Symbolism in the RWS 6 of Cups

ravenest

A cold 'snap' on that day . It even happens here in the middle of summer.

Zephyros

A cold 'snap' on that day . It even happens here in the middle of summer.

Or perhaps because the Sun is shining on Scorpio, and that falls on October-November

I'll admit, that was a shot in the dark, feel free to disregard

Richard

Yes, the second decan of Scorpio is in the exact middle of autumn, but in the temperate region of the northern hemisphere, you don't normally leave potted plants outside then.

Maybe in merrie olde Englande there be cool days in summer, I dunno. It would be a rarity where I live.

I guess Scorpio would be mid-spring in the southern hemisphere, and there certainly would be chilly days, especially in NSW, I would think.

Teheuti

This is 'men's business' (and technically women should not even be writing about it ... but I dont mind :) ) , women are not allowed in the Temple and not allowed to become Freemasons.
You've never heard of Co-Masonry? I visited a Masonic Temple that is women only in Melbourne, Australia. The women members (mostly elderly) were amazing and totally into the esoteric significance of the rituals.

Regarding the symbolism of the RWS High Priestess - I'll be doing a three-hour online class on just the High Priestess on January 10th and will be going into a lot of Waite's references in his other works to the symbols and the card. It is the key to his entire deck as he makes clear in several places.

Why 'trump' what is inferred from a reading of Waite's many books not directly about tarot, with a clear statement in a book about tarot and that specific card saying what it actually is ?
Because Waite says there is more and that he is just giving "intimations" of what else exists to the discerning reader. If he says his symbolism is based on the "Secret Tradition" and he writes many books about that Secret Tradition (the focus of his life's work), then it seems shortsighted to throw all that material away.

Obviously this kind of approach doesn't work for you, which is fine. Stick to his exact words and don't try to look for what he might be referencing by them. Personally it deepens my appreciation for what he was trying to convey through the deck - especially in the Major Arcana - but then my degrees are in English literature where I was trained to look more deeply into an author's choice of symbolism. BTW, quite a few of Waite's odd statements in PKT turn out to be exact quotes from his favorite mystical texts. It's been quite a treasure-hunt to find them and see how they relate to his text.

I think it is up to each individual to determine how far they want to take the symbolism. And symbolism, by definition, points to something beyond itself.

Your point seems to be that what doesn't make sense to you doesn't exist at all.

ravenest

Yes, the second decan of Scorpio is in the exact middle of autumn, but in the temperate region of the northern hemisphere, you don't normally leave potted plants outside then.

Maybe in merrie olde Englande there be cool days in summer, I dunno. It would be a rarity where I live.

I guess Scorpio would be mid-spring in the southern hemisphere, and there certainly would be chilly days, especially in NSW, I would think.

Oh yeah ... I forgot that down here that upright card would be reversed and the meaning or reversed down here would be upright

})

ravenest

You've never heard of Co-Masonry? I visited a Masonic Temple that is women only in Melbourne, Australia. The women members (mostly elderly) were amazing and totally into the esoteric significance of the rituals.

Of course I have heard of it , my co - partner in OTO work (and one time head of the local group) was a woman with a 3 generation background in Theosophy and co-masonry...

and I have many DEGREES in such matters :)

But you know as well as I do that co-masonry IS NOT Freemasonry ... why do keep trying to fudge things here ?

Women can not be Freemasons ... thats it and you know that as well as I do .

Regarding the symbolism of the RWS High Priestess - I'll be doing a three-hour online class on just the High Priestess on January 10th and will be going into a lot of Waite's references in his other works to the symbols and the card. It is the key to his entire deck as he makes clear in several places.

So ... put it up here to prove or demonstrate your point then - simple . (Not the workshop, but the references. )

Because Waite says there is more and that he is just giving "intimations" of what else exists to the discerning reader. If he says his symbolism is based on the "Secret Tradition" and he writes many books about that Secret Tradition (the focus of his life's work), then it seems shortsighted to throw all that material away.

Who is throwing it away ? ... just list the clear references to support your statements, that's all.

Obviously this kind of approach doesn't work for you, which is fine. Stick to his exact words and don't try to look for what he might be referencing by them. Personally it deepens my appreciation for what he was trying to convey through the deck - especially in the Major Arcana - but then my degrees are in English literature where I was trained to look more deeply into an author's choice of symbolism. BTW, quite a few of Waite's odd statements in PKT turn out to be exact quotes from his favorite mystical texts. It's been quite a treasure-hunt to find them and see how they relate to his text.

I think it is up to each individual to determine how far they want to take the symbolism. And symbolism, by definition, points to something beyond itself.

Sure ... do you have a limit though? MIne is ; in this card, with the Masonic allusions to gloves and aprons ...

which, I notice, my outlines of WHY I protest dont get answered, just more stuff gets shovelled on top ... its a masonic glove : no it isnt . Well what about the apron? : No, thats not a Masonic Apron . Well a b c d e .... fine, I can keep addressing things stacked on top of other things that dont get answered - whatever. <shrug>

Your point seems to be that what doesn't make sense to you doesn't exist at all.

No, thats your bad and rather poor summary of the many relevant points and demonstrations I have made ... please dont use that typical reaction that it all boils down to my ' lack of sense' ... or other dismissive comments .

It isnt that it doesnt make sense .... just to me Mary .... I am not the only one here with this opinion.

kwaw

Or perhaps because the Sun is shining on Scorpio, and that falls on October-November

I'll admit, that was a shot in the dark, feel free to disregard

The second Decan of Scorpio, ruled by the Sun, covers the period c.November 2 to November 11, when in the UK autumn is blending into winter, and getting chilly (between high of 13 deg Centigrade and low of 9 deg Centigrade on November 1 on average in London and decreasing throughout the month).

Perhaps the older child is not gifting the younger the potted plant, but passing them to her to take them in ! They are helping the gardener walking back to the buildings in the background ;)

ravenest

Dont you mean ; 'the guardener ' ? ;)

Richard

Dont you mean ; 'the guardener ' ? ;)
Probably a cop or a rent-a-cop security guard patrolling the grounds. He doesn't seem to be concerned about the alleged dwarf's (?) prurient interest (?) in the little girl.

Aoife

Probably a cop or a rent-a-cop security guard patrolling the grounds. He doesn't seem to be concerned about the alleged dwarf's (?) prurient interest (?) in the little girl.

As I said in the opening post, in "Tarot of The Heart" Thompson, Mueller & Echols say,
"In Jungian psychology, the presence of male and female figures directs our attention to internal male [animus] and female [anima] energies and the retreating adult tells us this is a recognition and developmental joining that we can only do alone. He cannot protect us".

I guess in some readings the motivation of the guard may be of particular importance? Do you have any real life reading experiences to contribute?