Symbolism in the RWS 6 of Cups

kwaw

The children may also relate to Tiphareth is also that of the child (vau)... and the cross a symbol of conversion (through historical association with Christian Emperors and Imperial Christianity).

"Except ye be converted, and become as little children, ye shall not enter into the kingdom of heaven."

Richard

.....I don't see creepiness in this image, I see something very sweet, innocent, gentle.....
Same here. Also, I don't see it as necessarily referring to the past. Believe it or not, even someone in their mid 70s (such as I) can indulge in innocent (and very pleasant) random expressions of friendship without any ulterior motive. Have we become so jaded that this is deemed unlikely or unrealistic? I really hope not!

ravenest

X marks the spot: the centrality of Tiphereth. This mirrors the centrality of the (inner) Self. In Aion, C. G. Jung identifies the Christ as archetype of the Self. X (as Chi) is a common abbreviation for Christ (ΧΡΙΣΤΟΣ).

X marks the spot ... here is beauty (Tiphareth - 6 ) .

ravenest

Same here. Also, I don't see it as necessarily referring to the past. Believe it or not, even someone in their mid 70s (such as I) can indulge in innocent (and very pleasant) random expressions of friendship without any ulterior motive. Have we become so jaded that this is deemed unlikely or unrealistic? I really hope not!

Well said.

This has also been part of my point all along.

ravenest

Regarding the gloves and apron as being Masonic:
"In the continental rites of Masonry, as practised in France, in Germany, and in other countries of Europe, it is an invariable custom to present the newly-initiated candidate not only, as we do, with a white leather apron, but also with two pairs of white kid gloves, one a man's pair for himself, and the other a woman's, to be presented by him in turn to his wife or his betrothed, according to the custom of the German masons, or, according to the French, to the female whom he most esteems. . . . The investiture with the gloves is very closely connected with the investiture with the apron, . . . both are allusive to a purification of life. "Who shall ascend," says the Psalmist, "into the hill of the Lord? or who shall stand in his holy place? He that hath clean hands and a pure heart." The apron may be said to refer to the "pure heart," the gloves to the "clean hands." Both are significant of purification - of that purification which was always symbolized bv the ablution which preceded the ancient initiations into the sacred Mysteries.*. . . the Psalmist says, "I will wash my hands in innocence, and I will encompass thine altar, Jehovah."
THE SYMBOLISM OF FREEMASONRY, Albert G. Mackey, 1882, p. 136-138.

What is NOT in contention is that Masons get white gloves ... and aprons , so I dont know what your point is here, or why you are putting that quote up.

It looks like you are trying to link that quote with the card without directly comitting yourself , a sort of inference. Sorry if I am wrong, but if I am, why put that post here?

I think you are fudging ;

" Regarding the gloves and apron as being Masonic: "

Should read ; Regarding SOME gloves and apron as being Masonic: "

Your wording inferes it is THE glove in the card and your following quote suggests it is relating to the glove in the card ... I am sorry T.

Girls white MITTEN (no fingers , ie. a mitten )

http://2.bp.blogspot.com/_OkN9vYqkdIE/S-AqJ6NMSpI/AAAAAAAAAhE/NLqxmCXkvb8/s1600/6+cups+rw.jpg

Masonic white GLOVES (with fingers , ie. a glove)

http://www.clermontdirect.com/images/Masonic gloves.jpg

Royal Arch Masonic Gloves;

http://www.freemasonstore.com/image...lyester-gloves-tggl-p-4.jpg.thumb_500x381.jpg

They have the emblem of the degree on them

http://1.bp.blogspot.com/-k5_w7LOQ4eE/TXsAGcUaRyI/AAAAAAAAACI/uxgWxQWJwcI/s320/images.jpg

I think you are seeing it as a masonic glove to support your idea that the RW tarot cards are full of Masonic symbolism ... they aren't , althought hey may be full of masonic associations for you.

Some people may see the glove as something else (aside from the obvious mitten) :

This guy could likewise be a mason (he even has a 'Royal Arch sash' on ;

http://stashpit.com/upload/big/2013/07/12/51e09d27bb837.jpg

Michael Sternbach

I really don't see this being advocated here or anywhere else. In this thread, which started years ago, some people were discussing how they saw something creepy lying beneath this image. I did not conclude that this meant they would project this idea onto the 6 of cups in a reading situation, perhaps if their sitter saw something creepy in it they might allow that kind of tangent to be explored. As most of the members who had posted so many years ago are long gone now, we cannot really know what they meant when exploring some of the creepier thoughts that this image conjured within their minds...

I don't see creepiness in this image, I see something very sweet, innocent, gentle. But if someone else sees a dwarf who has less than honorable intentions, in a reading situation, well, it seems to me the sitter is the one who is able to say yay or nay to the suggestion, especially if it is the sitter who sees this aspect in that image. Should a reader ever suggest such an unpleasant scenario when this card comes up in a reading, without being cued to it by the sitter? I'd say no. Again, I do not think anyone here has suggested that it is okay to do so.

We are touching a sensitive topic here that must be handled with greatest care by any Tarot reader. I'm highlighting this because, having been involved professionally with psychotherapy for a long time, I am well aware of a type of psychotherapist who all too easily finds "evidence" for sexual abuse in childhood in their adult clients. There was a veritable wave of such incidents being suddenly "remembered" back in the 90s on the suggestion of a therapist. While true incidents of that kind cause most severe traumas, the thing is that we all have an "abused child" in us somewhere, and the psyche tends to translate unfinished business into vivid scenes given encouragement by a counsellor. Many a family was sadly disrupted because of such unconscious dramatization. Psychology magazines published about it.

My bottom line is that, while it is not inconceivable that the 6 of Cups could refer to a past event of abuse in an individual case, it would be highly inadequate for a reader to pull such an interpretation out of the sleeve without such an occurrence being strongly evident otherwise.

kwaw

6 cups with flowers of 5 petals = 6dg=5sq (the position of tiphareth, 6th from Keter, 5th from malkuth)?

Aoife

There's been some fascinating material - I'm learning much, thank you.
But there's also been much repetition of personal interpretations of this card... and dare I say it, rather a lot of pontificating [if not posturing] without real life examples to demonstrate in practice.

If Teheuti's scenarios are too specific, perhaps other examples from actual readings could be given?

So, why don't we each give our interpretation of a couple of one-card readings in which the RWS Six of Cups appears. If you use a particular interpretative system, please state what it is.

1) A 28-year-old married man in an upwardly mobile career wants to know what he should do to get a raise at work.

2) A 35-year-old single woman wants to know why none of her relationships don't last longer than a year.

3) A 45-year-old divorced man wants to know if he should move from Rochester NY to San Diego CA.

Zephyros

If Teheuti's scenarios are too specific, perhaps other examples from actual readings could be given?

I see no reason, plus that belongs in UTC. In fact, all personal interpretations ought to be relegated there. That's what it is expressly for. Why, when researching Waite, should there be any interest in how a card is used?

Aoife

Why, when researching Waite, should there be any interest in how a card is used?
Well... there seems to be some repetition, and 'inability to hear', if not comprehend, differing viewpoints. In my experience, practical demonstrations can be illuminating, and helpful in furthering understanding. Doesn't have to be a full reading... just where the 6 of Cups has been significant. I'm sure, given the wide-ranging nature of the discussion to date, this would be pertinent?