The Pamela Colman Smith Centennial Deck review thread

GryffinSong

felicityk said:
The deck in the USG set is called the "Smith-Waite Tarot Centennial Edition". Also, in the first post there are photos of the USG set, so I don't see how it could be misleading.

Felicity

And that photo also says "commemorative set". It's both apparently. I think confusion is warranted. ;)

gregory

Well, if there is any mention of books and extras, we know we mean USG. (It had never actually occurred to me that this thread could be about the LoS deck - then again, as it is harder to get in N America, I guess I tend to assume that it means USG - and the OP is in the US, too...)

The LoS one calls itself the Pamela Colman Smith, by the way, and nowhere does it (or their catalogue) say anything about commemorative or centennial. So I think that settles THAT bit ! Now there IS the German centennial one in the rosewood box, of course... Waite Tarot Jubiläums Edition... :D

greatdane

Just got my Pamela Set!

Love it all, I think the colors are better in person than the scans.

I AM a bit miffed at Amazon. I emailed them immediately after ordering and asked it be packed well, I didn't want the box damaged. It arrived by UPS and....box is smooshed, a bit of paper is coming away from the box, so emailed them and seeing about getting a new box. OK, not to get off topic, just saying disappointed in how it came packed and if anyone is ordering from Amazon, MAY not hurt to ask it be especially well-packed. I know others who got theirs from Amazon and they were in great shape.

karen0205

greatdane said:
Love it all, I think the colors are better in person than the scans.

I AM a bit miffed at Amazon. I emailed them immediately after ordering and asked it be packed well, I didn't want the box damaged. It arrived by UPS and....box is smooshed, a bit of paper is coming away from the box, so emailed them and seeing about getting a new box. OK, not to get off topic, just saying disappointed in how it came packed and if anyone is ordering from Amazon, MAY not hurt to ask it be especially well-packed. I know others who got theirs from Amazon and they were in great shape.
Call them and they will send out another box with a return label for the damaged one. Don't wait for a reply through email.
They might not get to it.

greatdane

um actually Karen....

They said they COULDN'T replace it as it was just the "packaging"! OK, do WE all see the box the set comes in as just....packaging?? I don't. They said I could send back and they would refund. Such a pain in the..... I responded back to them and said that those who get tarot decks do NOT see the boxes, particularly collectible ones, as just "packaging" and I would spread the word that Amazon will not guarantee they come in proper shape (they said unless INSIDES were damaged, they said they couldn't send another one as box could likely still come in less than perfect shape, yep, they did state that). I just got an email saying they want to give me a good will coupon for 10 to use on Amazon. I don't want that. I want what I paid for, a set, which included the box, in good shape.

SO JUST AN FYI....if you get a box that's damaged, according to Amazon, only packaging and they will refund but they will not replace it.

Carla

They'll take it back if you return it and choose just to say you ordered it by mistake or changed your mind. Those are options on their 'reasons'. Then you could just order it again, maybe from a different place where you could rely on them to package well. They'll keep the cost of shipping it to you when they refund...It seems clear they're not going to package any better than their standard packaging, so there's probably no point in ordering from them again for that set.

greatdane

Exactly Carla!

I do love the Pamela Set, and I want a proper box, but I'm not done with Amazon quite yet, we're still eming back and forth. But I thought good for any ATers to know that they don't consider something damaged if what's inside is still good. OBVIOUSLY they don't know tarot readers who consider packaging important. I just hate the bother of sending things back, so am still looking for another solution, but again, ADORE the set, well done for the money. Yes, the bindings on the books could have been a bit sturdier, but other than that (and the fact it looks like monkeys jumped on the box and tried pulling the paper from the cardboard), I think it's great.

greatdane

The Pamela Set and US GAMES

Stuart Kaplan RULES! I emailed him regarding the problem I had with Amazon and the damaged box for the Pamela set and if I might just buy an extra box. He is sending me, gratis, a new and pristine box today :). He apologized for Amazon's handling of the situation and said he hoped that sending the box would help. SO I DON'T have to bother returning the Pamela deck AND will have a perfect box for it. But this is a Caveat Emptor, let the buyer beware re Amazon and how they view damaged boxes.

Back on the Pamela track, I am planning on framing some of the artwork. The cardstock I find very nice. Does everyone like it? It doesn't feel too slick and while I know the backs are not the original, I like how they look.

Carla

GD, you are SO assertive! Well done, I would never have thought to email the man himself.

greatdane

HI Carla

In all fairness, another ATer gave me the idea and being the shy Crone I am....I didn't hesitate because I believe in trying many avenues to get what I want. I DID think it was amazing of him and he got back to me immediately. SO US GAMES will be getting more of my direct biz from now on. I know they're a bit more than Amazon, but at least US GAMES responded and it wasn't even their problem.