Oriental Tarot / Tarocchi Foudraz, Giordano Berti

Philippe

I do not have the pleasure of knowing Mr Berti.

I will perhaps be able to give more precise information by the end of the week, but at this stage here is what I can say :

Foudraz and his wife came from a valley located in the french department of Savoie (73). Considering the fact that they have children between 1825 and 1835 they are certainly born french under the revolution or the empire. If the tarot sheet is really from 1845 he made it at the end of his life as he deceased before 1853. His wife died between 1853 and 1856. He was not a wealthy man, certainly not very successful in his career : at the same time as he was engraving the tarot sheet in Turin he lost a daughter. She was 11 yo AND she was a worker in her parents' native valley...

The two newspaper adverts dated 1857 & 1864 I've posted earlier cannot concern him.

gregory

He's here... I will PM him !

giordanoberti

Regarding Claudio Foudraz

Dear Mr Philippe,
thank you very much for your news.
I would like to have more details about Claudio Foudraz and his family.

Regarding the printing date of the Oriental Tarot, it is absolutely sure, because the deck was deposited in Turin by Claudio Foudraz in January 1846... and it is not possibile to create 78 drawings like these in less than one month.

Because of the surname, I supposed that Claudio Foudraz came from Savoy or Aosta Valley.
As you know, the Savoy region was a part of the possessions of the Savoy family until 1860, when it was given to France as a "gift".
Do you know precisely from which valley came the Foudraz family?

The two adverts discovered by you are very interesting: they give us a little help to retrace the Foudraz genealogy.
Can you tell me where you found the news about the death of Foudraz wife and sons?

Please give me every news, if you can, because I would add them to the next booklet attached to the Oriental Tarot. Of course, I will quote you in the notes.

Thank you very much

Giordano Berti

https://rinascimentoitalianartenglish.wordpress.com/oriental-tarot-1845/

I do not have the pleasure of knowing Mr Berti.

I will perhaps be able to give more precise information by the end of the week, but at this stage here is what I can say :

Foudraz and his wife came from a valley located in the french department of Savoie (73). Considering the fact that they have children between 1825 and 1835 they are certainly born french under the revolution or the empire. If the tarot sheet is really from 1845 he made it at the end of his life as he deceased before 1853. His wife died between 1853 and 1856. He was not a wealthy man, certainly not very successful in his career : at the same time as he was engraving the tarot sheet in Turin he lost a daughter. She was 11 yo AND she was a worker in her parents' native valley...

The two newspaper adverts dated 1857 & 1864 I've posted earlier cannot concern him, but his son called the same first name and lithographer as him, probably born in Turin circa 1830.

kwaw

Probably already aware of, there is a little about him in an advert in the Piedmont Gazette, 1833:

content

https://books.google.com.tr/books?i...AEIHTAA#v=onepage&q="Claudio Foudraz"&f=false

And from the Museo Torino:

FOUDRAZ CLAUDIO. Litografo torinese. Nel
maggio 1829, essendosi estinto, per la morte di
Felice Festa, il privilegio per l'esercizio dell' arte
litografica in Torino, aprì un suo stabilimento
in via del Seminario, 8 (attuale via XX Settembre).
Nell' agosto del 1829 pubblicò un ritratto
della principessa di Carignano, che costituì il suo
primo lavoro litografico e che fu disegnato su
pietra dall'abate Denina. Nel I834 annunziò la
pubblicazione della raccolta di ritratti dei papi
dalla collezione di Superga, disegnati da Giambattista
Battaglia e nel settembre dello stesso anno
ne erano già stati pubblicati otto. Nel gennaio
del I846 traslocò in via Stampatori n. 6 (casa
Ceresa). Nel 1851 è elencato nella Guida Marzorati
come litografo con stabilimento in contrada
degli Argentieri n. 10.

There was also another lithographic printer under the name Foudraz who had print shops in Nice and Chanteully.

