The Secrets of the Tarot by Barbara Walker

EmpyreanKnight

I'm about to purchase the Barbara Walker Tarot in a Tin when I came across this book. I am so much in awe of the deck that I'm willing to pay quite a steep price for the new copy I found. Before this tho, I would like to ask the members here who own this book if it did delve in detail into each and every card of the Walker Tarot. I've read the very few reviews of the book online and they were not very conclusive.

Unfortunately, I have encountered companion books that devoted a majority of its pages in scholarly expositions on the history of the Tarot, the deck's theme/motif and how it developed through the ages, how it was created etc but discussed the meanings of the cards in a few measly pages, almost like an afterthought. I just hope the book won't be this sort since I would really want to conduct an in-depth study of the deck when I have the time later this month.

The primary thing I want to know is if it describes each card in depth. But if you also want to include how well-written it is, the veracity of its scholarship, if it's helpful and informative, etc I will appreciate it too.

One thing - I think I've read somewhere that the book was written even before the deck was produced? Is this true?

gregory

There are 55 pages of general stuff - but not all is tarot; there is also a fair bit about myths, symbols and sexuality (The Yoni Yantra). Then there are very detailed descriptions / background to the majors (the Greater Secrets) - pages 58-135 - a brief discussion of what the minors are "used for" as you might say - and about a page on each of the minors (pages 141-225) followed by a massive bibliography. And yes, well written and scholarly. I'd say it is just what you are looking for.

I would add that my copy cost me a mere $8 CDN in an occult store where they also sell used stuff, two years ago. Hermit's Lamp, in Toronto. He often has stuff that isn't on the website - it's worth asking. (And I see there are very reasonable ones on abe, too. Unless you WANT new, specially ? ISBN is 9780062509277)

My book is dated 1984; the deck as listed here says 1986. The book, however, does say top contact US Games for "a complete set of cards based on the artwork by Barbara G Walker." So it looks as if you may be right there.

EmpyreanKnight

There are 55 pages of general stuff - but not all is tarot; there is also a fair bit about myths, symbols and sexuality (The Yoni Yantra). Then there are very detailed descriptions / background to the majors (the Greater Secrets) - pages 58-135 - a brief discussion of what the minors are "used for" as you might say - and about a page on each of the minors (pages 141-225) followed by a massive bibliography. And yes, well written and scholarly. I'd say it is just what you are looking for.

I would add that my copy cost me a mere $8 CDN in an occult store where they also sell used stuff, two years ago. Hermit's Lamp, in Toronto. He often has stuff that isn't on the website - it's worth asking. (And I see there are very reasonable ones on abe, too. Unless you WANT new, specially ? ISBN is 9780062509277)

My book is dated 1984; the deck as listed here says 1986. The book, however, does say top contact US Games for "a complete set of cards based on the artwork by Barbara G Walker." So it looks as if you may be right there.

As always, you've been such a huge help, gregory. Complete and detailed answers that just about answered my questions. You've helped with some of my previous queries too, so lots of thanks! :thumbsup:

And welp, this book just fell in my shopping cart along with the Walker deck, I just hope they find their way into our islands before the monsoon comes. Something tells me this deck is going to land in my all-time faves.

EmpyreanKnight

The book just got here and I'm already devouring it like so much chocolate. If you have the deck and you truly wish to explore it, you really have to get a copy of this book. I wish they would re-issue it in a new edition but that'd be pretty far-fetched. Oh well, back to the book.

IHeartRescues

Well I have the deck, so I finally found a good price on a used copy of this book. (I prefer to recycle already existing copies of most books bc it makes me feel better idk..). And it's on it's way soooo

I like her. (meaning: I like her writing) and the Goddess and the I Ching book which i read this year.

We shall see!

EmpyreanKnight

I hope you have a delightful albeit edifying time with her book like I did, IHeartRescues. :)

IHeartRescues

EmpyreanKnight, anytime one is learning something new, is pure delight! I hope you will share what you have found the most helpful, when you are done "devouring" !

I am still waiting for the delivery, and am trying to finish a very "hard" book in the meantime. :/ (Looks like I will have to renew it fm the library as it's slow going.)

EmpyreanKnight

I loved what you said about learning, IHeartRescues. I'm glad I found a fellow scholar (at heart) here. :)

I definitely plan to share the knowledge I'd glean about the BW from this book, along with other resources I can get my hands on. Just you wait. ;) I hope you'd take part in it too.