Bohemian Gothic-The Lovers

Thirteen

I'm amazed at how many good Majors there are left to be covered. Like this one. How could we miss this one? Well, actually, I can see why this one might have gotten lost in the shuffle :grin: There are other cards in this deck with a similar gent and lady scenario and it's easy to think the Lovers was covered when it wasn't.

It's also a deceptively simple card. It hasn't a lot of those symbolic details that we search for with our magnifying glasses. And yet....!

A tuxedoed gentleman, handsome as a silent movie star moves to set his lips to a woman's throat. Now here's what's interesting. She has her hand at the back of his head. This is ambiguous as it could be her way of holding on as he leans her back, but she could as easily be pulling his head in. Likewise, she wears the strangest expression on her face. While his expression, eyelids lowered, seeming to inhale her fragrance, is pure romance, hers seems a mix of bland acceptance and tense anticipation. As if she is waiting for something more to happen with this bite or kiss. One thing is certain, there is nothing of love or romance in the look. Her focus is either internal or on something else entirely. A dead stare we might say. Above, the moon is being hidden by ominously dark clouds.

As with other cards in this deck, most particularly 2/Cups, we might well ask which one is doing the seducing? Which one wants that neck kissed/bitten? Is he going for it, or is she making him go for it? Is she under his hypnotic powers and this accounts for the stare, or is she working on keeping him hypnotized? Or maybe she is the mortal who, as in King/Cups (Nosferatu), is sacrificing herself so that the vampire will perish? Or neither one may be a vampire--she might be a witch working a spell, or just a poor girl giving herself to a rich man for money. And what about those clouds over the moon?

This card is curious, as the Lovers card is at the best of times. The Lovers is a card that always features Lovers, but it's never about "love" so much as it is about making a choice to go after something you want, something you need and feel is right for you. This card reflects that meaning in several ways, I think. The woman's open eyes suggest that she's going into this with eyes wide open. She may not be happy about this, but she seems to be making a conscious choice. That she may be pulling the man's head in (or at least not pushing it away), also suggests that it might be a choice. The man, in contrast, suggests the other part of the Lovers card: instinct. His eyes are closed and he's following his instincts in going after what he wants.

The dark clouds are a gothic play on the angel/cupid that is usually pictured over the Lovers. Dark or not, it still symbolizes the spiritual connection being made with this "kiss." As those lips and throat meet, so do the dark clouds over the moon.

Other thoughts?

Surja76

Oh difficult to say something about this card .... I feel I am in this deck as an elepfant at porcelain shop. :grin: :grin:

I do not know if it is possible for Karen to add to any card some her creative paculiarities before our thoughts, or may be brief card history description, the same she did with gloves or Priest origin, we could have correct symbolic way.

Anyway I agree with Thirteen, it is really difficult to say who is vampire of them.
I can only add to symbols I see.

I think this man is "loosing his head" because of this girl (hand on the man's nape is the symbol of Victim), I think this man is the victim of her beauty, and he can not cope with his passion (kiss or bites to her neck :) ).
But I think this kiss can be fatal .... but for whom???
I really not sure who is victim.... She or him?

Neck is the symbol of flexibility and dependency provisions. She concedes him.

She has big round eyes. And if the Moon closed with cloudes I think something should be reflected in her eyes.
Big round eyes are Solar symbol. But what is it? The Moon - Death? or the Sun - life? What is in her eyes?

If he is vampire so that he want to suck her blood, so that I can suppose it is feeling of the Moon in her eyes she feels her soon Death.

If she is vampire and he is the victim it should be any ritual under which his kiss should make her alive and he should give his energy for this kiss.

I confused at all with this card!!!! :) :)

Thirteen

Surja76 said:
If she is vampire and he is the victim it should be any ritual under which his kiss should make her alive and he should give his energy for this kiss.
Well, in the novel Dracula, the vampire feeds Mina Harker his blood. This creates a spiritual bond between them. It allows Dracula to control Mina from afar, and the two of them can telepathically communicate. This, in a dark way, fits the Lovers card perfectly as (to my mind) the card is usually about finding a spiritual/psychic relationship with someone or something (as compared to a purely romantic or physical attraction). It's about connecting to that someone or something on an almost telepathic level.

