Fairytale Tarot - The Lovers

moderndayruth

For me, this is one of the most beautiful cards in the deck.
It's very romantic and the way lovers are holding hands reminds me of connection of female and male aspects in the individual Self.
Four people are pictured which i guess is quite unusual.
Many details cought my eye, like the astrological clock on the back wall, lion's "funny face" and the spoon the woman in the rear is holding in her hand.
I haven't read the attached fairytale yet, probably it's one of the really complex ones.
I drew this card on Shabbat - the day of rest in Jewish tradition, which reminded me of what Waite writes in PKT on Lovers "In a very high sense, the card is a mystery of the Covenant and Sabbath".

berrieh

You should definitely read the Fairytale, moderndayruth... It's one of the better fairytales in the book, in my opinion; it's very lovely and encompasses all three sides of The Lovers card: the romance aspect, through the two couples, the choice aspect, through the way Tatterhood transforms, and the 'sibling' aspect of this card (through the two sisters).

It's rather lovely, because it speaks to love and choices on several levels. Firstly, the fact that Tatterhood, a dirty and disgusting sibling, and her beautiful sister completely love and support each other and that Tatterhood protects and takes care of the beautiful sister; this is unusual in fairytales. The story with the King and his son, the Prince, and how the Prince marries Tatterhood basically so that his father can be married to the beautiful sister is interesting as well, and the most interesting part is at the end, when Tatterhood shows it was her choice to be ugly all along and she could be -- and does become -- fine and beautiful any time she chose.

I find it interesting that Tatterhood is still 'ugly' in The Lovers picture. All in all, it's not the most romantic of the Lovers card, and it's interesting that her prince really doesn't care for her until she is beautiful -- but her sister, lovely and beautiful and talented and adored always treats her kindly and the two sisters have such a good bond.

baba-prague

Yes, I absolutely love this story too. I think that it can also be read as a tale of how "beauty is in the eye of the beholder." One way of reading it is that Tatterhood becomes beautiful to the prince. I'm not saying that that's the correct reading, just that it's one possible interpretation to bear in mind.

Tatterhood herself is a talented, energetic and capable person of great intelligence and resourcefulness. Isn't that a kind of "beauty" of spirit?

berrieh

Yes, that's probably the most logical way of reading it, if you don't read fairytales literally, like I do.

I just like the idea that she's magic and has chosen to be unattractive for so long. Actually, I think the same idea runs through the story associated with The Hermit (with his bet to remain unkempt) and with The World (hiding in her many-fur), and those three cards are very interesting to me, as a way to look at beauty and ugliness.

I've always thought beauty could be just as much a burden as ugliness, but in its own way. That's why my favorite thing in stories is when an ugly witch turns out to actually be a beautiful princess (though, really, if they can transform, how do you ever know which is real, and does it matter?)

moderndayruth

I read Tatterhood meanwhile, the story is indeed one of a kind! Very unusual "plot" and characters for the fairytale. I must say i absolutely loved it, Tatterhood's devotion to her sister, the lack of envy (imo wonderful example of unconditional love), her bravery... and, yes, her choice to be "ugly".
As if she wanted to attract the Prince with her qualities, her inner beauty, not the looks...

Sar

The beauty is of the eye of the beholder, I am a bit tired of listen to that line..
The story reminds me of the fact that women always are always judged by their looks first and then comes their acomplishments as the second achievement.

and the question that I ask myself after reading this story, is there anyone who have any real choice here, from except the older king who wants the goodlooking sister?

Onyx

reviving the study group

My reflections on the the Fairytale as it relates to the card and its meaning.

** I like how the hero of the story is one with the greatest love and the strongest devotion. Her love for her family (her mother and sister) and her husband it a transforming love.

- She works to bring peace to her mother's Christmas
- She saves her sister's head from the witches and also schemes to find her a good husband.
- She also works her own selfless magic to make herself beautiful for the Prince. She never showed doubt in herself or hints at being self-conscious

** Love is a choice and Tatterhood was one who knew how to choose how to love. She continually used her courage, wits, and wooden spoon to get equality, justice, peace and restoration for others.

** We all choose what and who we will love. there is a strange sense that this card picks up on the different between attraction which may or may not be a choice and the will to express love.

** Finally there is a sense of love expressed in spite of never having that selfless love returned. (This may be simply due to a editing of the story.) Tatterhood loves relentlessly adn wildly for her family.

Onyx.