View Single Post
Student of Astrology

Minderwiz 
Medium Term Methods

The Medium Term is perhaps six months to two years. Methods that could be used are:

Solar Return Charts. Each year the Sun returns to the degree and minute it was at when you were born - your solar birthday. A Chart for that moment will give information about the year ahead. Solar Return charts are derived from your natal chart and are subordinate to it. They must be read in conjunction with the natal chart and must not be seen as being more important than the natal chart. Key issues surround the way in which the chart is read - they should NOT be read in the same way as a natal chart. Traditionally it was the similarity or difference from the Natal chart that mattered, especially in relation to the signs on the four angles (and therefore the planets that ruled those angles)' as well as planets on or near those angles. An issue which Dave has become associated with, is whether or not to correct the charts for the precession of the equinoxes - the slight shift of the Sun against the stellar background at the time at which it appears to cross the equator at the vernal equinox in the North. This change is quite small, about 1 degree of movement over 72 years. The older we get the more the effect of precession occurs. For me if I want to go by the Sun's actual position against the stellar background at the time I was born and the time it reaches that exact same position this year I have to recognise that it needs to move nearly a whole degree further. Hence we now have two competing methods for calculating SRs and arguments as to which is best, or even about whether they are complementary.

Profections - as stated in the previous post, I use profections, along with Solar Returns, for medium term forecasting, and advance the five traditional points by approximately 2.5 degrees for each month into the year that I want to examine. So 6 months in the future is examined by progressing my profected points by 15 degrees. Prediction is made by examining the relation to the natal chart.

Lunar Returns - similar to Solar Returns and covering a lunar month (in terms of one rotation around the zodiac). These could be used either to break down the Solar Return into 'convenient' chunks or as a method in their own right. A year really is the maximum period that these work in any easy way. I've tried them but I don't use them now.

You will also find other symbolic time period methods - a day for a lunar month, or a lunar month for a year are sometimes used. Perversely both of these are referred to as Tertiary Progressions. The month in question in both cases is the synodic month - that is the length of time from one New Moon till the next, which is longer than the lunar return to its zodiacal starting point (because the Sun is also moving).

In mundane Astrology much use is made of the Aries Ingress - a chart cast for the moment that the Sun enters Aries each year and cast for the capital city of the country. The Aries ingress was seen as the 'solar birthday' of the country because many countries could not point to an exact moment in time when they came into existence. This has been supplemented in the Twentieth Century by actual birth charts, as decolonisation and the creation of new states after the two world wars gave exact birth times to new countries.

Probably the earliest example of the use of 'natal' charts for a country is the Sibley Chart for the USA. Created by the English Astrologer, Ebenezer Sibley and timed for the signing of the Declaration of Independence (or at least an educated guess as the exact time is debatable).

We do know that many royal coronations were timed for an Astrologically auspicous time - the most famous being John Dee's election chart for the coronation of Elizabeth I. Such a chart could also have been used for Solar Returns, or Aries Ingress comparisons.
Top   #5