Why are playing cards not so popular?

Joermit

More great sites in addition to those listed...

www.geocities.com/twelveofhearts
www.brigids-haven.com/bos/divination/cartomancy.html
www.cafeastrology.com/fortunetellingcards.html
www.talisman.net/tarot/regcard.html
www3.sympatico.ca/terrir/divination_index.html

Seems I know of more but can't find em right now... we got moved over to the oracle section, which is okay... I really wanted to get some tarot readers thoughts on this though... so hopefully, they'll shimmy over here... thanks all...

Joey...

ArcanoMáximo

being a Tarot Reader, to me use a playing deck is like if a surgeon went to operate without taking the scalpel or some other fundamental instrument, because i feel the tarot as a complete system!
I guess you can use those decks when you are another kind of reader, perhaps someone with other psychic powers?

Joermit

I consider PCs to a very complete system... and it certainly seems to have a longer history for divination... before tarot was as popular and mainstream as it was today, playing cards were mostly used for readings... this a number of people have a family tradition of card reading... consider this...

52 cards in a deck = 52 weeks in a year
4 suits = 4 seasons = 4 elements
2 colors = night and day, yin and yang, male and female
if you add up all the numeric values of the cards = 364 + joker = 365 which are the number of days in year
12 court cards = 12 astrological signs
13 cards in each suit = 13 weeks in each season = 13 lunar months in a year

and so on, and so on, and so forth...

there's biblical references made to cards...

Many feel card are only useful for predictive/fortune telling type readings.. I've found they do wonderful divinatory exercises and can be used just as tarot cards can... any more experienced ppl thoughts...

Joey

Barbaras Ahajusts

Wow. Excellent links KK & Joey! Thank you! My cartomancy folder in my bookmark link if getting full! :D

Barb

Little Baron

ArcanoMáximo said:
being a Tarot Reader, to me use a playing deck is like if a surgeon went to operate without taking the scalpel or some other fundamental instrument, because i feel the tarot as a complete system!
I guess you can use those decks when you are another kind of reader, perhaps someone with other psychic powers?

But how do we know that the 78 tarot cards that we have is the complete system? We don't know what might have existed before or what was intended. We just believe that it is meant to be the way that we view it today. We have no idea about what important keys may have been lost in time.

LB

ArcanoMáximo

very eloquent LB!
and yes, is true, i have not proofs, but is just what i feel, what i think that fits at the best.
To me Tarot give us a precise "flowchart" (is that the right word?)
of the Pluriverse and the Life, as i say in my blog under the title "Eureka",
and the pic i'm adding is part of what i think too.
Theories are an important part of knowledge because the most of it can't be proved at all, don't you agree :) ?

Attachments

• FromMayorstoCourts0001.jpg
    FromMayorstoCourts0001.jpg
    30.7 KB · Views: 177

Papageno

LittleBuddha said:
But how do we know that the 78 tarot cards that we have is the complete system? We don't know what might have existed before or what was intended. We just believe that it is meant to be the way that we view it today. We have no idea about what important keys may have been lost in time.

LB

we don't know. does it matter?
but there are a lot of things in the history of humanity that have been lost forever. does it matter? to some people it does, some people seem to feel the need to "go back to the source". well we are not sure of the source for many things, but that doesn't stop us from evolving technologically and spiritually, and in the end the bottom line is what works in the here and now and how can we make things better.
even if some important keys may or may not have been lost, it doesn't mean we cannot advance and achieve the same or better results.
it's all very subjective.
hundreds of years from now, one of the few exisiting tarot decks left may be a incomplete Miss Cleo tarot, and who knows, fate will play a big joke on the rest of us looking down from above shaking our heads in dismay while Miss Cleo is diefied as an important high priestess of late 20th century spirituality and her tarot missing half the cards will be under glass and revered as holy scripture. you laugh now, but life and fate are that way. you never know.
but that wouldn't stop a truly gifted person from reading a facsimile of that half demolished deck and achieving amazing results, because it's alll about the reader, not the cards. it always has been.
I am rambling like a crazy person, but that thought makes me laugh, and now I will have dinnner.

