Halloween Oracle: Spreads

Glass Owl

In addition to the three spreads found in the deck's booklet, I thought it may be nice to have a thread for sharing other Halloween spreads that may be fun to use with the Halloween Oracle. Please feel free to modify the spreads listed to suit your needs and experiment. You could also incorporate other decks while using your Halloween Oracle, such as the Halloween Tarot.

Reminder
When listing a spread be sure to list the name of the spread, its author, and its source (including a link if it is from a thread here at ATF.)

Glass Owl

quintessence's Halloween Costume, Trick & Treat Spread (3)
Going to a Halloween party? I designed this spread for such an event. Just 3 cards.

1***2***3

1. Costume. This card reveals a persona or attitude the party person can "wear" during the party.
2. Trick. This card reveals what might not be what it seems at the party.
3. Treat. This card reveals what treat can be had from the events that transpire at the party.

Jamie_1311's Trick - or - Treat Halloween Tombstone Spread
*2*
1*3

The Trick - 1 = What kind of tricks might be coming your way.

The or - 2 = Why these Tricks or Treats might be happening, also shows how they are linked or what may be the key to the two outcomes. It can go hand in hand. What you think could be a trick might be a treat and what might be a treat might be a trick.

The Treat - 3 = What kind of treats might be coming your way.

Three Halloween Spreads Posted by Astraea Aurora - Author Unknown
The author said that this is really three little spreads in one, A, B and C. You could easily use just parts of it.

..........A..........
.....B1......B2.....
C1......C2......C3

A is The Costume.
The costume reflects the persona which you’d like to show to your environment. It shows how you are feeling and how you’d like to be viewed. It is an expression of your innermost personality.

B is Trick or Treat. (B1 is the first card, B2 the second one.)
B1 is Treat. The best you can hope for on this Halloween holiday.
B2 is Trick. Shocks, surprises or disappointments that can end up in your trick or treat bag this Halloween night.

C is The Goblin, the Ghost and the Pumpkin. (Again, C1 is the first card, C2 the second one, C3 the third one.)
C1 is The goblin of your existence. It is the monster that is hiding in the closet of your subconsciousness and the imp that is hiding under your bed. Something that is frightening you on this Halloween night, or it is simply annoying you.
C2 is The ghost of your past. This is an event or an experience that is haunting you often. It may be hard to get rid of it. Here is your chance to get to know this ghost and guide him into the light.
C3 is The pumpkin in your garden. It is your potential to grow and to progress. It is the jack-o-lantern that lights up your path to the door or it can be Cinderella’s pumpkin carriage that brings transformation and change.

Illy's Trick or Treat Spread

Kind of like a candy bag with handles on the top...

1) The treat - what you're hoping for
2) The trick - what you aren't expecting or are hoping to avoid

3) The hard candy - what you need to let happen in its own way and time.
4) The chewy candy - the issue/person that bogs you down and sticks like taffy
5) The tart candy - lessons that need to be learned (don't cram 16 Warheads in your mouth at the same time)

6) The caramel apple - what's good for you about the issue
7) The pixy stix - what's bad for you about the issue
8) The shiny toy - the object/person that is the shiny distraction from the issue at hand

Fire Cat's Halloween Jack-O-Lantern Spread
*** 1******2

1. The salt in your eye: Where is the problem coming from?
2. The twinkle in your eye: What prospect will help you best deal with the problem?
3. What makes you frown: What is unsavory about this prospect?
4. What is on the tip of your tongue: What are you forgetting that will help?
5. What makes you smile: What you like about the prospect.

Rachey's Pumpkin Spread (8)
****1****
**2*3*4**
*5*****7*
**6*9*8**
(layout by Ivy Rhiannon)

1. Cutting out and removing the lid: What you need to temporary lift to enable you to see yourself clearer?
2. Scooping out the pumpkin: What you need to work hard on or work through?
3. The seeds you reveal: How you can grow? Your potential?
4. The flesh you remove: The obstacles in the way to let you grow?
5. The hollow: You darker self. What is within you that remains unseen?
6. The carving: What you need to pay attention to?
7. The candle: How you can best shine? Your postives? How to reveal your darker self?
8. Replacing the lid: How you will feel more content? The improvement you will notice?
9. Placing the pumpkin in the window: How others will see you and respond?