Philippe

Dear Mr Berti,

You can use any of the informations given in this thread as you want provided that you quote me. Claude Foudraz is such an outsider in the tarot world, without your rendition of his deck nobody would have heard about him. It will be my (little) contribution to his resurrection.

Claude Foudraz was born on 4 February 1802 in Bessans (vallée de la Maurienne). He was the son of Sébastien Foudraz & Anne Clappier (godfather Adrien Clappier, godmother Rose Tracq). What did his parents do for a living ? I have not researched yet... but they were probably peasants.

4 Fév 1802 naissance de Claude Foudraz à Bessans by PhilBeDaN, sur Flickr

I have yet to find his marriage certificate but his wife was Marie Sabine Riond (or Rion) born on the 28 Thermidor an XIII -ie the 16 August 1805- in Lanslevillard another village of the Maurienne valley. Her parents were Pierre Antoine Riond, farmer, and Marie Elisabeth Platon.

28 Thermidor an XIII naissance de Marie Sabine Riond Lanslevillard A by PhilBeDaN, sur Flickr

28 Thermidor an XIII naissance de Marie Sabine Riond Lanslevillard B by PhilBeDaN, sur Flickr

Philippe

40 years later, on the 8 July 1845 precisely, a certain Catherine Clémentine Foudraz, eleven years old, born in Turin, died in Lanslevillard. She was the daughter of Claude Foudraz lithographer residing in Turin (Torino) and Marie sabine Riond ménagère (it doesn't mean here a housewife but a person who exploits a small farm in order to survive imo) residing in Lanslevillard. Yes they apparently didn't live together.

8-7-1845 décès de catherine clementine Foudraz à Lanslevillard by PhilBeDaN, sur Flickr

Philippe

Eight years later, on the 13 August 1853, another daughter Anne Marie Elisabeth, born in Turin the 16 January 1829, is a cook, a housemaid probably, Rue Centrale in Lyon (nowadays Rue de Brest). She marries a farmer from Cassuéjouls (Aveyron 12). At this time Claude Foudraz is no more alive and Marie Sabine Riond is still residing in Lanslevillard

mariage Cayla Foudraz 13 aout 1853 lyon by PhilBeDaN, sur Flickr

to be continued...

Le Fanu

My goodness, such extraordinary detective work!

giordanoberti

Research on Claudio Foudraz by Mr Philippe

Dear Mr Philippe,
thank you very very very much for your news.
You are doing a great research !

I stopped the printing of the second series of booklets that accompanies the Oriental Tarot 1845 because I want to add the results of your investigation.

In the first booklet I wrote just the story of Foudraz in Turin.
If you like, I can send you the text in Word; so you can make a comparison with all informations in your hands.

Best regards

Giordano Berti

giordano.berti@gmail.com

Eight years later, on the 13 August 1853, another daughter Anne Marie Elisabeth, born in Turin the 16 January 1829, is a cook, a housemaid probably, Rue Centrale in Lyon (nowadays Rue de Brest). She marries a farmer from Cassuéjouls (Aveyron 12). At this time Claude Foudraz is no more alive and Marie Sabine Riond is still residing in Lanslevillard

mariage Cayla Foudraz 13 aout 1853 lyon by PhilBeDaN, sur Flickr

to be continued...

Philippe

Dear Mr Philippe,
thank you very very very much for your news.
You are doing a great research !

I stopped the printing of the second series of booklets that accompanies the Oriental Tarot 1845 because I want to add the results of your investigation.

In the first booklet I wrote just the story of Foudraz in Turin.
If you like, I can send you the text in Word; so you can make a comparison with all informations in your hands.

Best regards

Giordano Berti

giordano.berti@gmail.com

Thank you Mr Berti,

I need a few days to collect more facts and to order what I already have.

I agree to receive the text in Word. I'm going to send you my private email address with my complete name.

I will post the following chapter this evening.

May I ask you whether you are fluent in french ?

Cordially