So, perhaps the woman, a vampire, is making that final the connection between her and this man. Once he drinks her blood, the two of them will be spiritually and psychically connected.

Obviously, the deck creators want us to be uncertain about who is the prey and who is the predator, who is attacking, and who is surrendering. But perhaps that's also important. Depending on the story we see, it could be either, or it could be both. Both "preying" on the other, both surrendering to the other (?).

How do you see this image as relating to the traditional meaning of the Lovers card?

Surja76

Thirteen said:
Well, in the novel Dracula, the vampire feeds Mina Harker his blood.
So, perhaps the woman, a vampire, is making that final the connection between her and this man. Once he drinks her blood, the two of them will be spiritually and psychically connected.

Aha interesting! Thank you! I think you are correct.

Thirteen said:
How do you see this image as relating to the traditional meaning of the Lovers card?

1) in stable relationships or partnership:
-------------------------
In this case Lovers is very positive card but in the case if two persons in one pair are ready to work together for one purpose.
For example:
If there are two partners in business, they are under the contract or under agreement, each of them has his/her own duties and they work together in order to get profit and to develop heir common Company.
But in this partnership should be clear agreement according to the work, professional position, subordination, wages or profit each of them should be received, in order to avoid professional jealousy. Only in this way, this cooperation will be a successful. They should not have different points of view to the same problem. They should not doubt in each other.

If I make a spread for family and among other good cards Lovers is appeared I can say that family is good and partners agreed each other, they work together in order to make their family more stable and successful, and each of them play his/her own role and does not disturb the other one.
BUT. In order to reach this success they have to make a decision who will take responsibility in this pair and for what. Who will earn money, who will take care of house and children.
There should be agreement, choice between feeling and responsibility. This choice should be made not under the press but mutual free decision.
Anyway one of them should give a way to other in relationships.

If there are many bad cards near Lovers I can say there is no agreement in the family. Each of them draw ones blanket to his/her own side, or one try to press other.
They can not give way to each other, one of them (actually, it is woman) should be more flexible.
If not, this situation can be lead to betrayal, divorce, love and harmony is under danger in this case.
-------------------------------------------------

For personality:
------------------

I can say that this person does not live with his/her own mind. He is like little child can not make decision himself. He is too weak.
For example is the man listens to the opinion of friends, or parents when he choose the girl or job. Any friend give him his own thought so that his parson is always in hesitations. He should be more stable and try to make any way HIMSELF.

In reserved card for me it means that person do not want to listen to anyone and stay at his position if this position even wrong. He should be more flexible and listen to the more experienced.

Situation:
-----------
And this is card of Choice as traditional. And actually it is not stable card I always add 2 additional cards. Like itis Not and it is Yes to know what choice should be.
Person is just before important Choice in his/her life or he/she has no any Choice if card is reserved.
Choice to stay at or to change job, to stay at relationships or divorce.
With Court cards - the Choice between two girls or two boys.

WolfyJames

Yes, there is a vampiric element definitively in the card, and you ponder which is the vampire and the victim. I also think about something else in this card, about the movie Cat People (the original). In the movie, if the "cat woman" gets too emotional or aroused sexually, she turns into a panther and kills whoever is there with her. The woman on the Lovers card could be such a woman, who cannot resist this handsome man and fears what might happen if she goes ahead with him kissing her and have sex with him.

With the moon in the back, I think of course as well about werewolves. Is the moon coming out? The man looks more the typical romantic vampire to me so I'm guessing she is the werewolf worried the moon might come out, she could rip apart the man next to her.

So I find that an interesting card. He could be a vampire seducing her, she could be the vampire seducing him, or she is either a cat woman or werewolf and she is terrified at the idea to "turn" and kill him. Or they're both and they don't know it, each either seeking a victim or the vampire having a very bad surprise as he thinks he has a victim but she turns and kills him (whether he goes along with the kiss or the moon comes out), or they know and they're just being careful, kissing in the shadows when the moon is hidden.

