Tarot Magick Anyone?

Zechariah13

Ok, just a question.

I recently came across a book for "tarot spells", and i found it intruiging if anyone else had heard of or practiced this? I wasn't able to buy it, as i was short on cash and needed a different book, but thats beside the point. But when i do, i will be posting back on it.

Until then, however, anyone have experience with this? im very curious

senescal

Portable Magic got me into Tarot. It's about using the cards as a miniature temple. You can effectively do any ceremonial ritual on a tabletop with it.

Then I read Donald Michael Kraigs Tarot & Magic. Hated it. A bit too wiccan for me, too. Basically, he tells you to light a candle by a card that expresses your desire and then say a little rhyme. "Take the 9 of swords, light a black candle dressed in oils and say 'biddlebee, biddleboom, may my enemies meet their doom!' 20 times". Meh.

Now I'm reading the Ciceros' book on tarot cards as talismans. Seems solid so far.

Shade

Tarot Spells by Janina Renee is really rather good; the tarot Spellcaster is very pretty with a lot of good photography in it but I found I got less use from it than Tarot Spells.

Most tarot spells I have seen pair cards with colored candles and ask you to invoke a particular energy related to that card. I've only ever tried the Low Magick variety I am certain that people who have studied the Golden Dawn's magical materials or Crowley would be able to use the cards for High Magick (maybe someone here can point to a book with such workings).

Zechariah13

I can't remember the author of the book i saw, but i remember it used the RObin Wood deck for illustration.

I also dont remember it calling for candles, although candles are quite common in most magick. I just remember it calling for placing cards that represent the intended outcome around a significator. Darn i wish i could remember more. Tarot actually is what brought me into paganism, so the thought of Tarot Magick is awesome beyond belief for me.

frac_ture

Then I read Donald Michael Kraigs Tarot & Magic. Hated it. A bit too wiccan for me, too. Basically, he tells you to light a candle by a card that expresses your desire and then say a little rhyme. "Take the 9 of swords, light a black candle dressed in oils and say 'biddlebee, biddleboom, may my enemies meet their doom!' 20 times". Meh.

This made me laugh. I bought that book on I think my very first trip to my local shop when I also got my first Tarot deck, plus a couple of other books. It caught my eye on the shelf, and the copy they had there was used (ie., cheap...) and happened to be signed by the author, so I got it. Since then I've only ever flipped through it for a few seconds at a time, and I actually could feel myself starting to have the same reaction you describe here...so I set it back down with vague intentions of returning to it at some point. I have a good-sized pile of other books I want to get through first before I really consider getting back around to it (and your capsule summary isn't making me bump it higher up the list, either...;))

tarotbear

I have the first edition (The one with the printer's errors) of Renee's 'Tarot Magick' along with a letter from Renee herself (gotta be in the right place at the right time!) glued to the inside cover.

I have used this book countless times in countless situations ... there might be another thread on it somewhere in the archives ... ?

nisaba

It's an old practice, dating back to before the Golden Dawn, so at least the second half of the nineteenth century. The idea is to use chosen Tarot cards as focal points for your Directed Will, like any other magical focal point, such as herbs, candles, broken glass, string or anything else you might use in constructing your spell.

There is nothing inherently magical in *any* of them: "their" power comes from the force and focus of your own mind.

Carla

Portable Magic got me into Tarot. It's about using the cards as a miniature temple. You can effectively do any ceremonial ritual on a tabletop with it.

Now I'm reading the Ciceros' book on tarot cards as talismans. Seems solid so far.

I've wondered about Portable Magic. Do you recommend it? Is it worth owning? :)

Zephyros

There is nothing inherently magical in *any* of them: "their" power comes from the force and focus of your own mind.

The Force :bugeyed: