21 cards:for beginners:easiest way to learn: simple

Lucifers Mum

Regarding layout

The layout of the cards is really interesting: I think the reason I recommend this for beginners is the order of the cards is less critical: so you can relax and make intuitive connections.
I build left to right: bottom to top: I think building from past to future is logical. In fact going from right to left will just give you a symmetrical reading.
So you can even mix that up and still be accurate. I'm proposing this method as a good way to practice interpretation: I think more advanced readers should have their own spreads.

cardlady22

I know that you have posted you are approaching things from a numerological standpoint. Could you give a little more of your take on the numbers: 3, 7 and the 10, 14?

Do you think applying the 7 lights/planets (of astrology) to the columns would be of any value?

MantraTarot

Lucifers Mum said:
Here is a traditional gypsy spread that I would recommend for beginners.
It is simplicity itself: 3 rows of 7 cards picked with left hand.

The bottom row represents past: the middle: present. the top is future.

The trick is to look for threads and connections: you have a lot to work with. plenty of scope for interpretation. Plenty of stories moving upwards, You get less of those, well, I can't see anything moments.

The numerology is 3 times 7 which is very positive. It has a nice comforting feel which puts people at ease. Once you get the hang of it, you can move on to different spreads or inventing your own.

why the left hand? does the left have a specific meaning? sounds interesting though. i'll give it a try.

fairyhedgehog

I tried this out using my Swedish Witch tarot, although I didn't cut the deck or use my left hand as I don't do that.

It makes a beautiful spread. It really looks lovely to see all those cards spread out like that and it was fascinating to me to see how grim the past looked and how much happier the present and future looked.

I like the Celtic Cross spread, or my version of it anyway, but this was a whole new experience.

Thanks for suggesting it, Lucifer's Mum.

Docc Rudolph

Choosing cards with the left hand?

Here's just one more thought on this...
The left hand is closest to the heart. I've heard & read this as the old explanation. But even by current thinking, this is the hand guided by the right side of the brain, the more intuitive, spacial, visual & holitically thinking hemisphere of the brain. This is so even for about 90% of left handed people, so it's not just about hemispheric dominance.

On the other hand (!), the woman who taught me Tarot long ago, when asked which hand to use to select cards, answered "It doesn't matter." She knew the tradition, but considered it unimportant. Personally, I prefer using the left hand, & suggest it to Querents also. (I also love old terms like "Querent" for questioner or client.)

I also agree that this 3X7 spread is a useful, simple, & flexible way to read, whether you're a beginner or not. It's great for general, no-particular-question readings, or for broad background behind specific questions. For quicker readings you can use just five cards per row, or nine for more involved readings.

By the way, I'm new to this forum, I've just been "lurking" for a couple of days, reading the posts, & enjoying the enthusiasm & fresh thinking I find. Thank you all for what you share.

Blessed be

Lucifers Mum

3 x 9 and 3x5

I hadnt thought of these: I would suggest the 3x9 gives luck and desire.
27 total 3x3x3=lucky lucky lucky 2 and 7 happy together

I would suggest this as an ideal way to look at how relationships might pan our.

3x5 doesnt give any good results: however I can't see why you cant vary it. I think 9 might get unwieldy.

I love the word Querant: it sounds so archaic. I do think asking someone to do something slightly uncomfortable to "appease" the spirits that are doing you a huge favour is a great idea: Stop lurking you have impressed me already.

Cactus Dahlia

Lucifers Mum said:
Here is a traditional gypsy spread that I would recommend for beginners.
It is simplicity itself: 3 rows of 7 cards picked with left hand.

The bottom row represents past: the middle: present. the top is future.

The trick is to look for threads and connections: you have a lot to work with. plenty of scope for interpretation. Plenty of stories moving upwards, You get less of those, well, I can't see anything moments.

The numerology is 3 times 7 which is very positive. It has a nice comforting feel which puts people at ease. Once you get the hang of it, you can move on to different spreads or inventing your own.

I tried this spread and had a great reading. The past was amazingly accurate and the future looked plausible. I laid out the rows from left to right. The number of cards used made it easy to make connections. Thanks for the spread.

fairyhedgehog

Docc Rudolph said:
By the way, I'm new to this forum, I've just been "lurking" for a couple of days, reading the posts, & enjoying the enthusiasm & fresh thinking I find. Thank you all for what you share.

Hi Docc Rudolph,

I just wanted to say welcome and I hope you have fun now that you've started to post.

All the best,
fh :)

All Is One

Excellent

I found this spread suggested in a book....perhaps by RJ Stewart, and perhaps not, and it does work. It works really really well.

Thank you for reminding me about it, I had totally forgotten it.

On subject of the right vs left hand, my father was beaten severely by his father for using his left hand. Like many here, he is now right handed. I am the only person on the planet who can read his hand writing, but his right hand is dominant.

The damage this crap causes is simply never going to be understood.

My sister was originally ambidextrous (I was so impressed when she could say that at age four) but ultimately on her own wound up using different hands for different things.

I find the whole left vs right handedness thing fascinating and have always wished I was born lefthanded.

I have hand envy.

Seafra

Dug out my one Rachel Pollack book and she has it -- the Work Cycle -- only you begin with a heart and cross, like you would a celtic cross layout. I remember using this with good results.
All Is One said:
I have hand envy.
Me too. Did you ever notice how many actors use their left? I've always been attracted to lefties. My father was forced to go right as a child. A gene called LRRTM1 is linked to left-handedness and is also associated with a slight increase in developing certain mental illnesses such as schizophrenia. Learn this. It may come up on Jeopardy or something /eyeroll