Thirteen

WolfyJames said:
With the moon in the back, I think of course as well about werewolves. Is the moon coming out? The man looks more the typical romantic vampire to me so I'm guessing she is the werewolf worried the moon might come out, she could rip apart the man next to her.
LOL! I love the idea of them both being monsters, both not knowing it, and both about to prey on a predator!

That could work for the Lovers as well. It is often the #6, a number of balance and equality.

Surja76

WolfyJames, thank you added your viewing, it is splendid.

This card is corresponded to the Card of the Moon, only there is the moon like element of emotional contact. The Moon open the light to them. They recognized each other. werewolf on the earth and wolf on the Moon feel contact to each other. That choice is already made.

Lovers' moon is Hidden. These both is mystery for each other. their real faces "hidden in clouds". They should taste each other, they step forward in shadows. They should try each other to make right choice.

kisou

I have to admit this card makes me a little uncomfortable. Not because of the closeness of the figures or the semi-erotic nature of the male (vampire) who will be soon getting down and dirty... but by the willingness of the female. Or rather, the vacant expression and the slight hint of a tear forming in her eyes. It's difficult to see what this female is thinking or if she's thinking anything at all.

The hand on the vampire's head makes a motion that the female accepts this act and knows what she's getting herself into, but her vacant expression while looking away doesn't really lend itself to it. It's almost like a duty to perform, or a resignation, or almost the following through with a dare against someone behind you. She doesn't look at us- she seems either mesmerized by someone behind us or is just plain spacing out. Did she think about succuming to the vampire before and is merely following through with her decision? It makes me think of the prostitute that feels empty inside and does what she does out of an internal feeling of emptiness :(

The vampire on the other hand is so carnal. Even the colour of his skin pushes me to think of just how different he is than the woman. In the regular deck I have, he has a slightly blue tint; bloodless, sorta. All he can concentrate on is the beautiful neck that has presented itself and how much he longs to touch it. Extremely erotic! The facial expression of the woman and the facial expression of the vampire are completely at odds~ There's a crazy disconnect between the two.

So what's their relationship? I honestly don't think they're very close. As much as their physical relationship to one another might misleadingly imply that, if they were truly romantically (?) in love, the vampire would have been aware and kind to the woman's vacant stare; he would have cared. Maybe it's something as simple as the female wanting to "feel" something again? Her hand on his head implies she really wants whatever it is he's going to give her (that sort of vampire life).

As for the moon in the background... well, I really don't have much to comment on that. The moon is strikingly bright but is so hidden. This feels like a decision the woman is making and wants to remain a secret, before others find out. The moon is peeking out and the woman is rushing the bite. There's definitely a sort of determined-ness about her grip...

Thirteen

kisou said:
I have to admit this card makes me a little uncomfortable. Not because of the closeness of the figures or the semi-erotic nature of the male (vampire) who will be soon getting down and dirty... but by the willingness of the female. Or rather, the vacant expression and the slight hint of a tear forming in her eyes. It's difficult to see what this female is thinking or if she's thinking anything at all.
Did you read any of the previous posts? Just because the gent in is in a tux and leaning the lady back doesn't mean HE is the vampire. Maybe the lady is sad about this, but it's all together possible that she's got him in her thrall, not vice versa. Read the other posts!

So what's their relationship? I honestly don't think they're very close.
If you read the others posts, you'll see. It could be powerfully, POWERFULLY close. The surface appearance could be deceiving us. If this is a kiss from victim to vampire, rather than vice-versa, if the man is about to drink the blood of a vampire, then they will be connected in a psychic way that is incredibly intimate and psychic.

You have to be careful with this deck. Don't make easy assumptions. Just because the man is in a tux and "on-top" doesn't make him the aggressor or the lady the victim. That ambiguity is what is so wonderful about this deck.

OctoberGwen

I see the classic scenario here: the woman as an enthralled victim of a vampire. (And yes, I did read all the posts so far. ;-)) To me, her eyes look completely terrified - which clashes with the strange, almost peaceful expression on her face and the hand on the back of the vampire's head. This is what makes it a disturbing card, imo. She knows that her fate is sealed, and she couldn't turn back if she wanted to (and her eyes say that part of her wants to, very much indeed.)

These two are bound together (perhaps for eternity), and if it's love that binds them, it's the epitomy of unhealthy love!