A Crystal Ball...

celticnoodle

Beautiful pictures hearthcricket & thinbuddha! I feel like an 'awful' parent, not only did I not name my crystal ball, but i've never taken it's picture! i'll have to remedy that situation soon! :laugh:

hearthcricket---may i recommend the crystal ball book by Uma Silbey? I have her book, and I know it's around here somewhere---but forget the title. You can find it online- not available in bookstores anymore, but Santa, the dear ol' elf, brought it to me for this Christmas past.. I found it to be excellent! Though, I think you & Miranda have bonded so well already, you may not need another book at this point!

HearthCricket

That is the book I am waiting for in the mail! I hope to get it by next Wednesday. It looks really good and I do like to have a few books on the subject since it is all new to me and I want to cover it well!

Little Baron

I would say that books are an asset. Getting anything from a ball is not easy, if you are doing it properly, and I think that some guidance in preparation and how to work at it in stages is probably essential. I don't think it is like card reading, where you can simply guess at what the pictures might mean [to you]. It takes a lot of persistance and a LOT of time, which is why I have gotton absolutely nothing from my one, 'Mute' [named for this very reason, hehe]. Not everyone will be bothered to put this in. I think it is also important to acknowledge that not everyone is going to be able to read with a ball either, however much they try. Using your intuition in the way you do with cards is not the same. I don't think it is as easy as just connecting with your inner voice. The images are either there, with a heck of a lot of practice, or not.

LB

Alta

Thanks for the recommendation on the Uma Silbey book. I went to amazon and read the review on Ted Andrews book, which wasn't very favorable. Are those the two main ones?

HearthCricket

LittleBuddha said:
I would say that books are an asset. Getting anything from a ball is not easy, if you are doing it properly, and I think that some guidance in preparation and how to work at it in stages is probably essential. I don't think it is like card reading, where you can simply guess at what the pictures might mean [to you]. It takes a lot of persistance and a LOT of time, which is why I have gotton absolutely nothing from my one, 'Mute' [named for this very reason, hehe]. Not everyone will be bothered to put this in. I think it is also important to acknowledge that not everyone is going to be able to read with a ball either, however much they try. Using your intuition in the way you do with cards is not the same. I don't think it is as easy as just connecting with your inner voice. The images are either there, with a heck of a lot of practice, or not.

LB

I agree. Some of the stuff Ted Andrews said, so far, has been helpful. I like the fact that he admits he prefers using a smaller crystal ball and that he finds the ones with things in it, like planes, occlusions, inclusions, etc., are far more helpful to a beginner than just a crystal clear one, because it helps us focus and gives us a "doorway" into the ball and gazing. Things like cleanse your ball in salt water isn't for me. Gosh, that is the last thing I plan to do with something that is this costly! I have a jewelers cloth for keeping her clean, but I am the only one touching her, anyhow, and right now Miranda is behind glass on a bookshelf, tucked safely in a corner where she can be left alone. And I have no plan on rolling her over my body for healing purposes, as was suggested in the book. lol Sorry, no thank you! I plan to do my best and read what I can find. I might even be able to find something older in a local library. I must say I am a bit surprised to find there is very little info out there, so I will do some websurfing, too. And it is definitely going to be harder than reading tarot or oracles where the images are plain in your face and your imagination can soar from there. But crystal ball gazing is such an old practice that I truly would love to at least give it a good try and see what comes of it!! If nothing comes of it, I have a lovely paperweight and cool Halloween decoration! ;)

MysticalMoose

Ohhhh What beautiful pictures ....Miranda is certainly Very "much admired" :) when do you expect Ophelia to arrive?
You have inspired me again Hearthcricket, you have a way of writing things, you should be an author! :)..I have quite a large clear ball 120mm, which is beautiful but I have not for years got round to attempting to use it, ( no name either sadly! :() ~it has been sitting on my bookcase looking lovely for a long time, bathed & buffed regularly but unused....maybe that will change now...:) I spotted in my friends shop on thursday a lovely smaller ball, with rainbows & occlusions etc a 3.5mm one...I think when I go back this week if it is still there I will be tempted........Cant wait to hear your latest updates on your bonding with Miranda!!!
MM :love:

HearthCricket

Ophelia should arrive next Tuesday or Wednesday. I have to do some shopping around for a holder for her. She is 2.85 inches, so I am almost border line for a 3 inch ball size. Miranda is excited. Actually, she is beside herself in misty happiness. I took a peek at her, wishing her a good morning and though she didn't flash one of her rainbows at me (still feeling a bit shy) she did show off some of those lovely planes and ghostly twirls in her, which makes her a very mysterious ball! As I look over at her, right now, I can see two rainbow reflections. So much depends on the light. I may pull her out, later and set her with my tarot cards, if I get the chance to do a reading or two. I am trying to introduce her to the whole idea of divination and scrying, and I think she just giggles. After all, she is probably a lot older than I am and much wiser than I think!

Another thing I really liked about Ted Andrew's book is his comparison in looking at images in a crystal ball to ink blots. When we look at those ink blots we try to imagine what they are and everyone sees something different. There is no correct answer~the answer is in the eye of the beholder. So, it is much like divination of any sort. If one lays down the same tarot cards for three people, you will get three different readings, etc. And the series of mazes to practice "seeing beyond". I thought they were clever ways of showing how to practice up for gazing. So, here and there, I find myself reading a section, then peeking at Miranda, then going back to the book, while she just soaks in all the attention. She seems eager, at least!!

Little Hare

I laybyed a clear quartz crystal ball yesterday! she has rainbows all through her and because i know the proprietor of the shop really well he gave me discount and free stand!

*YAY*

Pumpkin

peace_pixie said:
I laybyed a clear quartz crystal ball yesterday! she has rainbows all through her and because i know the proprietor of the shop really well he gave me discount and free stand!

*YAY*

Jumping up and down for you. :D

They are so beautiful. I have two and my eye on another.

Little Hare

Pumpkin said:
Jumping up and down for you. :D

They are so beautiful. I have two and my eye on another.

hehehe crystals, like tarot are an addiction