Sabian Symbols Study Group: Aries Degree 18 - #18

Elven

:) Welcome to the Sabian Symbol Oracle Study thread!

Please feel free to discuss the Sabian Symbol in this thread, and to ask questions or, explore any aspect of the many interpretions the Symbol holds. Please add your own observations and interpretations too!! The Symbol used in this heading is by Lynda Hill www.sabiansymbols.com

Sun Sign: ARIES
Degree: 18
Number: 18

Symbol: AN EMPTY HAMMOCK HANGS BETWEEN TWO LOVELY TREES.

Elven

The Karmic Symbol for Aries 18 is:
ARIES 17 ~ TWO PRIM SPINSTERS SITTING TOGETHER IN SILENCE.

The Quest Symbol for Aries 18 is:
ARIES 19 ~ A MAGIC CARPET HOVERS OVER THE DEPRESSING REALITY OF EVERYDAY LIFE IN AN INDUSTRIAL AREA.

The Opposite Symbol for Aries 18 is:
LIBRA 18 ~ TWO MEN PLACED UNDER ARREST GIVING AN ACCOUNTING FOR THEIR ACTS BEFORE THE TRIBUNAL OF SOCIETY.

The 3 symbol in Tension with Aries 18 are:
CANCER 18 ~ A HEN IS SCRATCHING FOR HER CHICKS.

LIBRA 18 ~ TWO MEN PLACED UNDER ARREST GIVING AN ACCOUNTING FOR THEIR ACTS BEFORE THE TRIBUNAL OF SOCIETY.

CAPRICORN 18 ~ THE UNION JACK FLIES FROM A NEW BRITISH WARSHIP.

Symbols of the 5 Pointed Star (72 degree apart) from Aries 18 are:
GEMINI 30 ~ A PARADE OF BATHING BEAUTIES BEFORE LARGE BEACH CROWDS.

VIRGO 12 ~ A BRIDE WITH HER VEIL SNATCHED AWAY.

SCORPIO 24 ~ CROWDS COMING DOWN THE MOUNTAIN TO LISTEN TO ONE INSPIRED MAN.

AQUARIUS 6 ~ A MASKED FIGURE PERFORMS RITUALISTIC ACTS IN A MYSTERY PLAY.

Blessings
Elven x

GoddessArtemis

Did you get all that?

This sabian symbol immediately makes me think of the 4 of Wands card. It's actually interesting since wands often represent the element of FIRE, which is also the astrological element of Aries.

Also, the thought of the hammock being "empty" makes me smile, because most Arians (as Aries people are known) tend to be very active and energetic, so it's not likely for one to find an Arian resting in a hammock, when there's so much of the world to conquer! ;) But the symbol COULD indicate the rest to be had AFTER one has accomplished their goals in the world.

Another thought based on nothing more than my own imagination and what my friends call my "weird tarot math," which somehow always seems to make sense, is this: the only time Aries will fall on the 18th (per the degrees of this symbol) is in April. According to my weird tarot mathematics: April 18 (sun sign, Aries) can also be seen as the 18th of the 4th month, or 4/18. If you add 4+1+8=13...and 1+3=4. This brings us back to the tarot card this symbol reminds me of, *4* of Wands! In addition, the number "4" in the minor arcana of the tarot is often representative of some sort of rest or stillness (4 Wands, 4 cups, 4 swords, 4 pentacles)...which brings my thought full circle: the symbol here seems to indicate "rest"...going back to the #4! Oh, AND, one more thought which can build on the numerological feat :)D) I just performed is that the 4th card of the major arcana is The Emperor, often associated with the astrological sign of Aries! Hey now! My tarot math just came full circle! Yessss!

Isn't that a cool and round about way of thinking of numbers for someone as mathematically challenged as myself?! :D

GA

Elven

I like the way you think GoddessArtemis!!! :)

Its a great representation of the '4' - I knew an Aries man like this - he couldnt stop rushing around EVER. The only time he rested and went out with his wife (well alot of the time anyway) was at two in the morning, to the 24 hour Pizza restraunt. :p In him I see much of the four - he was an 'Emperor' as well - top business man in his own company!

Always best to keep an eye out and make time for the Hammock between the trees.

Blessings
Elven x

MCsea

Lynda HIlls www.sabiansymbol.com website says - Take some time out to relax. You are being too hard on yourself. It's no crime to stop to regain your strength. You needn't sacrifice your opportunity to rest for someone else. Everyone is entitled to their share of peace and pleasure.
Detachment. Abandonment. Having too much to do to be able to rest.
The Caution: Deliberately pushing yourself when in need of rest or not involving yourself in life's complexities.

Dr Marc E Jones says the keyword is Rumination and he talks about poise and balance..

Solarfire body part is Nerve connections - synapses

I know a man who's north node is this symbol he is nearly 70 and he spends his time meditating in the rainforest - WHAT A LIFE PATH JOURNEY END!

