Masters of Magic

pippi

I don't have the deck, but I think I had read a negative review about it a couple months ago, and it's gonna bother me all day now that I can't remember where. But I personally think the cards look very attractive and interesting. If I remember where I heard about it, I'll let you know! :)

ETA: I think the place I had originally seen the deck had showed a card featuring Crowley.

BodhiSeed

Thanks Pippi. I have seen some scans of the cards, which seemed okay, but I can't find out much information about how to read with them. The one review I read at Amazon seemed neither negative or positive. I suppose I'll find a cheap set on ebay and find out for myself!

Bodhran

6 Haunted Days

These cards and images always looked very interesting to me, I've almost bought it a few times at Tarot Garden....

BodhiSeed

I've found an inexpensive set on ebay, so I guess I'll know more about them in a week or so! I'll try to let others know what I think of them later.

Bodhran

pippi

Oh good! Looking forward to it!! :)

BodhiSeed

Well the Masters of Magic came in today, and I have to say I'm glad I got them. The cards are about 2 1/2 inches by 4 inches and come in their own box. The cardstock is thin but good nevertheless and has a linen feel to it. A 47 page booklet comes with the deck that is twice as big as the deck itself. The booklet explains that the people in the deck are broken up into four groups (listed below), and each group is headed by a legendary female figure - "the creating power that inspires and animates the entire group." Three spreads are given (one for specific questions, one for general questions and one for one's spiritual journey. Under each person is listed the meanings for each position in each of the three spreads. There is also a keyword, as well as positive and negative meanings, listed for each person. In addition, an abbreviated biography is given for each person. Here are the masters:

I. Sibyl - destiny; yellow cards; "want" group; earth; hermetics and healers.
a) Pythagoras - tolerance
b) Christian Rosenkreutz - creativity
c) Trithemius - desire
d) Louis Claude De Saint-Martin - feeling
e) Apollonius of Tiana - flexibility
f) Paracelsus - opening
g) Friedrich Anton Mesmer - balance
h) Cagliostro - curiosity

II. Morgan - secrecy; green; "silence" group; water; clairvoyants and mediums
a) John Dee - respect
b) Jakob Bohme - elevation
c) Count Saint-Germain - generosity
d) Emanuele Swedenborg - attention
e) Allan Kardec - receptiveness
f) Daniel Dunglas Home - purity
g) William Stainton Moses - calm
h) Edgar Cayce - sacrifice

III. Urania - inspiration; blue; "knowledge" group; air; astrologists and prophets
a) Ptolemy - synthesis
b) Galileo Galilei - collaboration
c) Johannes Keplero - talent
d) William Lilly - independency
e) Malachia - sincerity
f) Gioacchino Da Fiore - joy
g) Nostradamus - trust
h) Black Spider - idealism

IV. Isis - initiation; red; "dare" group; fire; magicians and alchemists
a) Merlin - courage
b) Albertus Magnus - resistance
c) Cornelius Agrippa - initiative
d) Eliphas Levi - enthusiasm
e) Ramon Llull - constancy
f) Arnaldo Da Villanova - analysis
g) Nicolas Flamel - application
h) Prince of Sansevero - rigour

pippi

Wow, thank you for typing all that out, bodhran! The deck sounds even more interesting to me now! I could have sworn I saw a card featuring Crowley, but I didn't see you list him...that is so very bizarre. :confused: There's a lot of people listed that I've never heard of before. A great starting point for further learning! :) Please let us know how they read for you, when you have time!

BodhiSeed

Just did a quick one card pull about Sat. A little background: We live next to a city ballpark in a SMALL neighborhood. Opening Day for the ballpark used to be a small event years ago, but tomorrow they are expecting 1000 people to show up. There is NO parking lot for all these people. It will begin at 8:00am and last until 10:30 - 11:00pm. I'm totally stressed already, and have begun expecting the worst already. So... I pulled a card about how to keep calm and collected tomorrow. I got Paracelsus - Opening (How appropriate for "opening day" at the ballpark :)). The two keywords that jumped out at me were communication and open mind. Sage advice for me!

Bodhran

Rosanne

Hi Bodhran- I have this oracle- and I enjoy it. I think the book that comes with it excellent and gave me a new direction which I could apply to Tarot as well. The different approach is refreshing and I learned some facts about people in History along the way. It seems to answer very basic direction questions particularly well- like "how can I approach this issue?" I hope you get much help from it as I have. I like the colour attitudes as well. ~Rosanne