Mercury Retrograde in Libra - Monday, Sept. 7, 2009

GoddessArtemis

It's baaaaack. I thought we had until Sun's entrance into Libra before Mercury would go retrograde...but I stand corrected. Here's more info on this "joyous" (insert sarcastic tone) event:

At 04:46 UT (Universal Time), on Monday, September 7th, 2009, Mercury the cosmic trickster turns retrograde at 6°13' Libra, in the sign of the Scales, sending communications, travel, appointments, mail and the www into a general snarlup! The retro period begins some days before the actual turning point (as Mercury slows) and lasts for three weeks or so, until Sep. 29, when the Winged Messenger reaches his direct station. At this time he halts and begins his return to direct motion through the zodiac.

Everything finally straightens out on October 18, as he passes the point where he first turned retrograde. Mercury normally turns retrograde three times a year, but this year he turns tail four times, which is unusual. The effects of each period differ, according to the sign in which it happens (see box for Retrograde Periods in 2009).

A planet is described as retrograde when it appears to be moving backwards through the zodiac. According to modern science, this traditional concept arises in the illusory planetary motion created by the orbital rotation of the earth with relation to other planets in our solar system. Planets are never actually retrograde or stationary, they just seem that way due to this cosmic shadow-play. Click here for more on the science of retrograde planetary motion.

Retrograde periods, although often problematic for us earthlings, are not particularly uncommon. Each planet retrogrades, except the Sun and Moon. Although a powerful astrological influence, Mercury is quite a small planet that travels at a relatively fast speed through the zodiac. Despite being the closest planet in our solar system to the Sun, he is not always in the same sign as the Sun. This time, Mercury turns retrograde in Libra (relationships; tastes; harmony) while the Sun is in Virgo (analysis; critical ability), but retrogrades into Virgo at the Virgo New Moon on Sep. 18 (while the Sun of course is still in Virgo). The Sun moves into Libra at the Equinox on Sep. 22 while Merc is still in Virgo, but Mercury soon heads back to join the Sun in Libra on Oct. 10.

To read the complete article on this event, CLICK HERE.

GA

214red

Thanks GA!

Indigo Rose

Oh boy, I have a feeling this one is going to be a bit choppy for my Libra loved ones; especially since Saturn will be heading into Libra on October 29th!:(
Looks like lots of love and prayers are in order. :heart:
Thanks for the heads up, GA.

214red

take hold of the sides and brace yourself for the high winds...

Milfoil

Oh joy. Guess when my birthday is! Looks like a fun time ahead for the next 6 weeks or so.

Blah, I'll let you know if life is any worse than normal.

GoddessArtemis

Milfoil said:
Oh joy. Guess when my birthday is! Looks like a fun time ahead for the next 6 weeks or so.

Blah, I'll let you know if life is any worse than normal.
Is your birthday on Oct. 10th? That's a psychic guess.. ;)

My mom is a Libra and also has Libra in Saturn...rough terrain ahead. I have Pluto in Libra, rx, in 11th and in Uranus in Libra, rx, in 12th, so I'll be feeling a few b**** slaps myself.

Hang on, people!

GA

puppydung

With a Libran Mercury/Mars/Sun, this period could be quite tense for me. And Saturn will soon put his heavy feet into Libra, making a terrible square to Pluto in Capricorn as well.

Oh I don't want to believe, but I have to :(

AmethystEyes

How would I feel for a person with Libra as their Sun/Mercury/Moon/Venus not be but still..... ??

Milfoil

I see Mercury retrograde in a quite positive light, reading this makes sense:

The key issue here is one of focus. Mercury's retro phase tends to bring unforeseen changes and blockages, but the aggravation and frustration that many of us experience during these periods is often due to our own inability to roll with the punches. Is this due to our ego-fixation?

Mercury sets out to restructure our thinking processes and for many of us this is painful and frustrating. Unresolved issues from the past tend to push themselves forward. Moreover, these experiences reveal flaws in our internal organisation as well as our external planning, which can make us feel foolish and inadequate.

From here.

Its generally the way, we expect something to be the way we desire and because it is thwarted, we don't learn the lesson but merely crib about the problem.

If you think about it as a kind parent who, for your own good, stops you going out with your friends at 15, in THAT dress to an all night party because they know the consequences, then it starts to make more sense that sometimes our plans will be thwarted and we need to learn, grow and accept a higher wisdom.

Whatever comes up for me, I will 'roll with the punches' and see why is looks like this situation has come about . . .