Is there interest in starting a new study group?

Starling

I was going to try to revive the study threads, but I don't think that would work. There are threads for the signs, but not for any of the other pieces of Astrology's puzzle. I'm wondering if there is any interest in beginning again, at the beginning?

dadsnook2000

What topics are you thinking about?

There are a lot of topics that could be covered. Once we pass beyond the most common ones such as planets and houses, where would you go next.

SIGNS have a zillion books, magazines and on-line references as resources. I doubt that anyone could offer anything new to this topic.

HOUSES are always interesting, but they are also well covered everywhere.

PLANETS have already been covered, even in combinations and in phase relationships with each other.

ASPECTS have not been covered in an independent thread.

RULERSHIPS are similar to signs. Not only are there some variations, but they are covered in lots of places.

DERIVED HOUSES are interesting but may be confusing to many of the new to astrology members or the early-studies members.

ARABIAN PARTS are interesting to some.

SECONDARY PROGRESSIONS might be considered.

SOLAR RETURNS are probably a bit advanced for a good part of the list, as there will be some confusion between Tropical, Precession Corrected, and Sidereal types of Solar Returns.

I'll be glad to support just about any topic the list wants to pursue, except for signs which I consider as worthless for most applications. Dave

afrosaxon

I'll sign up. Like Dave said, I have found good information on houses, planets, etc. on other websites. I can get a basic understanding of those.

Anything beyond that, I'd like to learn.

T.

Starling

I've looked at a lot of Astrology forum sites and no one is doing beginner conversations about the basics. I know that what I am looking for sounds odd. Most of the sites have sections where beginners are looking for someone to read their charts. And they aren't finding much help there most of the time, although the ones who ask their questions in the right way are answered.

I guess what I would love to figure out a way to do something like we were doing with the 21 Ways Study Group. There we all talked about our own card. Maybe we could do things like talking about where our own Sun is, which sign, which house and what its aspects are, and then move on to the Moon, Mercury, etc.

I'd like to try the sentence thing, not just for my configurations, but for those of other people too.

I know that there is plenty of reading material, even if you just do the online thing. I'm doing that, but there is also the kind of practice you would get in a group. We are doing a lot of one card conversations on the Using Tarot and Talking Tarot groups, and I've learned a lot there.

afrosaxon

Ah...gotcha.

Well, I'm still in. Breaking it down like I'm a two-year-old appeals to me, because I am not that versed in astrology.

Keep us posted!

T.

Starling said:
I've looked at a lot of Astrology forum sites and no one is doing beginner conversations about the basics. I know that what I am looking for sounds odd. Most of the sites have sections where beginners are looking for someone to read their charts. And they aren't finding much help there most of the time, although the ones who ask their questions in the right way are answered.

I guess what I would love to figure out a way to do something like we were doing with the 21 Ways Study Group. There we all talked about our own card. Maybe we could do things like talking about where our own Sun is, which sign, which house and what its aspects are, and then move on to the Moon, Mercury, etc.

I'd like to try the sentence thing, not just for my configurations, but for those of other people too.

I know that there is plenty of reading material, even if you just do the online thing. I'm doing that, but there is also the kind of practice you would get in a group. We are doing a lot of one card conversations on the Using Tarot and Talking Tarot groups, and I've learned a lot there.

Promise

I've always held an interest in astrology, but every time I've tried to get into it, all of the "basics" just go way over my head, and I get disheartened and lose interest.

If it was as afrosaxon said and very "two year old", I'd definitely be interested.

Starling

OK, I'm going to start by beginning a game we can play making sentences about planets, signs and houses.

Let's continue to talk about other ways for those of us who can't get out of the beginner's area to practice what we are trying to learn.