painting.
For instance the other day I noticed the 5 of Swords blowing it's magic fairy dust onto the card next to it. She looked like she was sending her wishes on the wind and they fitted well with the next card.
Another draw recently was not so much joined together as one picture but like the same scene but at different times. The 3 of Wands with the plant in it's beginning stages, growing slowly into bud the next card being the 7 of pentacles seemed like the same plant many years later only now it has grown strong roots and flowered well.
It is really delightful when you see these connections in the cards pop out at you.
Yes!!!! This is wonderful!! And with the Fey being as it is, this happens easily. I too love the Fey and have only put it down briefly since I got it to dabble with other decks. It truly opened up the world of intuitive reading for me, where as before I'd only used book meanings for my readings. I've been reading tarot for a good long time, and I feel that I've learned more about tarot using the Fey intuitively than I have with the scores of books I've read on tarot and card meanings. And yes, please do see the posts (and add your own) in the Daily Draws section. I love posting my Fey draws there, and I love to see what others think of the cards as well. I've been away from Aeclectic for a bit due to no internet access, and I see that this thread has been neglected as of late. I'd love to see more people join in on that topic!! To all those who are new to the Fey, welcome and enjoy the ride!

QW2