Marina

MCsea

Element Shale
Discussion Shale is a fine grained rock. The particles that make up shale, remian suspended in water for a long time, hanging around before they drop out of slow moving water, forming shale under earth pressures. Shale is formed in layers, and fractures along these planes to form ‘flat sheets’. Shale has a very earthy feeling, it aids in rest and facilitates contemplation. The energy spirit and formation of shale fits well with an empty hammock.

tink27

GoddessArtemis said:
This sabian symbol immediately makes me think of the 4 of Wands card. It's actually interesting since wands often represent the element of FIRE, which is also the astrological element of Aries.

Also, the thought of the hammock being "empty" makes me smile, because most Arians (as Aries people are known) tend to be very active and energetic, so it's not likely for one to find an Arian resting in a hammock, when there's so much of the world to conquer! ;) But the symbol COULD indicate the rest to be had AFTER one has accomplished their goals in the world.

Another thought based on nothing more than my own imagination and what my friends call my "weird tarot math," which somehow always seems to make sense, is this: the only time Aries will fall on the 18th (per the degrees of this symbol) is in April. According to my weird tarot mathematics: April 18 (sun sign, Aries) can also be seen as the 18th of the 4th month, or 4/18. If you add 4+1+8=13...and 1+3=4. This brings us back to the tarot card this symbol reminds me of, *4* of Wands! In addition, the number "4" in the minor arcana of the tarot is often representative of some sort of rest or stillness (4 Wands, 4 cups, 4 swords, 4 pentacles)...which brings my thought full circle: the symbol here seems to indicate "rest"...going back to the #4! Oh, AND, one more thought which can build on the numerological feat :)D) I just performed is that the 4th card of the major arcana is The Emperor, often associated with the astrological sign of Aries! Hey now! My tarot math just came full circle! Yessss!

Isn't that a cool and round about way of thinking of numbers for someone as mathematically challenged as myself?! :D

GA

I'm relatively no I'm very new to the Sabian symbols. I'd like to join this group in its interpretation. They allow such deep reflection, I thought I'd give a go here, although I think everyone here has given such great responses. GA, I do love this interpretation.

Dane Rudhyar stresses the idea of "rhythmic living" for this symbol. While being active, it is important to balance this activity with rest, both in actuality and symbolically in our minds. When we are so-o-o busy and pushing, pushing to get ahead, we need the blance of rest, relaxation and appreciation or we risk burnout or being out of control. I think this symbols tells us it is important to schedule time out to play and rest and to listen to our body's need to relax.

tink

purple_scorp

I thought it would be good to use the Orphalese software to record my daily sabian symbol readings and so set about looking for appropriate images to convey the meaning of each card.

Attached is what I came up with for this symbol.

with love
purple_scorp

Attachments

• 17.jpg
    17.jpg
    39.5 KB · Views: 219

tink27

Lo-o-o-v-v-e- the picture purple_scorp! Wish I was under those palm trees, relaxing to the peaceful sound of the waves gently rolling in.

(giggle) I looked at this symbol and it was the first time I posted in the Sabians. I had looked it up on the internet and in the process discovered an interesting book online by Dane Rudhyar about rhythm. http://www.khaldea.com/rudhyar/rw/rw_c3_p1.shtml

My oh my, with everyone’s help, I’ve come a long way since then.

I just had an interesting thought…..Aries rules the head and brain……and Arians really needs to control the mind which is our director of conscious energy. People I know that are Arians, are constantly struggling with the mind and what goes on between their thoughts. One smart friend of mine, who’s mind is so quick, has a stutter when his thoughts are streaming ahead of his mouth!

Purple_scorp’s picture shows us a white hammock between two trees with branches overlapping, creating a beautiful canopy. Is this possibly to anchor the soul so it doesn’t soar endlessly…….but has the ability to reach the top of trees….ohhh imagine the view from up there!!! We have the ability to look at our situation, our options and then ‘act’ accordingly. A synchronized dance of the ego and the soul.

There is an expression said by Andre Gide, Man (One) cannot discover new oceans until he (one) has the courage to lose sight of the shore

tink :love:

purple_scorp

tink27 said:
There is an expression said by Andre Gide, Man (One) cannot discover new oceans until he (one) has the courage to lose sight of the shore
Ah, which reminds me of a quote from Lynda's book - I think on the Retired Captain watching the ships go in and out of the harbour symbol - it's along the lines of:

.....A ship is safe in the harbour, but that's not what ships are built for......

Now, interestingly, glass-bottomed boat boy is an Aries. His mother gave me for Christmas last year, a hammock. I haven't yet put it up because I don't have two trees close enough to hold it. So, it's still sitting in its packet. I could have hung it on my verandah but I doubt now that I will ever put it up.

And, that photo reminds me of a trip I took back in the 80s to South Molle Island (off coast Queensland). We went for a day trip out to Hamilton and Hayman Islands and I remember sitting under a tree (not in a hammock) sipping a beautiful banana/rum cocktail called a Banshee. When I look at the photo, I can picture myself there.

I don't know how either of these comments relate back to this symbol but it's what popped into my head when I read through the posts in this thread.

with love
purple_scorp