MareSaturni

Joermit said:
I consider PCs to a very complete system... and it certainly seems to have a longer history for divination... before tarot was as popular and mainstream as it was today, playing cards were mostly used for readings... this a number of people have a family tradition of card reading... consider this...

52 cards in a deck = 52 weeks in a year
4 suits = 4 seasons = 4 elements
2 colors = night and day, yin and yang, male and female
if you add up all the numeric values of the cards = 364 + joker = 365 which are the number of days in year
12 court cards = 12 astrological signs
13 cards in each suit = 13 weeks in each season = 13 lunar months in a year

and so on, and so on, and so forth...

there's biblical references made to cards...

Many feel card are only useful for predictive/fortune telling type readings.. I've found they do wonderful divinatory exercises and can be used just as tarot cards can... any more experienced ppl thoughts...

Joey

Wow Joey!
Fantastic thing, isn't it?

I've always loved PC - i've lerned a method called "Personal Porphecy" that's is very good for reading PCs.

I think people don't like it much because the cards aren't as interesting as Tarot cards, apparently. I love PCs...i've got good reading from them.

~Yuko

Mystic Leo

Thank you to Joermit for this thread, I have found it most interesting.

The very best reading I ever had was from an elderly lady with playing cards. It was quite a few years ago now. I have never forgotten just how accurate she was, and was able to tell me things that even I had forgotten.

I have always wanted to read PCs, tried the Hedge Wytchery, but just couldn't get into it, didn't seem to hold my interest.

I am very pleased with these links, thanks to everyone. I will be interested to know what everyone thinks about the best site, for a starting point for someone, and how you go with it LB.

Joermit

Thanks, all!

It's nice to have our good ol playing cards get some attention...lol... your kind remarks and most appreciated... as for a best system... I recommend just going through them all and seeing what kinda works for you... play with them... experiement.... I pull from various and have found a system that works for me... I've studied all the sites mentioned... and I've read a number of books on it... basically any I can get my hands on... if you go to amazon.com and do a book search on...

cartomancy
fortune telling with playing cards
divination with playing cards

you'll get a number of books... most out of print but available for as low as a couple bucks for used copies.. I've read the ones by Jonathan Dee, Richard Webster, Ana Cortez, Sophia, Nerys Dee, Jane Lyle, and some others that I just can't think of at the moment... and all of them vary somewhat... I've also talked with some cartomancers who've learned it form their mothers or grandmothers... one lady I know of Greek heritage uses 51 cards, leaving out the 2 of Diamonds for some reason... another uses all 52, another I know uses 32.... not met anyone who uses 36 or 40 just yet... but those are the lenormand and spanish styles... I personally use 52 plus the joker to equal 53... I've found I started off heavily relying on tarot interpretations... and including some energies of major cards into what I felt would be a minor correspondance... not really in a trump fashion, but just because I felt the two meanings could be sorta blended.... like the 2 of Cups as the Lovers... 8 of Cups as the Hermit... 10 of Cups as the Sun... 9 of Cups as the Star... 7 of Cups as the moon... Queen of Swords as Justice... King of Wands as Emperor, etc... then combined page and knights to equal jacks... this worked for a while and then I moved beyond it... I've found each card to have a sorta energy to it that really needs exploring... daily pulls helped me to hone this... and it still changes... I've incorporated some basic numerology, astrology, and element associations... and played with spreads... I've found an elaborate modified celtic works wonderfully for long readings... and simple horshoes and three cards pulls great for shorter reads... there's so much in here.. the actual pattern the suit images make now affects readings... for example.. in the 7s (which can represent obstacles) if the middle suit pic is closest to the bottom I've found this indicates sooner than later... and the oppositive is if it's at the top... this was a minor thing I picked up, but really adds some extra lil things to consider when reading cards... really fascinating how something apparently so simple as playing cards, can be so very deep and profound... now I'm just rambling...lol I should get to bed... thanks again! take care...

Joey