I wonder anyone else has noticed this----

Grizabella

I debated with myself where this should go. It might overlap into more than one sub-forum and if I've put it in the wrong one, my apologies to our busy mods for creating more work. :)

I've intended to post this before and I always get busy doing something else and forget about it till I notice it once again. Today I'm on a dinner break from my other "stuff" and I thought I'd mention it before I forget again.

I've noticed that when I'm just watching something on tv or in a movie, and I do my usual idly shuffling and laying out random cards (I have a habit of always fiddling with my cards) the cards will actually spell out whatever has gone on in whatever I'm watching.

I'm reading the series of books the HBO series "Game of Thrones" is based on and reading the books in the series, too. I've found that whatever episode I'm watching will show up in the cards. I haven't written these cards down on that show, except I have drawn cards that match the facts revealed in the plot..

I'm a true crime buff. Today I was watching the series called "Killing Fields" where a semi-retired detective in Louisiana named "Rodie" Sanchez is re-working a 20 year old cold case. As I watched this episode, the cards followed the facts right down the line. I like to just keep drawing cards till the cards stop talking, if that makes sense to anyone, and this time it was 10 cards before they were through "talking". What I wonder is if anyone else does this and has noticed this working? I think it's really fascinating and it's happened to me over and over again. I just started really paying attention to it in the past couple of years.

Now, I could post it in a Game sub-forum thread where people could try this themselves. Or maybe in Your Readings. I don't know which would be most feasible and appropriate. It's more of an exercise than anything else, I think, but I'm starting with the thread here to get feedback before deciding what else to do. I enjoy it. I think it's a great way to keep in practice recognizing patterns in card and such.

nisaba

What I wonder is if anyone else does this and has noticed this working? I think it's really fascinating and it's happened to me over and over again. I just started really paying attention to it in the past couple of years.

Hell, yeah! In fact, I often recommend it as a learning-technique to people I mentor (I haven't run formal classes in ages). That way, unlike reading for clients you may never see again, you get feedback and/or can retune your understanding of the cards in an hour or two. :) It's great for your Tarotic development.

violetdaisy

OOhhh now I have to try that....

Redfaery

One of the ways I broke in my Shadowscapes was asking it about Shakespeare plays. I remember asking about the plot of Hamlet and drawing the 10 of swords as the "outcome".

Grizabella

It's quite amazing, really. I figured you'd have done it, nisaba. :) As you say, it's really excellent as an exercise for learning the cards. Especially learning how they relate to our everyday lives.

The first time I noticed this happening, I thought maybe it was just coincidence but it's happened many, many times over the past couple years that I've been noticing and I just love it. It isn't coincidence, it's something that's definitely connected to which cards show up.

JylliM

Absolutely. I remember one time I was watching a James Bond movie on TV and started drawing cards using the Rosetta app (apps are great for this as it's so quick). They matched up perfectly with the plot as it unfolded. I think it went for about 8 cards before I stopped. I've done it other times too, but this is the one I remember best.

nisaba

And novels. :)

Tanga

How cool - I'm off to try that...

celticnoodle

oh yes, I like to do the same myself. Like Nisaba mentioned, its a great exercise to do to learn to read the cards. The great thing is especially if you do not know what the outcome is going to be--lay out the cards, read them and then 30 minutes to an hour later you have finished watching the show and KNOW if you read the cards properly.

like you, Griz, I always have a deck of cards (tarot, oracle or playing cards) in my hands, and always did--even before I began to read cards. I love to play with cards while I'm sitting down and watching tv--so it was a natural approach for me when I began to read the cards to take it to this level. AND! It is most definitely a great way to learn to read the cards.

Falcor

Oh wow, I have never tried that. Will do it, sounds very intriguing.