The Witch's Brew by IheartTarot
****3****
*4**1**5*
****2****

1) What is troubling you (the ailment)
2) What you are afraid of (the trick)
3) What you are hoping for (the treat)
4) What you can count on (the cat)
5) What will cure you (the remedy)

Glass Owl

The Veil Between the Worlds: Halloween Night spread by Chiriku (4)
1. A situation heretofore hidden, from which the veil is being/will soon be drawn
2. Forces that work against you
3. Forces that work in your favor
4. A message to you from those beyond the veil (advice or warning)

The Trick Spread (2) by Glass Owl
-

1. Your Trick: How you trick others
2. The Trick The World Plays On You: How others trick you

Dia de los Muertos Spread by Pandora MoonRaven
Besides Halloween this is a favorite spread of mine since I work heavily with those passed on as well as Ancestors. I cooked this up and it has worked good. Supposed to be in the shape of a cross which is commonly seen on the graves where food, and other offerings are left. In this holiday the dead are honored and remembered. Stories are told about them as well as their quirky points and good/funny memories. I just love it. Anyway..I figured since Halloween spreads are popping up why not have this one. :eek:)

Dia de los Muertos Spread

********2*******
********3*******
***4*5***1***6*7
********8*******
********9*******
*******10*******

1. What Ancestor is contacting me now?
2. How is the Ancestor doing on the other side?
3. Who is this Ancestor with on the other side?
4. What favorite memory would this Ancestor like to share with me?
5. Is there a message the Ancestor would like to give me?
6. How does this Ancestor guide me in my everyday life?
7. How long will this Ancestor be my guide?
8. Is there anything the Ancestor wants from me?
9. What does this particular Ancestor want me to do to honor them on the day of the dead (give food offerings, blanket offerings, deliver messages to loved ones?)
10. How would this Ancestor like me to honor them throughout the year?

Samhain/Hallowe'en Spread by Elendil
We are not many weeks away from Samhain/Hallowe'en.
Here is a spread that I developed and created with a Tarot colleague on another forum which is now defunct.

SAMHAIN SPREAD

Purpose: to gain insight into the new cycle that begins at Samhain

Layout

* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *A2

* * * * * * * * * * * * * I6 * * * * * * * * * * * * *A5

* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * S1

* * * * * * * * * * * * * H4 * * * * * * * * * * * * *M3

* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * N7

S = Self (Where I am now)
A = Ambition (Where I would like to be)
M = Motivation (What drives me)
H= Hopes and Expectations (What I would like to achieve)
A = Adjustment I need to make (An area that needs special attention)
I = Idea (to consider)
N = Next step

The layout represents opposing triangles with the 1st Card: Self at the centre. Cards 2:3:4 are read clockwise whereas Cards 5:6:7 are read counter-clockwise.

Shuffle up your favourite deck and let the cards fall as they may…

Glass Owl

Halloween Spread by Tracy Hite, ATA Treasurer, Networks Manager
"I knew early on that I wanted the layout to look like a Jack-o-lantern, and finally settled on a trick or treat theme. I wanted the "eyes" to be the tricks, thus using the cards to open my eyes and expose the tricks. That left the Jack-o-lantern's mouth for the treat cards."

(Cards 3 and 4 are at angles and the card 5 is turned sideways to create the mouth.)

--1-2--
3-----4
---5---

"The last question (the horizontal card at the bottom of the mouth) is where a jack-o-lantern's candle shines brightest. If you use reversals, you'll need to decide for yourself how to tell if that card is upright or not. One way would be to read it whichever way it's drawn; I chose to read it as upright regardless of how it landed in the spread."

1. How am I tricking others?
2. How am I tricking myself?
3. How can I treat others better?
4. How can I treat myself better?
5. How can I shine?

Morgana's Trick or Treat Spread

1. What do you want in your Halloween bag? (what is your goal?)
2. What costume are you wearing? (what role are you playing as you work toward that goal?)
3. Tricks (what is in your control - what 'tricks' can you do to work toward your goal?)
4. Treats (what isn't in your control - what 'treats' come to you without your effort?)
5. What do you take home? (what comes to you from this experience?)

"By the Light of the Moon" (A Halloween/Samhain) Spread by Wisp Wings
Shuffle and cut the cards as desired. Before laying out the spread, state aloud: "By the light of the moon on this hallowed night we seek these answers......."

*********3*****
*******2*******
*********1*****

(The spread should be half-moon shaped.)

1. "What tricks do you excel in? These are your talents you have or are able to develop in your life." (See this as "Strengths")
2. "What treats or gifts are you to receive? Perhaps this is a gift you have in your life that you need to harvest, instead of allowing to lay at waste in the field." (See this as Gift)
3. From the spirit world, what advice shall this realm impart to you. (Spirit Advice card)

The Haunted House Spread by Metafizzypop
The layout of cards is supposed to be shaped like a house.

