Tarot and Numerology

frejasphere

Its not that you SHOULD correct ... but I believe you should be aware of what exactly the chart you got IS calculating. ... BY the way... some tropical astrologers virtually ignore the outer ring on a chart and give astrological 'sign' little influence ... its come a long way away from what it used to be , the science of the stars movements and relationship and their effects on individuals and society.

My chart was done for me by an astrologer/house friend ~25 years ago (ouch!)... anyway, she used big books with lots of numbers and worked out how everything fitted in, based on time of birth and location, in what (to me) seemed like a complex and involved manner. This chart (stored in a box, which I am ever so tempted to go searching for...), from memory, included inner and outer rings and places me right on Gemini / Cancer cusp (0 degrees)... If I go just by 'birthday' I am a few days into 'Cancer' - though as both you and Fire Cat commented, those around me (and myself) are ever so aware of the strong and obvious influence Gemini has on my personality... :rolleyes:

I cannot say (without finding the chart) exactly what method was used, I am guessing it is some form of Tropical astrology...? though I do know that there was no computer involved :D

Not surprised ... some astrologers get angry with me for ever bringing it up. It is rapidly changing though.

It all has to do with the ease of calculation; making an equal 30 degree 12 division circle starting from the equinoctal point (which is in itself arbitrary, the G,D. astrology is set at Regulus ... a star in Leo ... some use Spica in Virgo ) ... they base things on this grid regardless of what stars are in the grid.

It gets obviously silly when. eg. one looks up the astrological actual (sidereal) position of ... say Spica (the bright star in the sprig of grain Virgo is holding in her left hand) .... give me a sec ....

Longitude (1900) 22LIB27 ( 22 degrees Libra 27 minutes) ; (2000) 23LIB50.

You can see the movement and also the designation in Libra ... because tropical astrologers call that part of the sky - within the actual asterism of Virgo - Libra.

and just to stimulate your thought more ... they changed it all around anyway to make the constellations fit a nice even 12 x 30 degree segments ... they chopped off Scorpio's claws and gave them to Libra's scales ... and other 'modern atrocities ' .

It goes on and on .... I have been studying it for some years, including ancient astrology (pre Ptolemaic astrology as well and also native and indigenous astrologies ... including the local ones , some which still survive in living traditions 10s of 1000s of years old (here).

People may say a constellation is an 'artificial' construct (on that level so is much of everything we study ... including astrology (the earth is NOT the centre like it shows on your natal astrology chart - tropical or sidereal - :) ) BUT the comparisons I have made with cultures that have had no contact with each other (eg. Australian Aboriginal and Greek) may lead one to suppose otherwise ... at least they seem 'natural' as an image in the 'collective imagination' of cultures with no contact and very different environments and lifestyles .

As I said above, a good astro site should give you an option within the calculator to select sidereal.

I can answer more queries about this, but if not relating to tarot and numerology, best to PM me.

I am fascinated by these latest posts and actually don't believe that they are off topic, as my curiosity relates to several methods arriving at the same (or similar) advice, door.. or meandering along the same path - or... as you point out in your posts about sidereal astrology ... when they arrive at slightly different conclusions ... :)

Jumping back slightly to where the issue was raised of numerology faltering when different versions of a name exists (depending on language) - I know I am no expert :), though have come to the understanding that a certain amount of your 'personality' may be reflected in your 'name'...

Now, if your name is spelled one way in one language and a different way in another language, this could potentially result in a variation in how numerology describes your personality... I know it is a leap, yet having grown up bi-lingual I have often been told that I have a different personality depending on which language I am speaking... suggesting that a variation and the resulting calculation, may on some level provide a valid point? However, I am just as inclined to believe that any variations on my part are Gemini running amok ;)

Someone sent me some mental health affirmations, and I'm getting better.

Thank you for those laughs :)

ETA: Celebration mode: :) This is my 100th post! Noted side-effects associated with my 'AT NEW MEMBER - Foot in Mouth' affliction may start to diminish as of now ;)

ravenest

Another 0 deg Cancer ! Hmmmm ... just as long as you guys aren't born in the year of the Goat , we should be okay.

Actually, doing your own chart isnt too hard (nowadays) you just have to know how to work the calculator (I like astodienst the best), some basics about house , planet, sign, aspects and then follow the steps of chart interpretation. That will give a LOT of insight. Then after that is figured one can work on the complexities and more unusual aspects .

