beautiful tarot cloths

Inkscape

BlueDragonfly said:
Next time you're in one of those vintage shops, look at old, large dinner napkins. Square, hemmed....voila! I've even embroidered a border on one. Love 'em!

:laugh: I love resourceful people. What a great idea for a great deal! I went to a local outlet store yesterday and found tons of dinner napkins for less than a dollar. All sorts of materials and styles. Needless to say, I have my first reading cloth now =) Thanks for the idea.

gregory

Morwenna said:
Never. I don't wear leather pants. :)

But come to think of it, my jacket hasn't bled either. So what's with all those shoes??
How often does anyone sit in a puddle in leather pants ??? :D

No but seriously - the shoes thing probably ties into the kind of thinking I ran into when I once bought "winter boots, warm and cosy; a great defence against the elements" - all that kind of fluff.

When I wore them in the snow - freezing water came in everywhere and my feet were soaked. I went back to the store to complain.

"Well, what did you expect - they are a fashion item, madam ?"

I can only suppose you aren't supposed to get your shoes wet.... or even damp. (And I also bet the leather used for pants etc has to be more thoroughly treated, as it needs to be soft and pliable.... so maybe goes through more of a process, kind of ? And also - I guess if your jacket bled on your silk blouse, they could expect a claim for damage - while getting them to pay out for stained FEET......:D)

Dusk Till Dawn

Morwenna said:
Never. I don't wear leather pants. :)

But come to think of it, my jacket hasn't bled either. So what's with all those shoes??
The resolution for Shoes staining, is spray a little Hairspray into them, the die will never come off again.

gregory

Seeker*13* said:
The resolution for Shoes staining, is spray a little Hairspray into them, the die will never come off again.
REALLY ????

Wow. (great stuff, hairspray - it also dissolves ballpoint stains - spray and then wash and voila. But NOT on silk, I believe...)

How did you discover that ? This reminds me of the fact that you can get scorch marks out of sheets by rubbing them with the cut side of an onion. I want to know who discovered this - and HOW !!!!!!

Dusk Till Dawn

I read that in the Paper years ago, and since I always have Hairspray around, tried it on some clogs that always stained my socks blue, and it worked.
Worked on many others too. (Peanut butter removes sticky residue on almost anything, especially Tape on boxes..)

gregory

Seeker*13* said:
(Peanut butter removes sticky residue on almost anything, especially Tape on boxes..)
It even removes chewing gum !

ArtemisOrange

I'm knitting a lace tarot cloth for Kimberlee right now and am willing to take further commissions if anyone is interested. :)

The motif is a chalice and it creates a border all the way around the 30x30 cloth. However, I am designing other tarot motifs for other cloths.

PM me if you're interested in learning more!

MysticalMoose

This thread has been an absolute mine of information! :bugeyed: Hairspray!! whoever would have thought it would have so many uses. I'm particularly intrigued by the "removing ballpoint stains" <thinks of Courtney's school shirts!>
Thank You!!!! :D

Anyway On Topic - ahem.

I'm a user of napkins to read on too. I have recently found some lovely, silk & embroidered ones at a vintage clothes stall on an indoor market, along with a dressing table mat which works really well for a 5card spread as its quite long & thin :) she has all manner of beautiful things, pretty boxes too
MM :love:

ETA: The onion thing has boggled my mind! How did they realise that??? - kindof makes me think of the first person that discovered you can get milk from a cow... I mean - WHAT did they think they were doing? :bugeyed:

LavenderLibra

What are the dimensions of the large cloth napkins? (Me=not knowing the difference between small & large if I saw them!).

I have seen various fabric items at T.J. Max that I thought would be great cut up and changed into reading cloths or bags....(still waiting on the Magic Wish Fairy to bring me a sewing machine, though...:D ).

nisaba

gregory said:
How did you discover that ? This reminds me of the fact that you can get scorch marks out of sheets by rubbing them with the cut side of an onion. I want to know who discovered this - and HOW !!!!!!
It's an ancient mystical spell. According to archaeologists, the Egyptians had a spell which was a cure for a hangover, too: I don't remember much and I've lent out the book, but in amongst a variety of miscellaneous stuff and calls on Horus, two hairs from th2 hind leg of a hyaena had to be soaked in the breast milk of the mother of a boy-child as a part of the brew that was the eventual remedy.

How long has our society been saying that you cure a hangover with "a hair of the dog"?

But back to gorgeous Tarot cloths. I favour papyrus-based linen, myself - those Egyptians knew a thing or two, the wrappings of some of their mummies still survive.