Celtic Cross doesn't anyone use it?

velvetina

I use it! It's one of my three 'default' spreads, although I'm pretty sure my version is 'wrong' as decades ago, I mixed up a couple of positions and the new version is now stuck in my consciousness.
I also lay the cards in a circle; there is no side column. Same position meanings, just laid out differently.

kalliope

I have to admit I haven't used it much in years. I never really connected with it, despite it being the standard recommended spread when I was first learning. I found some of the positional meanings to be unclear for me: root/"beneath you," or "environment," or "crowns you." It's also quite long, so I mostly ignored it and gravitated towards 3-7 card spreads instead.

Recently, though, I came across Biddy Tarot's description of how to read it, and something about her version finally clicked with me. I like the above/below positions as wants & goals vs. what's subconsciously driving you. The bottom of the column as "advice" is great, as is "external influences." Her descriptions on how to compare pairs of cards was especially enlightening for me. It's nothing revolutionary, but it just finally makes sense, and actually seems practical. I'm not sure why I had such a block about the darned thing, but I'm looking forward to using it more now.

I also agree with the others about it just being kind of "out of style" at the moment. In addition, the whole world seems to have a short attention span these days, so it's not surprising that people are choosing shorter and more direct spreads.

ravenest

Hand up. I use it a lot.

Midnite

I use it too. I have slightly altered it a bit though but it's still the CC to me ;)

Mystic Zyl

Glad to see people still use it Celtic Cross, I thought I was the only one. I'll admit I use three card spreads for a quick answer. But no one since being on here has mentioned CC spread. It seems odd that most people speak of 2 card readings; I thought it was the new way.

Rev_Vesta

I love the CC for overview readings but have adapted the spread to connect with certain questions with different clients.. I find the CC can be quite adaptable to any circumstance but it does take practice because it can be quite confusing when first starting out......for some people.......

There are so many spreads out there, it is about playing and mucking around with different spreads, questions for placements of cards to get one that feels right for you....

Different books will offer different questions for each position... they also vary in which position is card #3, 4, 5 and 6......which is why some people may never use The CC at all unless to have a go at it once lol.......

I find I get the client to write down 10 questions in regards to the one topic....... that can be real interesting in laying out the CC....

Ziev

I also love the CC spread. I have had several reading with it for me and for others. Its a classic that never goes out of style. (at least for me :))

nisaba

I am puzzled since coming back to this site, no one seems to be using the Celtic Cross, which I feel delivers good information in its format style. Are the modern authors of tarot decks leading new readers to use other styles? Just curious?

I learnt on this spread, as it used to be the only one described in the LWBs that came with decks back in the 1970s and 1980s. After a while I found it inadequate. It provided positions that were irrelevant to a lot of questions and issues, and it didn't provide positions to many that were.

It's a find spread for what it does. It's also very limiting.

Darkmage

The CC is my go-to spread. I need to learn some others, but for reading for others, the CC wins every time.

It's great for getting a full overview of a situation. Not only does it tell you how the situation is likely to play out, it also gives a lot of attitude and feeling cards that can colour or influence said situation. These cards won't pop up in a simple three card spread.

If someone has a specific question that's not very complex, then I use three cards. They usually give a pretty good glimpse of the situation over the next couple of weeks, though it's a brief overview and usually nothing more.

But yeah--the Celtic Cross is capable of very nuanced readings. As for reading time, just going through the cards? 10 minutes max. After questions and clarification maybe 15-20, no more unless I'm reading for friends--but half of that isn't reading the cards, it's gossip and catchup, so that doesn't count. :/

ravenest

I learnt on this spread, as it used to be the only one described in the LWBs that came with decks back in the 1970s and 1980s. After a while I found it inadequate. It provided positions that were irrelevant to a lot of questions and issues, and it didn't provide positions to many that were.

It's a find spread for what it does. It's also very limiting.

Yes, I have found this in some cases. When that is so, sometimes, I bunch them (the CC layout) all in one pile and use that as the Malkuth starting point of a Tree of Life reading working upwards.