You just have to know the when and where of your birthday

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yue5zPHRZFc

frejasphere

No goat here ... ;)

Thanks for the other info too :)

ravenest

I am fascinated by these latest posts and actually don't believe that they are off topic, as my curiosity relates to several methods arriving at the same (or similar) advice, door.. or meandering along the same path - or... as you point out in your posts about sidereal astrology ... when they arrive at slightly different conclusions ... :)

Okay ... well, I havent been called to go back to the topic, so i guess this is part of it, and they way you put the above brings something else to mind. What REALLY got me going about sidereal astrology (and my Sun shift from Cancer to Gemini) was a comment my mother inadvertently made some years back when she was having a little frustrated stush about the 'way I turned out' .... when you were young you were so (.... ) but then you changed and and turned into this ( ..... ). "Yes mum, its called individuation." - Sister laughs but, of course, mum doesn't get any sort of stuff like that.

Then thinking about it I realised a LOT of expectations people had of me (relating to my 'Sun Nature' ) seemed to relate to Cancerian tendencies ... but I was being drawn toward the nature and interests of Gemini ... the more I looked into it the more I discovered.

Then I cane to the conclusion that my tropical astrology seemed to be related to people's expectations of me, what THEY thought I should become, especially family, people I was in 'averse relationship' with, 'the system' BUT close and real friends, fellow travellers on the path , people with a 'spiritual affinity', people who understood and accepted the 'essential me', I seemed to be able to relate quiet well with my sidereal nature.

I decided to experiment by operating in the 'base world' ... what society and others expected from me according to my tropical astrology, ... and the predictions for it and utilising my 'sidereal set' of skills and views for the other stuff, my real development and the 'plan the cosmos had outlined for me.' - Interesting results!

Its all rather fascinating when one comprehends the full set of shifts ... its a lot more than; ' I was a Cancer but now I am a Gemini'.

I also came to the conclusion that tropical astrology ( being set at the EP , hence a seasonal marker) is a great tool for agriculture or even the home veggie garden - I did experiments with that too.

daphne

I decided to experiment by operating in the 'base world' ... what society and others expected from me according to my tropical astrology, ... and the predictions for it and utilising my 'sidereal set' of skills and views for the other stuff, my real development and the 'plan the cosmos had outlined for me.' - Interesting results!

Its all rather fascinating when one comprehends the full set of shifts ... its a lot more than; ' I was a Cancer but now I am a Gemini'.

This is the most fascinating thing I read till now regarding astrology! Wow!

frejasphere

Then thinking about it I realised a LOT of expectations people had of me (relating to my 'Sun Nature' ) seemed to relate to Cancerian tendencies ... but I was being drawn toward the nature and interests of Gemini ... the more I looked into it the more I discovered.

Then I cane to the conclusion that my tropical astrology seemed to be related to people's expectations of me, what THEY thought I should become, especially family, people I was in 'averse relationship' with, 'the system' BUT close and real friends, fellow travellers on the path , people with a 'spiritual affinity', people who understood and accepted the 'essential me', I seemed to be able to relate quiet well with my sidereal nature.

... its a lot more than; ' I was a Cancer but now I am a Gemini'.

Every journey is different; where becoming an individual might require us to take a different path to those we grew up with. Sometimes it is a phase with a built-in rubber-band effect, other times it is more of a 'fork in the road' ...

I tend to believe that as we identify who we really are and want to be, we gravitate towards those who challenge, mirror and support those aspects of ourselves :)

Cartomancer

What did 'non-Kabbalistic' numerology originate from (no cheating now ... like citing the Greek 'Kabbalah' or something) ?

I may be wholly and totally wrong but if modern 'numerology' did not originate in 'sacred language' ...( one that used letters also as numbers - so letters and words {and concepts} can relate to numbers) or the Tetractys where did it come from?

What is "modern numerology"? Look at "Cheiro's Book Of Numbers" and other books like it that had major influences on modern numerology literature. Each number's meaning is described using the meaning of planets and even the zodiac. For instance, six is connected with Venus and Seven is connected with the planet Neptune. There might be a closer connection between modern numerology and the meanings of the Tarot's numbered pip cards if modern numerology had not mixed in astrology. - Cartomancer