Prefering oracles with more or less...

greatdane

When chosing oracle decks, does it matter to you about the number of cards? Do you tend to prefer those with more or less than, say, tarot? Do you prefer your images simple or complex or does it matter?

thirdlibra

I don't have a preference for number of cards. I do like the cards to be very detailed though. I love finding new things in cards.

Padma

Myself, I prefer maybe 20 less cards than tarot...I want the oracle to be more about wisdom and less about prediction, except for quick and simple answers when I need one...so it can't be overly obscure...and I generally want it to be more gentle, more delicately spiritual :) I like detail, but not *too* much; I think I really love it when oracles have beautiful artwork that I can contemplate as I do a painting...they are more, for me, like a scrying bowl, a place of quiet meditation, a pond; and less like a sharp mirror, or a falling rush through a tunnel, as tarot is for me.

With Tarot, I feel I am assimilating images very quickly, and in fact I count on that initial visual shock to stir my intuition. With oracle decks, I feel more like I am having tea with an old, wise friend in the Zen garden...

I like the Colette Baron-Reid decks, as well as the John Holland Psychic Tarot Oracle one, and the Urban Trosch Lenormand and the Osho, because they fulfill the above beautifully for me! :heart:

Are you looking to get some oracle decks, Greatdane? I ask, because you posed a very interesting question!

greatdane

thanks thirdlibra and Lotus Padma!

I appreciated your feedback. And Lotus Padma, I hadn't really thought a lot about expanding on my oracle collection which is...two lol. But now that you have provided me with some great detail on what you like and some oracles you like as well, I may just think about it more! I tend to be a less is more when I am looking at decks, tarot or oracle, as far as images. I love great artwork with detail, but a lot of detail, or if I feel it is becoming too "busy" to me, than it feels more of a distraction. I find it interesting just how subjective both tarot and oracles are. Often many of us seem to agree a deck has beautiful images, but it doesn't make it a reader for us. Some of the decks I have thought the most stunning, just didn't resonate with me, for whatever reason. I loved your explanation of your feelings toward tarot and oracles, Lotus Padma! :)

PsychicLord

That is an interesting question, for me I like the ability to choose the number of cards in a deck. That way I can use 30 cards or 48, or 78, or 100 cards; depending on the situation.

I like my images to be a mixture of simple and complex, and I like 'hidden' symbology that may not be found until the point is needed.

Finally I require a 'living' deck, that is flexible, evolving, able to reflect modern life, and can reach deep into the issue at hand.

Padma

I appreciated your feedback. And Lotus Padma, I hadn't really thought a lot about expanding on my oracle collection which is...two lol. But now that you have provided me with some great detail on what you like and some oracles you like as well, I may just think about it more! I tend to be a less is more when I am looking at decks, tarot or oracle, as far as images. I love great artwork with detail, but a lot of detail, or if I feel it is becoming too "busy" to me, than it feels more of a distraction. I find it interesting just how subjective both tarot and oracles are. Often many of us seem to agree a deck has beautiful images, but it doesn't make it a reader for us. Some of the decks I have thought the most stunning, just didn't resonate with me, for whatever reason. I loved your explanation of your feelings toward tarot and oracles, Lotus Padma! :)

aw, thanks! :) If you have a less is more approach, then the Colette Baron-Reid's Avalon deck should do nicely. Though I do like her other decks, too.

In regard to the Psychic Tarot Oracle, I often use it with my Tarot cards as an underline. Amazing how often the same type cards come up (though the John Holland has no tens or court cards. And has slightly different takes on things.)

Good luck on your search!