House Systems

dadsnook2000

Hello C.N. Isn't it interesting that the two house systems you prefer are both calculated differently. The Alcabitus method projects hour circles onto a diurnal circle that cuts through the Ascendant while the Porphyry method more simply trisects quadrants of the ecliptic. According to my limited resources there is actually a big difference between the house sizes of these two house systems. There would seem to be more of a resultant similarity between the Porphyry and Placidus. This seems to hold true for most latitudes below 60 degrees. May I ask, do you time progressions or transits against house cusps? If so, which seems to work best. I haven't experienced much success with most house systems and have given up -- just working with the angles of the chart and "eye balling" the inbetween areas. Dave.

C.N.

No, I don't do detailed prediction work with house cups. About Porphyry & Alcabitus, the variations in house cups is about max 4 degrees in my natal chart, while it reaches 12 degrees between Porphyry & Placidus. There could be something wrong with my astro calculation program, however.

dadsnook2000

ASC & MC angles affect house cusps & size.

The resultant house cusps and apparent arc-size of the houses are greatly affected by which signs and degrees are on the angles. As an example, if you had Aquarius rising your MC might be in Sag, only some 60 plus degrees away where if a summer sign like Cancer was rising your MC would be some 110 degrees or more away from the Asc. These arcs, because of the way they are tri-sected can vary greatly in some cases given the two differing calculation methods for your favorite houses. AS A FUN EXERCISE run several birth charts for each system where you change the "birth time" by, say, three hours and then see what kind of distortion occurs between the house systems. Dave

littleneptune

dadsnook2000--Your insights about Sun/Moon=Asc are again spot on. I HIGHLY value the "integrated personality" as you put it, both in myself and in others. This has even spilled over into my tarot interpretations, where I cannot separate so-called 'masculine' and 'feminine' traits so easily. I always seem to find the potential in every person for the expression of BOTH, in order to obtain a 'complete' person!

Next, you said: "The Sun-Moon-ASC-MC parameters should always be kept in mind as a significant backdrop for the mid-point structures to work within." I would be fascinated to see your method for chart deliniation in action, ie. the steps you take in analyzing the angles, planets, so as to understand how the mid-points come into the picture (I'm assuming you don't place great emphasis on signs). If you ever feel like sharing your method, you can even use my birth date as"guinea pig" if required. P.S. I love to photograph carousels. I never understood why until you mentioned the astrology wheel...perhaps there is a subconscious connection!

To CN--I had never heard of the Alcabitus house system until you mentioned it in your post. I will definitely try this house method if it is available as an online chart deliniation option. It's interesting that you still consider Placidus but not Koch. I was under the impression that both systems dissolved at high latitudes...

C.N.

Littleneptune, both dissolves above the polar circle, but Koch looks ridiculous (two houses occupies 50% of the chart) at my birth latitude (63:50N), while Placidus still looks acceptable.