RWS decks not by US Games

JohnKaartunen

FLizarraga,

I like the German one also. The colors are pretty mild, and the cards aren't so glossy. I really hate the feel of the more recent versions. My wife absolutely can't stand the texture of the newer decks. And the Cracklebacks are a nice touch.

FLizarraga

John, I seem to recognize a fellow dyslexic, as the cards are in the exact reverse order of what you said... šŸ˜‚ I was going crazy until I actually looked at the titles.

Your Pam B seems to be in amazing shape, by the way. And your wife seems to be really discerning. :)

JohnKaartunen

Ha, thanks. I fixed it lol. Yeah, it's in really great shape. I'm not sure they were ever used. Well, my wife has been reading tarot for a while, and I think she would've been fine with the newer editions of the Rider Waite decks. Until I started doing research, and bought her a older copy. The rest is history. It's all my fault, I created a monster. lol

PurplePixie

thank you

loving this thread. thank you for responding. I can't wait to hear what you think about the colors of the 1910 revived "photo copy" deck..and... not really off topic, I too just bought the Premium deck so I'm excited to see the colors after reading everyone's opinions on it. I do love the centennial deck and thought the cards were just pics of Kaplans deck but the more I read about it ,I see it was "teastained" or made to look older? If that's true I wish they hadn't done that.

PurplePixie

waterproof deck etc..

Ok i think I was wrong about my deck being waterproof..(not by dunking them in water, mind you..lol) The vender has other decks and I assumed they were all water proof but I think the deck I have is not. Anyhoo.. they are ok for a deck but not the best.. SOmething is off about the printing. I got the pocket version and the pictures are squat/squished/wider than the standard deck. The card stock is not my fav...still an ok deck.. might give it away to a non collector who just wants a deck to use.

BUT, possibly off topic, I just did a comparison of my mini albano waite from early 70's and the mini albano from us games in the 90's and the 90's deck is not only colored differently (darker,cluttered, less detailed)But it was also squat/squished. That mini from the 70's is really nice

JohnKaartunen

I'm so jealous of your vintage mini Albano!! So as far as I can understand, it looks like the Page of Pentacles card is one that is way off on the newer Albano versions. On the vintage, it is a lavender background, the newer looks more blue. You will really like the German Premium cards. :)

PurplePixie

My mini Albano? I'm jealous of your PAM B! lol I was so excited when I found that mini. I love miniatures almost as much as vintage/antique cards. So this deck hits two of my sweet spots..and I was born in 68 so I love it even more.

JohnKaartunen

From what I understand, and I could be wrong, the Albano mini's actually came out before the 2nd printing of the full size deck. So you have a very nice vintage deck!

PurplePixie

oh wow, I didn't know that! groovy! ;-)

FLizarraga

PurplePixie, you will love the German Premium. The Centennial is lovely in its own right, but the aged, tea-stained effect can be too murky sometimes. I find it a little moody, like it's not a deck you whip out any day.