Making my own oracle deck

page of wands

I've been inspired to make my own deck. I saw one on etsy that I really liked but it was $30, so I couldn't buy it. Then I realized I could do that! Just come up with words, and draw the pictures on the card. Or I could print out pictures from the internet to glue on 3 x 5 cards. I know it's sort of cheap, but it might just work.

Have you ever made them for yourself? Did they work out ok? How did you make them?

This has really gotten my creative juices flowing!

Mythtaken

Not exactly an oracle deck, but I printed out some words very small, and glued them on to some decorative/clear glass pebbles. I'd close my eyes and choose one as a meditative focus. I keep them in a pretty bowl, so they can swirl around without falling out.

Already had the paper and the glue. IIRC, the decorative glass pebbles only cost a few dollars at Walmart.

(I used the list of blessings from Sharon Shinn's Troubled Waters novel. Here's a link, since it seems to be sort of hard to find, at least to me.)

There's a printable version, but I just typed out the words and printed them out very small so they'd fit. I glued them so you could see the text when looking through the rock. Wasn't hard, but I did have to pick out the rocks that seemed clearest so the words would show. Used a slightly larger font for smaller words, etc.

I keep thinking I'll add to my list of words, but haven't gotten around to it.

page of wands

Not exactly an oracle deck, but I printed out some words very small, and glued them on to some decorative/clear glass pebbles. I'd close my eyes and choose one as a meditative focus. I keep them in a pretty bowl, so they can swirl around without falling out.

Already had the paper and the glue. IIRC, the decorative glass pebbles only cost a few dollars at Walmart.

(I used the list of blessings from Sharon Shinn's Troubled Waters novel. Here's a link, since it seems to be sort of hard to find, at least to me.)

There's a printable version, but I just typed out the words and printed them out very small so they'd fit. I glued them so you could see the text when looking through the rock. Wasn't hard, but I did have to pick out the rocks that seemed clearest so the words would show. Used a slightly larger font for smaller words, etc.

I keep thinking I'll add to my list of words, but haven't gotten around to it.

that's a great idea! and i like those blessings too. maybe ill use them for more oracle cards. I'm just doing one word on a card and then a simple drawing to go with it

euripides

making something personal is great. It's a good idea to look at reusing/upcycling materials, as you can easily run up ridiculous costs with craft supplies and glue. A lot of people enjoy the crafting side as a hobby but your aim is to save money too.

What do you have at home in the way of art supplies and stationery already?

You might also try a Junk Oracle - https://tarotreading.wordpress.com/2012/05/19/j-is-for-junk-oracle/

page of wands

making something personal is great. It's a good idea to look at reusing/upcycling materials, as you can easily run up ridiculous costs with craft supplies and glue. A lot of people enjoy the crafting side as a hobby but your aim is to save money too.

What do you have at home in the way of art supplies and stationery already?

You might also try a Junk Oracle - https://tarotreading.wordpress.com/2012/05/19/j-is-for-junk-oracle/

I already had colored pencils, cards, and pencils, so i didn't have to buy anything. it was really great. i have to look up the junk oracle.

danieljuk

I love the idea, a few people have made their own oracles on here where there is just one edition, theirs! it's fun when they use it on other people in the oracle reading threads :thumbsup:

I would say there is two questions to think about when you are making it, even if just one edition for yourself.

1/ what is the overall theme of the oracle? could be like Celtic or Pagan or Harry Potter? (don't do a theme which is copyrighted like Potter if you want to make them available to other people or share pics of it publicly :) ) Positive affirmations or a message a day would also be the overall theme.

2/ what is the structure of the oracle? There isn't the same formal structure as tarot but you have to work out the cards to give a range of answers and this fits in with the overall theme. I think it could be tricky to work out the number of cards you need and the different meanings to make a complete reading on any topic possible!

good luck with it Page and have fun :)

page of wands

I love the idea, a few people have made their own oracles on here where there is just one edition, theirs! it's fun when they use it on other people in the oracle reading threads :thumbsup:

I would say there is two questions to think about when you are making it, even if just one edition for yourself.

1/ what is the overall theme of the oracle? could be like Celtic or Pagan or Harry Potter? (don't do a theme which is copyrighted like Potter if you want to make them available to other people or share pics of it publicly :) ) Positive affirmations or a message a day would also be the overall theme.

2/ what is the structure of the oracle? There isn't the same formal structure as tarot but you have to work out the cards to give a range of answers and this fits in with the overall theme. I think it could be tricky to work out the number of cards you need and the different meanings to make a complete reading on any topic possible!

good luck with it Page and have fun :)

That's good advice. There was an oracle deck I wanted on etsy, and i realized i could copy her so I did. I did simple drawings and one words for each card. I made it more to be like me, I mean I couldn't really help that. The girl in it is a redhead like me. When I drew a person, I drew me. And I use like same colors, red, light blue, yellow mainly. And I don't color the whole thing, just a part of the drawing just like the oracle cards I'm copying.

Michellehihi

I love the idea! I will make it as a project for 2017!
Also, I bought a book last year called "victorian flower oracle". No it's not the Baba oracle deck and has nothing to do with it. It gives ideas on making our own flower oracle with real dried flowers. I love the idea.

euripides

I've been thinking of trying to make one using unwanted game cards (Magic the Gathering and the like).

page of wands

I love the idea! I will make it as a project for 2017!
Also, I bought a book last year called "victorian flower oracle". No it's not the Baba oracle deck and has nothing to do with it. It gives ideas on making our own flower oracle with real dried flowers. I love the idea.

that would be so pretty.