--------7--------
----5-------6-----
3---------------4
1-------8-------2

1 - The Skeletons in the Closet - The secrets you keep from others.
2 - The Rats in the Basement - The secrets you keep from yourself.
3 - The Black Cat in the Parlour - What makes your claws come out?
4 - The Jack O Lantern in the Kitchen - What, or who, would you like to take a knife to and carve up?
5 - The Ghost in the Bedroom - What, or who, haunts your mind and thoughts?
6 - The Spider in the Bathroom - What totally creeps you out.
7 - The Bats in the Attic - What drives you to the brink of madness.
8 - The Front Door - The way out of all this insanity ......... or maybe, the way in.

Halloween P-P-F Spread Posted by le fey
"I used a cute variant of the past/present/future 3 card spread last year to good effect. I *think* it's from the Halloween Tarot actually. This is a paraphrase because I don't recall the exact wording."

1 Past - the Ghosts that haunt you from the past.
2 Present - the Goblins that spook you in the present
3 Future - the Pumpkins that are your future harvest.

Trick or Treat Spread by Aulruna
1. Costume: What you're wearing for the party - the situation.
2. Trick: The shadow/the unexpected
3. Treat: The positive side/opportunities
4. The Candy Bag: What you can take home - the outcome.

The Magic Cauldron Spread by Sammie.
--2--
4---3
--1--

1. What is in the pot? Current situation or problem
2. What stirs the pot? What influences, agitates or stirs the situation
3. What needs to be added? What can be done to enhance the situation or solve the problem
4. What comes out of the pot? How the situation or problem will work out.

Flaming Chalice

Chalice's spreads

The Autumn Leaves spread by Flaming Chalice

**********************4 (North)
3 (West)******************************1 (East)
**********************2 (South)

Lay these out according to where the directions actually are in relation to where you are sitting.

1 - The Turn card (air and east) This represents the dawn of fall, when the leaves begin to change colors. It also represents the dawn of the querent's situation.

2 - The Fall (fire and south) This is the transformative part, the crux of the situation, the "now or never" card. I

3 The Crunch (water and west). Children (and other joyful leaf-stompers) kick and crunch through the leaves, just because it feels good. This is the emotion card of the reading.

4 - The Pile (earth and north) This represents manifestation; what will you rake in? What will be in your leaf pile?

The Candy Corn Spread by Flaming Chalice

This is for questions that have a time frame in mind, and that time frame is flexible. It could be very specific (next week, the week after, 2 weeks later) or more general (near future, future, far future.) It divides the reading into 3 phases. Each layer of the candy corn represents a period in time in the future, each layer tapering off. It looks like this:

1------2------3
----4------5--
--------6-----

Cards 1, 2, and 3 describe the first stage, 4 and 6 the second stage, and 6 the third. You could add more specific meanings to the cards, but I like to leave them a little open.

I used these spreads in the following thread, if you want to see them in action: http://www.tarotforum.net/showthread.php?t=223387

Luna's Crone

these are great. can mix the cards and use both the oracle and tarot together in these spreads?

Glass Owl

The Autumn Leaves spread by Flaming Chalice

**********************4 (North)
3 (West)******************************1 (East)
**********************2 (South)

Lay these out according to where the directions actually are in relation to where you are sitting.

1 - The Turn card (air and east) This represents the dawn of fall, when the leaves begin to change colors. It also represents the dawn of the querent's situation.

2 - The Fall (fire and south) This is the transformative part, the crux of the situation, the "now or never" card. I

3 The Crunch (water and west). Children (and other joyful leaf-stompers) kick and crunch through the leaves, just because it feels good. This is the emotion card of the reading.

4 - The Pile (earth and north) This represents manifestation; what will you rake in? What will be in your leaf pile?

Glass Owl

The Candy Corn Spread by Flaming Chalice

This is for questions that have a time frame in mind, and that time frame is flexible. It could be very specific (next week, the week after, 2 weeks later) or more general (near future, future, far future.) It divides the reading into 3 phases. Each layer of the candy corn represents a period in time in the future, each layer tapering off. It looks like this:

1------2------3
----4------5--
--------6-----

Cards 1, 2, and 3 describe the first stage, 4 and 6 the second stage, and 6 the third. You could add more specific meanings to the cards, but I like to leave them a little open.

Flaming Chalice posted and used these spreads in the following thread, if you want to see them in action: http://www.tarotforum.net/showthread.php?t=223387